1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate content - how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Google' started by justPlugIn, May 16, 2010.

Hi all,

I started affiliating for the first time just two weeks ago.
    I started writing articles in my own blog linking to products and also added few articles to squidoo.com.

The issue: I was too naive and posted the same articles on my blog and squidoo (and also another site).

How angry will that make Google?
    Should I delete all the duplicates myself to prevent Google from ignoring me?

Anyone has knowledge/experience with this?

I only now read about article spinning - sounds like littering the Internet with useless content. As a person that loves writing more than anything else (well, I can think of one thing I love more...) I find it hard to accept that I have to semi-clone my article in few versions that will probably reduce its quality.

Am I being naive again?

Thank you for your time! :)

justPlugIn, May 16, 2010 IP
  2. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest to create maybe a short summary of your main article then create a link going to your main or full version of your article.. squidoo might outrank your main site..

bogs, May 17, 2010 IP
    justPlugIn likes this.
  3. stevecane

stevecane Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd delete all of your duplicate content apart from one copy, even if it didn't upset Google there's no point having it. It certainly won't do you any good . .

Ste

stevecane, May 17, 2010 IP
  4. spearson360

spearson360 Peon

Best Answers:
    You really need to keep attention with duplicate content! Google is trying everything to just index and show pages with unique informations. THIS MEANS: your ranking could suffer, or your sites will even be removed from googles index!!!!

spearson360, May 17, 2010 IP
    justPlugIn likes this.
  5. Hoa

Hoa Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it is not effect with duplicate content

Hoa, May 17, 2010 IP
  6. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

thank you for your answers - they do make me think and change stuff accordingly.

The question is: how do anyone outside Google know what or how Google indexes of how its algorithms actually work? After all this is the biggest Google secret, isn't it?
    What one can get information about "how does Google work"? I am sure there are a lot of unreliable rumors out there. What do you think?

justPlugIn, May 17, 2010 IP
  7. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It won't do you any bad. It won't do you any good either. It will just be ignored by google.

fadetoblack22, May 17, 2010 IP
  8. thedreamer09

thedreamer09 Active Member

Best Answers:
    duplicate articles will be deindexed. I faced a similar situation earlier

thedreamer09, May 17, 2010 IP
  9. clbyodo

clbyodo Peon

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content on any site will not get indexed by Google.

clbyodo, May 17, 2010 IP
    justPlugIn likes this.
  10. east

east Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I never understoud how Google can find out whos duplicate and whos the first one, If I have a website in europe, and somebody else copy my article after 3 minutes that I publish it, and his he first one to be indexed......My article is duplicate? :)

east, May 17, 2010 IP
    justPlugIn likes this.
  11. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe Google looks at the saved date on the HTML file to check which was created first. But still this doesn't answer text that is being generated from a db like when reading from a bolg - the date is saved on he db.

12. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you actually know when your pages are not indexed or are being removed from the index?

Thanks!

13. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    fadetoblack22, May 17, 2010 IP
  14. tnbturbo

tnbturbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no penalty, but duplicate content will probably not stay indexed. Or if it does will rank low.

tnbturbo, May 17, 2010 IP
    justPlugIn likes this.
  15. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    I like that! :)

16. ronancarr

ronancarr Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, the duplicate content is a myth and your article will not be de-indexed.

Proof: I recently received a PR release for one of my sites...a site i am competiting with who rank number 1 for my keywords (I am working on passing them and taking no.1 spot).
    Anyway, I released the Press Release after they did and now my site shows up if you search for the keywords of the article and not theirs.
    My guess is, if you have a high PR site with good SEO strategy, then you can have any duplicate article rank on Google.

In your case, I would say that Squidoo will outperform your site for your article and keywords.

ronancarr, May 17, 2010 IP
  17. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes its a myth!

Here, try this as an example..... Search for some song lyrics on the web and tell me how many sites come up with that same lyrics on their sites?

How about all those news sites, that post the same news about the world, to thousands of sites? Journalist publish this crap all over the net to get the word out, because they want their articles read, and read by the millions.

One other thing, never delete content, unless you absolutely have too. Meaning, only if its going to destroy your life or reputation.

GuruCreation, May 17, 2010 IP
  18. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    It is like going to three doctors with the same medical problem - each will tell you something different and in the end you will end up more confused than before.

Even that I might say: ronancarr and GuruCreation did put some reliable facts into this discussion. Simply can't argue with what they say.

I must say I was spiritually broken today - I know I know, this is foolish but when I heard Google might not index my, with much effort written, articles I got rather depressed.
    I also have hard time thinking I must duplicate my content in many different variations to ever get a chance to see anyone buy using my links.

19. sumanhaldar

sumanhaldar Active Member

Best Answers:
    What about this ?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shilpa+shetty&start=900&sa=N

Page 74 of about 2,560,000 results (1.03 seconds)

only 733 out of 2560000 Webpages got lucky. Ironic.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
    sumanhaldar, May 17, 2010 IP
  20. ronancarr

ronancarr Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok justPlugin,

So I did some research for you AND google may de-index or remove url's from their results if the believe that the content was duplicated in order to manipulate the search engine.
    So for your articles, you should do this in order to publish the same article without changing it up.

Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, Google will always show the version we think is most appropriate for users in each given search, which may or may not be the version you'd prefer. However, it is helpful to ensure that each site on which your content is syndicated includes a link back to your original article. You can also ask those who use your syndicated material to use the noindex meta tag to prevent search engines from indexing their version of the content.

My source is Google themselves, here is the link http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359
    Whoever reads it,then it should clear up all myths and rumours surrounding duplicate content.

ronancarr, May 17, 2010 IP