1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Necessary to have a separate domain name????

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by bchukran, Sep 14, 2006.

Hi all....I've been adding AS ads to various pages of my art/writing website as I go along, and so far, the revenues have trickled in....very slowly.

Since I am a writer, I love doing research on a variety of topics, and have ideas for others I'd like to develop--most of the topics are not related. I don't really want the hassle of setting up separate domain names and websites for each of them, though. I had heard that Google was relying less on domain names now, and more on the content of the specific pages and keywords on those pages. Is this true?

I'd like to do a generic index page off my existing main website leading to the separate pages and different topics, sort of like I have now, except in a much larger way. Then each of those would branch out into other topics.

Does the domain name (URL of each page) really matter that much??

Thanks for any comments/thoughts on this issue....

bobbi c.

bchukran, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  2. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    With a reseller account it really isn't a big chore to host multiple domains. The reward is down the road when you will have multiple aged sites that can be sold individually. It does cost some money to register the domains, but then they will be building age and PR on their own which should also enhance their value down the road.

It's important to remember that Google indexes pages, not sites.

mhdoc, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  3. Any

Any Peon

Best Answers:
    well, google offers you contextual ads, which means they will be tuned to what you have on the page and not by the domain name that you have. In other words if you have one page about auto parts and one about ballet you shouldn't really worry since they'll be evaluated by google separately and the relevant ads displayed on the respective page. If I have such different topics though (and enough material to write more than a couple of articles on each) I would go for separate domains simply because it has its beauty of modularity and as mhdoc already pointed out it allows you to sell/drop only one part if you want or get bored and not the whole site.

Any, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  4. bchukran

bchukran Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, mhdoc....Gee, I never thought about selling the sites down the road. That's certainly something to ponder. I knew that Google would index pages, but wasn't sure how much they valued the specific URL of that page...

Bobbi C.

5. bchukran

bchukran Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting bored is a problem I definitely have! I sometimes do delete pages if I see them not getting traffic, or clicks...

thanks, something to think about!

bobbi c.

6. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would stick with one domain and expand your different interests underneath it as subdomains or separate folders if you must. But if it's all a collection of yoru writings, then you should keep them under the same domain. It's hard to get new omains "out there" unless you have a network of sites ready to link to it and you know SEO. I would stick to the establish site; it'll mean your new pages (writings) get picked up faster in the SE's.

jackburton2006, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  7. bchukran

bchukran Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, jackburton...

Yes, it's all a collection of my writings, and some links to other resources..

One thing I do know is SEO, so that helps tremendously. Good point about getting the new pages picked up faster....

bobbi c.

8. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you should stick to one domain. I really don't see any benefits to spreading them out on multiple domains.

jackburton2006, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    Mong likes this.
  9. bchukran

bchukran Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I figured if one really takes off, I can always add a new domain down the road and switch all that content to it with some sort of redirect thing....Right now I just want to concentrate on the writing, and not the maintenance of numerous sites...

bobbi c.

10. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Yes its true. :)
    All emphasize is on contents and quality of inbound links to the webpage.

Mong, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  11. stackman

stackman Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest sticking with a single domain. My experience is that Google is good about recognizing internal pages with unique content. MSN and Yahoo, however, seem to focus on home pages and overall site theme rather than on individual pages. That's my experience, yours may differ.

stackman, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  12. sophie123

sophie123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good thread. I was gonna ask the same question but everyone's thoughts have been very useful
    :)
    Cheers :D

sophie123, Sep 16, 2006 IP
  13. bchukran

bchukran Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone! One reason I don't want to get multiple domains is that I've done that before, tried to stick very closely to one niche, then get fizzled out on a subject and drop it. If it doesn't make any difference to the SEs (especially Google), then it's easier for me to add/delete pages as I see how they do.

I have had a lot of experience over the last 9 years with Google picking up my pages, so I'm confident that they will index the new stuff, too.

Bobbi C.

bchukran, Sep 16, 2006 IP