1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eCommerce Platform - Confusing!

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by l3vi, May 10, 2010.

I have read thread after thread, review after review and I have not found any group of people leaning toward one ecommerce system. Some recommend oscommerce, others zend-cart, Magento, or Wordpress Cart.

I have installed osCommerce and Magento and found Magento template integration to complicated. I have heard that osCommerce has Not been upgraded for years. So this leaves me with the same question I have started with? Which is the best ecommerce platform?

I want to support many product, sizes, color, any customized products. I want to be able to hack/customize the design like you do with wordpress or vbulletin without the breaking in the next upgrade. I want the product to stay up to date with new technology like WP or vbulletin does.

Help is appreciated!

l3vi, May 10, 2010 IP
  2. jeancarlohim

jeancarlohim Guest

Best Answers:
    I use Creloaded. It doesnt have that many updates but is very user friendly you can check my store in my sig file.

btw. i chated with the guys at creloaded for you.
    - Creloaded chat.. not that good response though.

jeancarlohim, May 10, 2010 IP
  3. Justinwh

Justinwh Guest

Best Answers:
    Depends on the complexity of the ecommerce store you are creating. For small to mid range sites I recently came across Ecwid which I am rapidly becoming a huge fan of. Before I spent ages with Joomla and Virtuemart which is powerful but time consuming to get something decent up and running.

Justinwh, May 10, 2010 IP
  4. myveed

myveed Peon

Best Answers:
    you can start with zen cart that has a templating system and also you can customize with oscommerce modules..

myveed, May 11, 2010 IP
  5. The_Studio

The_Studio Peon

Best Answers:
    Oscommerce has STS template system, really easy to use, and you can customise to your needs,

The_Studio, May 11, 2010 IP
  6. PabloPalatnik

PabloPalatnik Peon

Best Answers:
    You may want to try Fortune3, also most focused SEO shopping cart software out there. I also heard decent things about Zoovy.

PabloPalatnik, May 12, 2010 IP
  7. welljy

welljy Peon

Best Answers:
    zend-cart, it is very good, I think

welljy, May 13, 2010 IP
  8. Kevin.Douglas

Kevin.Douglas Peon

Best Answers:
    I've often become frustrated while choosing an eCommerce platform as well. I will say that I have used both ZenCart and osCommerce more than any other platform, simply because they did exactly what I was looking for, and they were both easily customizable. If I ran into problems along the way I was usually able to find an answer through support forums, blogs, etc.

I always hear good things about Joomla, but I honestly had a hard time getting everything running the way I wanted it to. An acquaintance of mine is happy with Miva Merchant.

Kevin.Douglas, May 13, 2010 IP
  9. alex298

alex298 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

osCommerce is easy to setup, customize and managed. Do a search on Google with the keyword "osCommerce video tutorials" and will find a lot of free osCommerce tutorials to help you to get started.

Best regards

Alex

alex298, May 13, 2010 IP
  10. sendrakhis

sendrakhis Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I am also interested to know which ecommerce platform is best as I am currently thinking of adopting ecommerce.

sendrakhis, May 16, 2010 IP
  11. manko24

manko24 Peon

Best Answers:
    dnt even think twice simply go with magento. Its not complex .

manko24, May 16, 2010 IP
  12. krungtehp

krungtehp Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want simplicity then I recommend puresilva.com. They set everything up for you including the hosting. You don't need to do anything other than load your products. If you wanted to migrate your shop from one platform to puresilva they'll actually load your products for you onto their platform.

krungtehp, May 17, 2010 IP
  13. cordi

cordi Peon

Best Answers:
    its Zen-Cart non zend-cart..

anyway if you are looking for the best ecommerce softwares to run in your website try oscommerce or zen-cart.

These two are the most popular. I tried oscommerce and zen-cart. I found zen-cart better..

free, easy to use and full FREE support both from developers and members....

cordi, May 17, 2010 IP
  14. Michelle Waters

Michelle Waters Member

Best Answers:
    Have you considered ecommerce templates? You can build the website any way you want, and then just plug the cart in. This can be done with CubeCart as well.

Michelle Waters, May 17, 2010 IP
  15. sitejerk

sitejerk Peon

Best Answers:
    First - what are you going to sell? It all depends on your requirements..if you want to sell physical items, then a proper store kind script (zencart or similar). If you want to sell digital items, something like 1shoppingcart, infusionsoft (pricey), or similar will work..

sitejerk, May 17, 2010 IP
  16. ptholt

ptholt Peon

Best Answers:
    Whilst oscommerce is indeed getting a bit long in the tooth, it does mean there is a raft of information, modules, templates and plugins all easily useable not to mention a large forum, newer carts with less users whilst indeed more up to date and prettier are missing some of this, which can be a very important factor depending on your development skills.

ptholt, May 18, 2010 IP
  17. Michelle Waters

Michelle Waters Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with OScommerce is that it's frustrating to work with unless you're very familiar with it. If you are technically inclined and have time to learn the system, then go for it. I do think Zen Cart is more user-friendly than OScommerce though.

That said, if you're wanting something that's easy to modify like WordPress, I recommend using WP, or something like ECT, which I mentioned above.

Michelle Waters, May 18, 2010 IP
  18. dan_matt

dan_matt Peon

Best Answers:
    zend-cart is the best option.

dan_matt, May 19, 2010 IP
  19. iwebbs

iwebbs Peon

Best Answers:
    Please check Private Box

Thank you
    Sujay
    cyberwebsoft.com

iwebbs, May 20, 2010 IP
  20. dgol

dgol Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

I am in a similar position and I have my server and my domain.
    But I am only selling 4 products.
    Is WP enough or should I go with Zen-cart?

dgol, Jun 8, 2010 IP