1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submit your deep pages to my new Deeplink Directory.

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by Old Welsh Guy, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:

A sitemap category is out of the question (sorry), because no one visiting a directory is likely to be interested in a sitemap. :)

BUT!!!!

You raise a damn fine point with regard the about us page, adn it has lit a spark of suggestion.

Say you are a web design company from Canada. People have been coming along and adding their home page to the index under say web design. What they SHOULD have done for best exposure, is add their 'about us' page to web design, and then people who visit our site, will be able to hit the web page that tells them all about YOU, which is what they want.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    1. Not a 'problem' because how can more than one page be relevant to the same category? If you have two identical pages then your site is built wrong. You should submit your MOST relevant page to the category. It eally is that simple.

2. you summed up in your opening words why there is a 5 page limit. Are you seriously telling me that you have a site with hundreds of different category topics? Unless you are a directory, this is not going to happen (by directory I include article sites etc as well).

There WILL be more than 5 pages per site, we have not restricted this, what we have restricted (at this point) is 5 SUBMITTED pages. Admins can add as many as they like, and these will not be counted in the 5 page max rule when our cron job to detect them runs.

The resource only has a few hundred pages at the moment, if we allowed you to submit 200 pages, it would appear to the search engines to be nothing more than a site set up to provide your site with multiple backlinks. It isn't, it is a genuine resource.

The reason we limit one page per category is to help YOU as much as us. By FORCING you to think which of your pages is the most relevant we are also forcing you to look at your site with a different set of eyes. By only having a SINGLE link from that category page, you can be sure that the search algo's will understand that THAT page is the most relevant on your site for the category theme.

In short, we have taken into account a lot more things than meet the eye on this. It is not just a quick resource to get a few cheap backlinks, and the people who treat it like that without putting thought into it, will not benefit as much from those that do. ;)

dct likes this.
  3. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    That is a very nice directory, I've submitted a few but think I also may of submitted 2 pages on the same site to the same category. I did read the rules though missed that one some how (sorry totally my fault as they are there in plain red and white).

Good luck with it, it's one of only a few directories that I have bookmarked.

dct, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  4. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Submitted a few. Suggestions for categories:

Under Antiques and Collectibles (either Recreation or Shopping):
    - Glassware
    - China & Dinnerware
    - Figurines

Under Real Estate:
    - Condos & Town Homes
    - Agents & Realtors
    - Sales

As usual, OWG has another wonderful idea for site and content! :)

North Carolina SEO, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I believe you're starting a new trend, OWG. I'm sure soon a lot of directories will allow deep links as well.

Blogmaster, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  6. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There are seriously many legitimate sites that would have many more than five useful pages on a specific topic - any quality niche-based article site for example. I'm not sure what you were referring to when you used the term "article site", but I'm not talking about those massive sites like ezine articles or whatever... but rather niche-focused sites with unique content (hardly "directories"). I can understand your reasoning, but I do think it's a bit limiting when those are the kinds of sites that likely have a strong interest in deep links, and who are actually providing quality content visitors might have a bigger interest in seeing. Just something to consider if you ever change things up a bit. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    HI Jenn,

I hear what your saying, and as I have aluded above we are not limiting our pagination to 5 pages per site, only the SUBMISSION of 5 pages per site. Each site is manually checked. If it is deemed to be a good resource for other topics, it is tagged. We will then add these as and when we build topics up. The reason we set the 5 page rule is to stop people adding 100's of pages, in fact ALL of their pages. Dya know we have even had people submit 'contact us' form field only pages? I mean why in gods name do they think that would be accepted?

We are well aware of the need for this but it ESSENTIAL we control the volumes of links from anyone source.

With regard having more than one page for a topic I agree, but if a site has multiple pages that are relevant to a specific subject, then it is logical to submit the sub home pageof that group of pages eg. www.domain.com/childillness/colic/ this would be the group page of the many content pages on that subject.

This is what I mean by submit your most relevent page. why should we accept 20 pages on child colic, when the index page in that folder would hold links to all 20? If the subject 'colic' can be broken down into more than one sub topic, then suggest a category (there is a facility to do this on the site, and they are currently being accepted within hours) .

I hope this has helped explain things further, and congratulations on setting up your own deep link directory ;)

8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    lol I definitely understand the thought process behind it. Contact pages is pretty ridiculous.

Unfortunately, not all content based sites are broken down by subjects. Just using two networks I've worked with as examples... at About.com articles are grouped and sub-grouped by the Guide. At Suite101.com, currently articles aren't grouped beyond the separate subdomain sites... they're simply archived after they're posted. Different types of sites do things differently, although I agree the subsections make more sense in the long run.

lol yeah well, you booted so many of our writers from Suite, and other directories I found were too limiting as far as deep linking, that I finally gave in and set up one just for individual articles to keep them and these style sites in mind. Thanks for giving me a reason to have to do it. ;)

Jenn

jhmattern, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is interesting that you mention this. While I was submitting one of my sites, I thought "Wow this is a challenge, I CAN NOT submit my home page and if I want 5 links they have to be from pages different enough to fit into different categories."

It forced me to think differently about my site. One of the pages I submitted was one I would have never thought about submitting to a directory before. Yet, should you accept it, will bring a new set of targeted traffic my way if I get some SEO traction on the link phrase.

What a new twist on a concept (directory sites) that is beginning to get a little worn around the edges!

Best of luck with the site.

YMC, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  10. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    quick update, 257 pages listed in Google. So if your dragging your heels on submitting then you are missing out on what will be an almost instant backlink!

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 16, 2006 IP
    sagetips and YMC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.