1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need PHP Project Ideas

Discussion in 'PHP' started by . Jordan ., May 4, 2010.

I have recently started learning PHP to accompany my knowledge of HTML, CSS and to a point JavaScript. However, I was wondering if you guys and girls could give me some project ideas which would help me learn more areas of PHP. So far, all I have made is a contact form and a simple image uploader. I also the basics of connecting and adding data to a mySQL database.

If you could provide resources which would help with learing what I need for these then that would be helpful too :)

Thanks,

Jordan

. Jordan ., May 4, 2010 IP
  2. venkatesh934

venkatesh934 Peon

Best Answers:
    hi
    If u are the beginner to PHP means, first visit w3schools.com

After learning the basic concepts visit php.net. This is a official site of PHP. If u have any doubt regarding logic or in concept, send ur query to me

venkatesh934, May 4, 2010 IP
  3. . Jordan .

. Jordan . Guest

Best Answers:
    I already know the basics. I'm looking for project ideas.

4. venkatesh934

venkatesh934 Peon

Best Answers:
    If u would like to learn project ideas means, take any projects in PHP. The ideas will be vary depend upon the project. I think, by general we can't say these are the ideas for doing a project. So choose one project and insert the ideas on that like pagination, Captcha and so on. Then it will be easy to u.

venkatesh934, May 4, 2010 IP
  5. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    take it your contact form processed the submitted data and emailed it? Here's the next step. Take the data submitted and store it in a single mysql database table. Be sure to sanitize the user inputted data (search for mysql injection for tips on this). Once you get through that. Make a simple php script to view the records singularly. Then you could make it so the entire list is displayed and clicking a specific record shows the details page. Next, learn how to page the mysql results for the full display.

Need advice or want some links, just post a reply and I'll dig up what I can.

shallowink, May 4, 2010 IP
  6. . Jordan .

. Jordan . Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I'll be sure to put this on the to do list :p

Anybody else got anything? :)

7. danx10

danx10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Contribute in DP's PHP Forum (atleast where possible).

danx10, May 4, 2010 IP
  8. . Jordan .

. Jordan . Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't see how this relates well to my question at all.

9. MyVodaFone

MyVodaFone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MyVodaFone, May 4, 2010 IP
  10. danx10

danx10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Refer to this...

By helping you'll improve, practice, gain experience, and you will also have helped someone by doing that :).

danx10, May 4, 2010 IP
  11. Gray Fox

Gray Fox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make a sign up/sign in script, later you can try to make PHP sessions more secure (bound sessions to IPs, google "session cookie security"), integrate CAPTCHA and/or add security against brute-force attacks (you'd have to log invalid login attempts), add CSRF protection (also explained on google, that is pretty simple actually), add "Remember Me" (persistent cookie) functionality (optional: add brute-force protection for those cookies too, hint: password salt).
    That is just an example of a fully secured login system, no need to learn all those techniques at the very beginning, but you'll need them sooner or later.

Gray Fox, May 4, 2010 IP
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jordan, have you tried going through some of the php tuts at http://net.tutsplus.com/ while its taking you by the hand in a way, sometimes the contributor has made mistakes with the code, sometimes you see this pointed out to them in the comments, the tuts might mean that you can attempt a better way than what the author suggests.

Or combine a couple of the tuts there to build something that you haven't tried yet.

pipes, May 4, 2010 IP
  13. . Jordan .

. Jordan . Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I tried a user system before but it failed :p. Will keep these features in mind though :)

wish there was a thanks button.

I didn't realise tutsplus covered php. Thanks for the heads up and help. :)