1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Calling all Mac users to help Newbie!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doritos, Apr 28, 2010.

So, yes... I finally got a Mac. Iv'e been a PC user my whole life and I finally gave in! i'm sick of windows crashing, viruses etc. This Mac thing is a whole new world for me but it's going to be fun learning and I don't think I will regret this choice..

I have a few newbie questions for Mac users..

I'm using safari right now for my browser, is this the best browser I can use or can I use firefox? How do I open multiple windows with safari?

I'm assuming winzip is not compatible with Mac what are some other free zip softwares?

If there is any other configuration tips or something you can share for a new Mac user please do so :) thanks!

Doritos, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  2. Doritos

Doritos Peon

Best Answers:
    I also don't even know how to refresh a window there is no right mouse button =/

Doritos, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  3. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I mostly use Firefox because I need lot of FF plugin, to open multiple tabs in Safari use command-T

Try "The Unarchiver 2.3", it's free zip software

bnandika, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  4. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bnandika, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  5. william1986

william1986 Guest

Best Answers:
    Opera is also a good browser for Mac
    StuffIt is a professional free zip software.

william1986, May 2, 2010 IP
  6. jaredg

jaredg Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox is my preference. To open new windows in Safari, press apple+n, and tabbed mode can also be enabled.

jaredg, May 7, 2010 IP
  7. henkie

henkie Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Time Machine for backups, because when just starting you can always go back "in time" when you have made a mistake or lost documents. Great backup solution from Apple.
    7-zip is also available for MacOS, and many developers have ported alot of software so it can be used on the Mac.

Im sold after having used my Mac Mini for 6 months now, and updated it with more memory and a SSD!

henkie, May 9, 2010 IP
  8. Yamcha

Yamcha Guest

Best Answers:
    Safari and Chrome are both made from webkit and are the fastest browsers available.. but of course where Firefox shines is plugins.. Firefox has thousands of plugins..

Yamcha, May 10, 2010 IP
  9. jonoblades

jonoblades Peon

Best Answers:
    To "right-click" on an iMac, hold down "CTRL" and click. On a macbook, put 2 fingers on the touchpad and click the button!

jonoblades, May 11, 2010 IP
  10. denverice

denverice Peon

Best Answers:
    Apple safari is really good web browser and if you want to open new tab just press Ctrl+T and you can open multiple tab
    7 Zip is available for Mac

denverice, May 17, 2010 IP
  11. momonica

momonica Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion the best browser for mac is safari, because safari is compatible and has many features for support anything do you want, example like download.Yes, winzip it's not compatible for mac beacuse it's using for windows. It's better for you to use tubesock.You can download it in apple.com. It's free for you who use mac.If you're not download from apple.com. it be trial for you

momonica, May 17, 2010 IP
  12. Webworth.sg

Webworth.sg Peon

Best Answers:
    I run Safari/Chrome/Firefox each for different things. :x Safari's good for everday browsing. Firefox is good for downloading stuff and AdBlock is a godsend. Chrome's nice trasitioning a little but Safari has better integration with keychain.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Webworth.sg, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  13. TeamFUG

TeamFUG Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend using a regular PC mouse with your Mac. This way you won't have to hold down keys to right click.

TeamFUG, Nov 4, 2010 IP