1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords Says 18,200 Global Monthly Searches, But I Received 30 Visits?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by theblurr5495, May 10, 2010.

Everyone always says to check Google Adwords Keyword tool to research for keywords. So why have I barely gotten any visitors from a term that has 18,200 global searches (according to it) which I am ranked third in?

This is really making me mad because I worked hard to get in the third position for a very popular term (soccer guide), and it's not giving me any traffic.

Can anyone tell me why this is? Am I missing something here?

My website is completesoccerguide.com and the term is soccer guide.

theblurr5495, May 10, 2010 IP
  2. Adraco

Adraco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, maybe 1st place or 2nd place are so much more attractive, so people don't even care about reading down to your number three spot, they find what they are looking for at position number 1 or 2, click that site and move on. I see huge differences between when soome of my keywords are ranked 4th compared to when they are 5th. And it's a MAJOR difference between being number one and being number two in the listings, it's not even funny! And being number three, I would assume even more people drop off at that stage.

30 clicks sound a little low, but maybe the others are so much more attractive and pull in the major part of those searches or maybe your site description is just very unattractive, so people skip your site and move on to number four, five or six?

Adraco, May 10, 2010 IP
  3. SamGrace

SamGrace Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Traffic is always number game. It's statistically readable. The only thing is we have to read it right.
    I just check on Google Insight for term soccer guide, the result : number 1 search for this keyword came from USA
    After that I check Google Keyword tool, the results are:
    - Global Monthly search: 18100
    - Local search (USA, English): 8100
    From here, it is a matter of basic math, 8100/month meaning 270/day.
    If the number 1 in SERP take 40% of the traffic, number 2 take 15% of the traffic, and number 3 take 10% of the traffic, you will get the picture.
    (for more accurate, research based data, please check hxxp://predictive-marketing.com/index.php/tag/click-distribution-by-serp-rank/)
    I hope that's help you to understand your case.
    Cheers,

Sam

SamGrace, May 10, 2010 IP
  4. RichardSR

RichardSR Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I am also targeting few good keywords and measuring the traffic growth. The post you reference here, hxxp://predictive-marketing.com/index.php/tag/click-distribution-by-serp-rank/, is very useful. And gosh.. the gap between no 1 and other big 5 is so significant..!

RichardSR, May 11, 2010 IP
  5. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @ the OP, the term has only 480 global searches per month.

Use the exact match option to see how many searches the keyword actually gets.

gr8liverpoolfan, May 11, 2010 IP
  6. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Only 480 people per month search for that term, worldwide. In my years of research as a search engine optimizer, I have come up 8% as a good estimate for expectations of traffic at position 3 on page 1. That means 0.08 x 480 = 38.4. So getting 30 is pretty decent. Especially since not all searches result in a SERP click.

Ajeet, May 11, 2010 IP
    Adraco likes this.
  7. WordpressSEO

WordpressSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    make sure you are checking adwords for [exact] search.

It may say that 20000000 people search SEO

but chances are that only that many people make searches that also INCLUDE SEO IN THE "PHRASE"

WordpressSEO, May 12, 2010 IP
  8. Adraco

Adraco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Quality answer from a well trusted, long time, premium member. Thanks! Green rep added!

To OP:
    There you see, not much traffic at all to be talking about. Seems like your 30 visits are about what you can expect. Maybe try starting another site?

Adraco, May 12, 2010 IP
  9. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks man. Green repping seems to be a lost art. Though I do it all the time.

Re: the SEO matter at hand, I think that the OP can also consider trying to rise to position 2. The present URL at position 2 is not all that strong, and can be beat with some SEO effort. Position 1 is going to be tougher -- much tougher.

Ajeet, May 13, 2010 IP
  10. amsun10

amsun10 Peon

Best Answers:
    make sure you are checking keywords with quotation mark

amsun10, May 13, 2010 IP
  11. theblurr5495

theblurr5495 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Spot on, I am working on that. I know I can defeat the person in position two, but that damn Site-Built-It site will be sitting in number one for a while.

theblurr5495, May 13, 2010 IP
  12. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd also like to add that in some circumstances I've found that my keywords perform better lower down the SERPs. I believe it has to do with how people read the SERPs, if they don't find what they want on the first or second link then they scan to closer to the bottom. Obviously this still doesn't negate shooting for the 1st spot, just an observation I've seen on some of my longer tail keywords.

cldnails, May 14, 2010 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  13. ronancarr

ronancarr Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the most useful piece of information you are going to get.
    Keep working on your onsite and offsite SEO, get to No.1 and then come back here and tell us your success story.

ronancarr, May 16, 2010 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  14. theblurr5495

theblurr5495 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Will do man, will do.

theblurr5495, May 17, 2010 IP
  15. joliber

joliber Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Ajeet,

Do you have any stats for the top 10 positions? If 3 is at 8% what about the others? I'm really interested on this.. Hope to hear from you..

joliber, May 17, 2010 IP
  16. bluefx

bluefx Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, check if you have turned off the History Search for your Google account. This may give you misleading results when doing your keyword search.

bluefx, May 18, 2010 IP