1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google knows "Click Fraud"

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by anthonycea, Apr 10, 2005.

We have been going back and fourth on the ADSENSE CHEATER Threads here on the forums and have even been fighting about if we should be the Google Police Department here at Digital Point.

Some members think that Google needs us to go out an catch these click fraud kiddies and websites that are set up to defraud Google and other PPC companies and advertisers alike.

So since it is such an explosive subject I decided that it really needs it's own thread at Digital Point so we can get all of our feelings out in the open and come to some conclusions on how the forum should deal with this issue and what we can and maybe should do about it, or not do about it.

A good starting point of reference is the article below published a long time ago on the subject.

http://news.com.com/Exposing+click+fraud/2100-1024_3-5273078.html?tag=nl

We want to hear from everyone that has anything to say, so let's get it going :eek:

PS: All members, please do not post any live links of any ADSENSE Cheaters in this thread or any links at all to ADSENSE CHEATERS, because I am going to ask Shawn to delete your post if you do.

anthonycea, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Click fraud is such an old topic, and it can't be stopped if a person had the intention and a good idea and concept on how to do it without google's knowlege or anyone elses. Google has several ways to detect click fraud and it is exposed to the user if the user decided he needed to find this information. The click frauders that get caught, were just not good at their dutty and triggered google to notice.

I want to ask you a question about your statement "please do not post any live links of any ADSENSE Cheaters" How would a person thats not affiliated with google staff or department of adsense would have the knowlege to make a solid statement that the person does click fraud. Wouldnt it all be just pointing fingers and hate towards rivals ect..

City2, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    City2, we have had a rash of threads here in the ADSENSE forum where members would find violators by doing a search on Google for the keywords "Please support us by clicking on the Adsense Ads", then posting the pages found URL as live links on the forum and that would become a thread.

Then when the webmaster gets here from the referral link we get into a insult fest within the thread attacking the webmaster for his violations and in most cases the members here attacked each other by the time it was over and done with.

Just don't want that to happen in this thread, if you want to find those examples we have a ton of those threads in the Adsense forum if you want to go read them.

4. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand. Isn't this Google and Overture's job to take care of? I know Adwords advertisers would be concerned with this issue but really, what can they do about it on a large scale other than complain?

vprp, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Your question is one of the main questions that I have, what should we do as a forum about this and have we done what is right in the past :confused:

Not always........

6. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed this the other day also

www swapclicks net

MattUK, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  7. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    dam sites like that should be taken down right away!

report to google, report to webhost.

TheWebJunkie, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  8. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    The truth is for every one that Google knows about and comes down on, there are 50 more that start up.

Content ads are a joke and I stopped running them a long time ago.

yfs1, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I would put a sub forum, with a disclaimer...(+ a way to stop it coming up in the 'new posts') that way I can just avoid it...and people that want to post can...

Design Agent, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  10. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're right, it would be impossible for Google to track them all down, even if they did more would spring up overnight. You can notice that these guys ask for people not to link to them - hoping to avoid detection I guess.

MattUK, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  11. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anthony if you want to discuss this, then get the thread moved to the PRIVATE AREA
    so if a website does get clicked, and then tracked back to here, they cant read whats posted,,,unless they join ;)
    (notice yfs's now LIVE link),

Solicitors Mortgages, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Because of that nonsense I see no point in taking this thread seriously.

We can link to wherever we want.

Everybody knows how you think of it.

T0PS3O, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  13. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I originally didn't post a live link as I thought the same as you - why help these guys? But they want to avoid having links posted to them it makes their schemes easier to detect.

MattUK, Apr 11, 2005 IP
    nullbit likes this.
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I don't don't think that some of these guys realize what they are doing when they post a live link, but it seems that you can tell them the same thing a thousand times but they either don't read the threads before they post or just don't care.

PS: TOPS the nonsense is when folks like you post live links and turn a discussion on click fraud and how the forum should handle it into another Google Cheaters thread trying to draw more idiots on the forum to insult, I think that you are part of the problem and I guess you can't read real well either.

anthonycea, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    That one ;)

yfs1, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If you don't care about the forum why are you a member here?

Do you think it is alright to just litter a thread with stupidity, the original poster leaves a dead link and you make it live and repost it. :confused:

17. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Posting a live link pointing out a site defrauding millions has nothing to do with it
    I was replying to the thread and when did I litter this thread with stupidity?

Since when are you a moderator?!?!?! If Shawn was to post "Please don't link to companies defrauding millions", then it would be a rule and I would abide by it.

Last time I looked, you didn't moderate this forum and therefore have no right to tell me what I can and cannot do.

yfs1, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    This thread is not about drawing offenders in like some of you guys like to do, we are trying to discuss click fraud and if it is correct conduct for this forum to post live links just to bring in the very folks are discussing, but I guess that is hard for you to understand even though others clearly do.

19. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I forgot you set the rules, sorry

PS. Im removing the link to the Blog T0PS asked me to link to so that no one makes the mistake to think we have something in common

yfs1, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  20. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The first time "we" did "it" was indeed silly to a great degree. You keep refering to that first time AC. Subsequent 'efforts' have been much more civilized and all have resulted in a swift rectification from the offending webmaster's behalf. So we succeeded every time and mainly because a live link led the webmaster to the light.

I will not stop posting live links to offenders unless Shawn or an other DP moderator asks me to stop this. I disagree with your reasoning and shall completely ignore you telling me what to do in these cases.

T0PS3O, Apr 11, 2005 IP
    NeoGen likes this.