1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you go about pricing your work?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jaclom_studios, May 16, 2010.

I have lost probably 75% of the jobs I could have had, due to not knowing how much to charge.
    How do you guys go about pricing your work (big emphasis on web design)

And then, so how much should I charge for something like this job i'm talking to someone about?

"We are a local nonprofit youth baseball and softball league, and we are in need of a fresh website. We would need a basic website that would serve the needs of our league. Those needs would include, but would not limited to, news and announcements, a calendar of events, the ability for visitors to download forms, a contact page listing board members and contact info, and possibly a photo gallery and an area for league merchandise, (sweatshirts, t shirts and the like).

We would also need to be able to maintain and update the site with our volunteers, who would not have extensive website knowledge. I would like to get an idea of what you would charge to build such a site."

Thanks

jaclom_studios, May 16, 2010 IP
  2. meholaman

meholaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like what they need is Joomla based website, which can cut down on the amount of work you need to put in considerably. I'm guessing they're American which means I'd charge more than for others, but then nonprofit and youth... normally means they won't have great assets. I'd probably charge them about $100 without e-commerce, e.g. if they just want to display their merc, and double that if they want you to set up e-commerce extension as well.

That's how much I used to charge when I did this sort of thing, and my hourly waged would average around $20-25 as these things are super quick to set up and customize designs for.

Best of luck!

meholaman, May 16, 2010 IP
  3. Madenism

Madenism Peon

Best Answers:
    2 simple words.. Quality & Quantity.

Madenism, May 16, 2010 IP
  4. jaclom_studios

jaclom_studios Peon

Best Answers:
    Well they were wanting a custom built site, no cms.

and madenism, that doesnt help me at all

5. Madenism

Madenism Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me explain it a little deeper for you.
    Would you say you are a VERY good web designer? If so, charge top rates.

6. jaclom_studios

jaclom_studios Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'm good, but im just going into college, so my portfolio isnt that large, so im trying to keep prices somewhat low.
    But I have no idea how much to charge people, so I can never give them a quote and I lose so much work.
    I'm just trying to figure out hoe some of you go about pricing your work.

7. Madenism

Madenism Peon

Best Answers:
    Have a browse through the design forums. A lot of prices knocking around for certain types of work. Try to be competitive with other designers.

8. nellement

nellement Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can contact designers which work you like or is similar to yours,and ask them what average prices they have,when you get average price,see if that will meet the effort you'rte going to invest in project,if not charge more if yes charge same or little lower price.
    NEVER work for cheap even if you're student,I know students who make fantastic quality works,and they all should charge higher prices.
    If anything work for FREE better than ppl reffer to you as guy where they can get logo for 5 usd.

Also dont listen to advice above,where guy says : Quality and Quantity,those two doesnt go well if you're one man firm.
    Focus on few pieces but top quality pieces,and thats more than enough to get new projects.
    Don't go over QUANTITY as major in your business,that will take you nowhere,you will loose your soul,you will need to do 20 projects a day,which all have only 1 hour to be done,tell me how something quality can be made in that amount of time?

Be patient and persistent,price fairly and see yu as main pricing factor first,than see client's situation.
    Also if you need to lower price,see if u can get some advertising banners,publicaton see if lowering the price for that client can bring you other goods.

Hope it helps,sorry if some mistakes,am not english speaking guy :)

nellement, May 16, 2010 IP
  9. nellement

nellement Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you need more help abt pricing factor,let me know will help.

nellement, May 16, 2010 IP
  10. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Around $200 for the site.
    And the site maintenance is count by monthly basic $30/month.

mentos, May 17, 2010 IP