1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Had my first client today!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by likeke34, May 15, 2010.

Just some thoughts...

it was a rush job because he was gonna be on tv tonight so he wanted it up before he could advertise so i ended up working pretty much around the clock

-it was a lot harder then i expected it to be lol, and he was really nice too...

-he offered up to $250 but he has other sites too so i figured i'd go 170 to get more work down the line, he ended up paying me 180

-designing for others is really hard imo...

-i personally didn't like the fonts he chose and i had trouble getting the specific font he wanted (wasn't installed in my photoshop or fireworks)

-i thought my proposal was nicer than what it ended up but he was a very good client and i hope to do business w/him again

-he said he's going to recommend me to his co-workers who are all real estate agents (this was for a music site of his)

-i'm just worried that other clients might not be as friendly...

-also worried that i might be in the middle of a project when i suddenly get asked to do something i can't (my skill level is still very low)

likeke34, May 15, 2010 IP
  2. micheallatour

micheallatour Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly what did you design for him, if you don't mind me asking?

micheallatour, May 15, 2010 IP
  3. likeke34

likeke34 Peon

Best Answers:
    i designed a really simple one page site for him... he's a musician and was on tv tonight so he wanted it done before he got to drop his sites name... personally i think it could've came out better then it did but maybe i'll get to work on it some more

likeke34, May 16, 2010 IP
  4. Stealth777

Stealth777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats! BTW You shouldn't be worried, just do what you know and if you can't do something be honest and don't try to say you can. :)

Stealth777, May 16, 2010 IP
  5. deaglezor

deaglezor Member

Best Answers:
    Gratz.. I'd to see the design, if you don't mind..

deaglezor, May 16, 2010 IP
  6. likeke34

likeke34 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks guys! yah i had to turn one guy down already because he wanted me to build an iphone app in addition to making his site... i'm trying to learn a little php and trying to get a login page running just so i can have it in part of my skillset and for me it's HARD lol...

likeke34, May 16, 2010 IP
  7. ceaseer

ceaseer Peon

Best Answers:
    Start networking and finding experts in other fields. You will not become an expert in all fields so if you want to be competitive you will need to offer all services. There is nothing wrong with freelancing part of a project out, just be confident they will do good work as you would. Maybe see if someone is skilled in your local area which makes trusting someone a little easier.

ceaseer, May 16, 2010 IP
  8. likeke34

likeke34 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tip! i started looking through the classifieds to see if there's anyone i could make a connections with

likeke34, May 17, 2010 IP
  9. www.CaseyEquip.com

www.CaseyEquip.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulation!

www.CaseyEquip.com, May 17, 2010 IP
  10. kerisblog

kerisblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    congrats ... mate
    and hope you can share helpful and success story here ...
    :)

kerisblog, May 17, 2010 IP
  11. MsNita

MsNita Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey congratulations! And great tips on outsourcing some of the work that will come your way. No one can do it all, so connecting with others who can do what you may not be able to do (or may not have the time to do) - is a very good practice.

Looks like you can make some outsourcing connections right here on this forum to help you out from time to time, as well.

Best wishes to you!

Anita

MsNita, May 18, 2010 IP
  12. likeke34

likeke34 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the replies! idk why i never thought of it but getting people right here on this forum to work on things i can't do is a great idea! thanks

likeke34, May 19, 2010 IP
  13. ajinkyax

ajinkyax Peon

Best Answers:
    ajinkyax, May 19, 2010 IP
  14. MissMimm

MissMimm Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations on your first client!

I Love the oatmeal! I'm actually going through something like this right now. One thing you really have to do with clients is try and reason with them when they expect something completely outrageous or stupid from you. Tell them why these two design elements don't work and that their site will probably end up looking like crap If you keep mixing elements. Ya know, just in a more gentile fashion.

Also, outsourcing is awesome, especially when you don't exactly know how to do some things. Plus its a really cheap way to get quick results. Some people sell websites and outsource the entire thing, then they just pack it all up and send it to their client. No work needed on their part.

MissMimm, May 21, 2010 IP
  15. dCartes

dCartes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations mate!
    In the beginning, we might find the first client a little depressing,
    but in the end, it's actually quite liberating.

dCartes, May 22, 2010 IP
  16. likeke34

likeke34 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks! as of right now i haven't really gotten anymore clients lol... i've done only one more site since then. i have gotten quite a few inquiries though, but nothing has come of it... right now i'm only posting on craigslist but maybe i should find some other way of advertising

likeke34, May 22, 2010 IP
  17. Pinoguin

Pinoguin Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations! : ) First clients are always exciting, just be sure to not ever disappoint him/her so they don't go to other freelancers.

Pinoguin, May 22, 2010 IP