1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Automatic Backup solution/software For an External Hardrive ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by entry, May 4, 2010.

Hiya, i have a large external hardrive, and want to use it for backups (a duplicate copy) of all my data and files.

- the main Hardrive is the primary for storage,
    but i wish to use the external one for a secondary backup..

But i dont want to keep changing file names, or Replacing Old files with their 'newer' version, or is that the best way to do it?

i also dont want to delete Large chunks of Old files from the external HD and replace it with the NEWER upadted chunks of new files (Exact same files, just updated versions)

- For example i might have a word file in Jan2010, save it on the primary HD + External HD,

then it gets updated, and added to in May 2010, so is there a way for the External hardrive version of the file to get SAVED automatically, using the software or somthing? (Without copying and pasted/replacing the old file)?

so is there an automatic way of doing this, using software?

"so it replaces old files with New ones, without you having to fiddle and do anything time consuming"?

How do you guys do it?

what do you do?

entry, May 4, 2010 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I run SecondCopy on shutdown EVERY DAY.
    It copies anything (in my specified data directories) that I've changed > to 2 x internal drives, and 1 x external drive.
    I've also got weekly profiles that I run on drives that I keep off site.

You can set it up to do all sorts of things. I can't say enough good things about this software. I've been using it for years and it's never let me down once.

http://www.centered.com/

Kerosene, May 4, 2010 IP
  3. entry

entry Active Member

Best Answers:
    does anybody else recommend that?

entry, May 5, 2010 IP
  4. jaredg

jaredg Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're using Mac OS X, I'd recommend Retrospect.

jaredg, May 7, 2010 IP
  5. henkie

henkie Peon

Best Answers:
    For windows you can use Allway sync, which has the incremental function which uses a database for file versions etc. When wanting to go advanced here, you can use subversion which is more extended but with more functions and also "call-backs" for files in the past.

henkie, May 9, 2010 IP