1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stupid Question Maybe???

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Ahri22, Sep 14, 2006.

But why is it that it's so hard to become a DMOZ editor when they've got such an enormous backlog of submissions??? I'd think they'd want all the help they could get! I thought applying to be an editor, but then wondered whether or not it was worth it if it's so difficult to get accepted.

Cheers
    Fiona

Ahri22, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  2. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well friend I don't know. This is mystery. But thanks for making yet another thread for DMOZ :)

There are already 1000 threads in DP alone that say DMOZ sucks. :(

I think maybe someone with more knowledge then me can explain you better.

There are some DMOZ meta's also over here. They will soon arrive on this thread and explain you. :D

Nick_Mayhem, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  3. justtupeu

justtupeu Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe.. They reject a new editor in a couple of days but they take close to a year, if you're lucky, to get your website listed.

justtupeu, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  4. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    Its hard to get in as Editor in Dmoz, because they know you are applying in Dmoz for fame or money or to get your websites into Dmoz faster;)
    hence they reject it :D simple

seoindiaweb, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Paranoia your not gworld in disguise.

2. Paranoia your not <insert here your favorite spammer> in disguise.

3. Lack of workable editor recruitment system - there is no dedicated new editor mentor position but each Meta is expected to approve application in his free time and little else, it would be much better if Meta/Editall/Jedi Master position would require taking newbie/padawan under his wings and guiding him early on (and also getting to know him and give judgment if he will become good editor), and after training process is complete he wouldn't have to be bullied around each time he wants to advance but he would be trusted instead.

4. Most folk probably apply in "commercial" categories or categories which are considered to big for newbie (why don't they just remove sign up button in such categories and allow it only to existing editors is beyond me) and are quickly branded as spammers especially if they have there own websites in category. So in order to increase your chance for approval you would have to apply for some non-commercial PR0 category to which you can't add more then five websites since everyone knows you'll be stuck in that category with small chance of advancement because your edit count will be pathetic. :rolleyes:

In order to breakout there is little trick called creating new categories since most of DMOZ is so hopelessly out of date you can easily find dozens and hundreds of websites which aren't in DMOZ simply because category for them doesn't exits.

And after reading all of this you begin to wonder if it is worth it all? Well you can always resign form your editor post and come here to rant about DMOZ or even better rant first and get yourself removed so you can rant even more. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. :D

Strangely enough, I don't have any problem getting my applications accepted. The secret to becoming an editor is to make them believe you are a moron. Females with strong butt kissing tendencies are also well liked. ;)

gworld, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  7. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You think you're joking? No. You have to make your application very long, like an epic poem to the power, usefulness and worth of the ODP. It's not enough to suggest proper sites with perfectly good, bland descriptions. You have to wax poetic. Minimum 1000 words.

helleborine, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't spend more than 10 minutes on my applications. It is not that difficult to write an application that basically says, I am a moron, accept me. ;)

gworld, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer kissing strong females with tender butts. :)

I have awards for that... ;)

brizzie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    May be, you will like this one:

[​IMG]

:D

gworld, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  11. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes of course, metas are always looking for gworld. :p
    This is not too far from the truth. I would believe there to be many applicants with only self promoting interests. Thus the metas do have to weed them out as best as possible. Just a fact.

Ok, that is what the whole application process is for. Plus they do have a mentor program that any editor can sign up for. Metas do check in on the newbie in the beginning and do some hand holding even though the application process weeds out most of the common problems.

I would probably agree with your "remove sign up button in such categories" idea. But the second part is silly. Why would an editor care about the pr of a category? Besides, just because a category is small does not mean it's difficult to find sites to add. Quite the opposite, actually. I took my first category from 20 to 100 easily. Plus there are other ways to get editor experience by applying to greenbust in other categories without having full editor privies. :)

jjwill, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    She doesn't look like the sort to have a tender butt. Sorry gworld.

brizzie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  13. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's an idea that seems like works, its novel but might be worth a shot:

Never know it might just work. :p

copperdrum, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    lmocr and compostannie like this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is the only 100% sure way of being rejected. :p

gworld, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    No, that's not true. I was honest about myself, my intentions and my affiliations and they let me in. ;)

Silly gworld. :D

compostannie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be fine if you could easily take on new categories but it can weeks for existing editor to be approved or rejected for new category - even if that category has been dead for months and years!

PR0 = zero chance of corruption. ;)

This depends from category to category, I've add everything there could be added in Total War category and had to wait for Rome to be published to get bunch of new websites to add.

Somebody still needs to approve those sites so greenbusting only works to clean up spam, if category rarely sees editor there is little difference.

17. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    And I got removed for being honest. :p

18. dastuff

dastuff Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok i got in but it was a little tricky heres what i did:

Track one down, given enough time this is a doable feat... Then simply hold their wife and kids hostage until you're accepted and bam you're in... I was also a little mean and made him accept/reject all the sites in his queue before I gave the kids back...

Needless to say he has been on the mark with accepting/rejecting sites ever since.

:)

dastuff, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  19. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    But you could see it coming a mile off. Even a day or two ago you were talking about how to (ab)use Wikipedia to get more traffic.

It is a voluntary mentor program with a very low takeup and the meta handholding is haphazard and highly variable in quality. Mostly it is sink or swim and mostly people sink unless they have the confidence to ask lots of questions. What is needed is a formal and mandatory online training program. Followed by a greenbusting spell. The abusers only wanting to list their own site, delete a competitor, and disappear aren't going to go through all that. But someone serious about it would. And they could be prepared for much wider editing rights at a much earlier stage, making them far more productive in the medium to long term. No decent employer or volunteer group that operates face to face would ever dream of giving a new joiner a manual (that is ambiguous and out of date in places anyway) and expect them just to get on with it. DMOZ should be no different - invest in editors and reap the rewards.

brizzie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  20. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    That is why it is important to pick a category you know you can build, that you can contribute. There are thousands out there. :)

The point was getting editor experience, build up edits so you can apply for a larger category. Greenbusts are very quickly visited by a senior editor and if they aren't, you just inform a meta who will right away. No big deal.

jjwill, Sep 14, 2006 IP