1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finding Extracts of Copied Work

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lucyaw, Apr 24, 2010.

Hi there,

I'll keep this brief. Basically I've found an extract of my work on a site with no credit to me. I don't mind as it's not claiming to be written by anybody else and it could be a good marketing opportunity for my website.

What I want to know is, is it advisable to leave a comment under such extracts telling readers they can find the rest of the article on my own website? I'm going to try and word it as nicely as possible, rather than saying something like "THIS IS MINE. I WROTE IT. YOU STOLE IT. READ IT HERE: http://www.ukcopy.com/?page_id=228" <(sorry, shameless bit of self promotion...)

I'm sure many of you here have come across this before. What course of action did you take?

Many thanks,
    Lucy

lucyaw, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  2. scheng1

scheng1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Contact the webmaster, and advise him to link to your website. You probably allow full RSS feed, that is why he can pick up on the content.

scheng1, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  3. lucyaw

lucyaw Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I'll leave it on full RSS if it means my content is being read by more people, but will contact the Webmaster. Thanks for your advice schengl :D

lucyaw, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  4. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Lucy: Consider another one of my not traditional approaches. (I like to do the opposite of everyone else, it works)

1. Someone copying one of my article occurs several times daily. This is not a problem.
    2. You could go to copyscape.com, where legal steps are detailed. Do not. That person that copied your article might be an expert hacker, and attack your site.
    3. Take it as meaning you wrote a very good article. You were complimented. 3 of of 4 people snatching an article of mine give me credit. I have had this happen over 150 times on a single article.
    4. Google usually gives full credit to the first one posting an article. In fact some duplicate posters, eventually get "sandboxed" by Google and their PR goes to N/A

CONGRATULATIONS You have proven entry into the beginning of respected article writer status.

dyadvisor, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  5. eventus

eventus Guest

Best Answers:
    If the work is copyrighted and registered properly DMCA their host, ad networks and google. I've found that gets their attention really quick.

eventus, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  6. lucyaw

lucyaw Peon

Best Answers:
    This was the approach/stance I took and explained to the web owner I wasn't confronting them, but merely asking for a link/credit to my name for the extract. Unfortunately they emailed back saying sorry and that it had been removed. A shame, but at least I know now that the kind of writing I enjoy the most gets read and is enjoyed! It's posted in a couple of other places with full links to my site and credited to me, so I'm more than happy :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

lucyaw, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  7. dmca

dmca Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    You can go to creativecommons.org and get a button to put on your site. You can choose how you wish to license your content.

dmca, May 4, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Good recommendation by dmca!

You can also go to copyscape and copy one (legally), for a very authoritative impression. If you Google: programs like copyscape, ----- you will even find more.

Personal welcome to dmca.

dyadvisor, May 4, 2010 IP
  9. InkCreativeStudios

InkCreativeStudios Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    They may have bought the content from a 'writer' and you just revealed that their writer was not on the up and up. Maybe the entire thing was put together from other folks' articles.

InkCreativeStudios, May 5, 2010 IP
  10. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    That's my article, bitch. Take it down, or I'll break your fucking knees.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Perry Rose, May 5, 2010 IP
  11. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never Care! Actually, you don't need to care. It might be a robot or an aggregator. They are everywhere those auto-blogs and sites trying to make adsense profit.

Anyway I remember a guy who stole another blog article and went popular on Reddit and Digg and users discovered and it made a big buzz -> to his profit :)

omarabid, May 6, 2010 IP
  12. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:

PhilipSEO, May 11, 2010 IP
  13. nextgen66

nextgen66 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This happens all the time. You have to decide if it's worth your time to pursue it. A blog comment is ok; but of course the admin can easily delete it.

nextgen66, May 11, 2010 IP
  14. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Philip SEO?????????? What did you eat for breakfast? Are you quoting Yourself. Nothing in that quote box other than the bottom line, is mine.

I am sure Lucy took my part as a compliment, which it was. Check the 6th one from the OP.

You made 11 posts today, nine of them putting other members down. That means 8 others on DP besides me, just today alone! The obsession with stars is
    Spend some time on your own so called SEO site, your Alexa rating is not even on the radar. Traffic is a major skill in SEO.

Here is one you posting you gave back on YOUR OWN POST "just give me some reputation (use the star button below my post)." HELPING IS NOT WORK! Helping also never asks for a reward.

Look at your SIG line. Begging again for a star. I do not think that is what the REAL mods have in mind.

Sorry nextgen66. did not want to take away from your post.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
    dyadvisor, May 11, 2010 IP
  15. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @dyadvisor

nothing is wrong remembering users to vote. They'll vote only if he really helped them.

omarabid, May 13, 2010 IP
    dyadvisor likes this.
  16. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true on that part, it should never be a bribe. Did he also mention that if the person did not like what he said, they ---not him-- get a minus one.
    By the way, I decided to give my star to you.

However help is not really work. The recognition comes from within. That it turn spreads like wildfire.
    I stay inspired, and am thankful for every day. The original poster has already been thanked. So you are correct, give stars to those where it might pump up their day. They contribute, others seek and destroy. I feel this post right now is ended and Lucy is happy.

dyadvisor, May 13, 2010 IP
  17. rprost

rprost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I always put a link back to my site in the period at the end of the first sentence, that way if somebody copies my work I at least get a link out of it.

rprost, May 13, 2010 IP