1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

dropped domains with pagerank question

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by goldmon, May 11, 2010.

1. When registering a free domain/dropped with PR2, keeps you PR and Google Trustrank and for how long?
    2. How can I be sure that the domains do not have any penalties.

I'm interested to know how Google treats these free domains with pr if they are developed sites?
    As a new site or old site with all the ensuing advantages / disadvantages in the SERP-huh?

thanks

goldmon, May 11, 2010 IP
  2. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the times..."dropped" domains with PR becomes PR0 at some point...

Part of PR algorithm is validate domain age, and dropped domains are treated as "fresh" domains = no PR
    Also, to make sure that the domain (then site) aint penalized, typein the domain name (as in domainname.extension) and see if your site appears on the first page...the first sign of penalized site is when it doesnt rank for its own domain name!

alistair80, May 11, 2010 IP
  3. dropcatchsell

dropcatchsell Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^ ^ ^

That was all wrong.

PageRank is almost 100% agnostic. Google does reset dropped domains to 0, but only for a brief period until the next update. When the next PR update occurs, if there are still quality inbound links from sites with PR, your site will bounce back.

Age has almost no influence on total PageRank. You get a tiny sliver for a site being very old and very stable. Maybe a shift from PR2 to PR3 after many, many years.

The reason most dropped domains go permanently to zero is two-fold:

1. Most of the PRs for dropped domains are forged. For every valid PR drop out there, there seems to five forged. Most of them are poorly forged, too. Zero links, trying to pass themselves off as PR6.

The forgeries are achieved by redirecting to sites with PR. They lose their PR because once you start hosting them, you're not redirecting them. They have zero inbound links, so they come back with a valid PR of 0.

2. Links to dead sites dry up over time. A site that dropped usually sees half its links disappear within three months. Often this is because the sites linking in were owned by the company and hosted on the server. So, the company goes poof. Then the domains go poof, one-by-one until they're all gone.

Let me throw out an example of a drop I bought over the winter that I sold a few months back.

The site was ptully.com. It was a dead political campaign site that still has live links to it from other political websites. Political sites never clean up there old links.

Take a look at in CheckPageRank.net: http://www.checkpagerank.net/index.php?name=http://www.ptully.com/&links=1&captcha_code=wt2b

And now take a look at the inbound links in Yahoo site explorer:

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.co....com&bwm=i&bwms=p&bwmf=u&fr=sfp&fr2=seo-rd-se

You will see that ptully.com is still getting juice from http://www.takebackillinoisgame.com. Ttakebackillinoisgame.com has PR, and its passing that PR down to ptully.com.

Ptully.com was a 100% fully drop. It dropped 5 months ago.

The first PR update after the drop, it was a PR3. With a single added link by the current own, it is now a PR4. All valid.

Dropped domains have a ton of value. But, you have to sift through a lot of garbage to find the ones that have it.

dropcatchsell, May 12, 2010 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  4. alistair80

Best Answers:
    I am sure that you have no way to invalidate your points and still run your dropcatching business. I am not saying dropped domains are crap. I am saying that unless fresh links are obtained, the old links dont pass on PR for for long...couple updates and the PR will be gone (without any fresh PR inbound links)...Your gave an example of a site that was dropped 5 months ago...my point is "without that single link added by the current owner", the PR would have gone to 0....Besides, if no fresh links are added, I am unsure if it'd retain its current PR (4) during the next update.

We have discussed this dropped domain theory many times in the Directories section because many fools still make directories on dropped domains with PR...only to see the PR drop to 0 a few months later. At the end of the day, PR can be "bought" is easily manipulable...so PR itself doesnt "mean" much when it comes to the quality of a site and SERP.

alistair80, May 12, 2010 IP
  5. dropcatchsell

Best Answers:
    Without a single new link, the PR will keep if the remaining inbound links also have good PR.

Let's take a different example out of my pile: ballytours.com.

Valid PR 3: http://www.checkpagerank.net/index.php?name=ballytours.com&links=1&captcha_code=9tr9

It only has two inbound links, both from the firm that designed it before it was dropped, both PR4s: http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/search?p=http://www.ballytours.com&bwm=i&bwmo=d&bwmf=u No additional links have been added since the drop.

BallyTours.com dropped in January, which means its PR is valid, because Google last updated toolbar PRs on April 2. The PR did not go to zero. It bounced from zero up to three. That strongly indicates that if the existing links stay put, and those links have valid PR themselves, they will pass that PR to the dropped site.

dropcatchsell, May 12, 2010 IP
  6. goldmon

goldmon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    great posts and info....
    so dropped domain yet have good value and worth buying.

goldmon, May 13, 2010 IP
  7. dropcatchsell

Best Answers:
    Not all. In fact, not most. The value is in the handful that have decent residual links.

dropcatchsell, May 13, 2010 IP
  8. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    To answer #1: PR stays for as long as there are still do-follow PR links incoming. Keep in mind that PR may be inflated by the previous owner for the purpose of making sale, just as Alexa rank can be inflated by sending bulk traffic to the domain. As soon as domain dropped the previous owner may change those links to another domain they are willing to sell and the dropped domain may lose the PR quickly.

atxsurf, May 13, 2010 IP
  9. alistair80

Best Answers:
    Technically there is NOTHING called "do-follow"; this has been discussed many times...;) There is no follow and ...follow = link!

alistair80, May 13, 2010 IP
  10. vivaza

vivaza Peon

Best Answers:
    1. When registering a free domain/dropped with PR2, keeps you PR and Google Trustrank and for how long?
    Ubtil the next PR update.

vivaza, May 14, 2010 IP