1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need Help for a question i have

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by fakankun, Apr 29, 2010.

I asked this question in the introductions section, but no one replied so i hope this is the best place to ask this.

i'm looking to get into writing articles for people. but im new to this concept, and i would like to know how much people usually charge for this or how should i go about it. i didn't see a lot of training or whatever about this.

if ANYONE could, please help me. thank you :)

fakankun, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  2. lucyaw

lucyaw Peon

Best Answers:
    My first advice would be to not limit yourself to Digital Point. It's a good starting point to build your iTrader rating and gain trust from other users, but long term work is scarce and (dare I say it) the average pay is low.

Building a portfolio of work will be a huge help, so that you can apply for jobs and direct people towards your samples. I'd recommend writing one article on each of the topics you think you're most knowledgeable on/passionate about. You could host them on a free blog at first, then when you feel ready develop your own website (you can see mine in the link in my signature...it's very basic but it does the job) you can transfer the posts there. You can also use article directory sites like Ezine or Hubpages for this, and just direct potential clients there.

As for pricing, it's really up to you where you start, but my advice is to be stubborn. Clients can be very good hagglers, especially on DP! I wouldn't recommend dipping below $0.015 per word, but that's just me...everyone differs. Joining Elance might be a good move, because you bid on the projects you want to work on and the pay rate is determined beforehand.

I've found ConstantContent to be a good site too, especially if you specialize in a certain area. They only accept high quality articles with 0 grammatical/spelling mistakes so you need to be vigilant, but you can sell your work there and determine a price per article. People tend to pay a lot more there for specialized, god quality articles and it makes a nice break from monotonous writing to get stuck into an article and submit it there for a decent price.

I hope I've been of some help, best of luck and stick around in the Copywriting section, I'd like to hear how you get on :)

lucyaw, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  3. KeithM2011

KeithM2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    hello writers,

I've had a client who asked me to write 6 300-350-word articles provided with keywords. The purpose of which according to him is to check the quality of my work and as samples as well. He told me to wait for a week for the result and updates of my application if I pass or not and that was after many follow up attempts. It took almost forever for him to inform me that I was one of the selected writers for their company and it took again many follow up attempts after the one-week as he promised me for the result. Everytime I send a follow up message to him, he gets pissed off because for it was a disturbance.

When he told me his company cannot accord to pay $4 each 300-350-word article, I asked him to tell me how much he his company can afford each article, and he said his company can only afford to pay half a dollar ($0.50) each single 300-350-word article. Due to the fact the price is so demeaning and outrageous, I decided not to accept the offer.

After almost a month when I was browsing my sent mails, I decided to clicked on the sample aritcles i sent him. I started searching google for any possible plagiarism and doplication of my articles. To my surprised, I found out that the 6 sample articles I wrote for them are now being published online.

I sent them a mail through his company site and told him to pay me $5 earch article for using it to promote products online and that if they won't pay me, I will send a letter of complaint to the media board.

and this is what I received:

"Hello,

You were removed from our list as all the day you distubed us with spam messages greetings. When we told you to wait for a particular day for test you even ever hour or minute asked the same question again and again.

You disturbed our executive even in meetings when his chat was on.

You did a test for us and whatever is done as a test we have full rights to use it as we want and to check it. Further without checking we cant know the quality of work. The price was not decided and whatever we quoted to you said no. There was no agreement between us for work or cost.

Still we can consider you for future projects. But if you have this type of behaviour. Then we are sorry to proceed further.

Best Regards

Management"

Am I wrong? what should I do? Please give me your comments. I am willing to accept chastisement from you writers if I did something wrong.

KeithM2011, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  4. killerdesign

killerdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm interesting responses, will bookmark this thread and read some more. I am not hijacking or anything, but can academic writers with credentials have higher quote for articles?

killerdesign, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  5. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    To the thread Starter/ Orgin Poster

Well, People write for money and also for Adplacing :)

I.e You write articles for a persons to put on his website and instead you will be allowed to put ads in his website :)

Thats a way how Writers are Rented :)

extremephp, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  6. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    @ KeithM2011

well, i dont think there is much that you can do now.

Because They have already got the article with them and they have published it too :) Well The only way for you to this problem is to leave it simply.

Dont waste your time thinking those, and better try to make money in future :)

Always Care to Only Deal with People whom you can Trust. :)

extremephp, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  7. lucyaw

lucyaw Peon

Best Answers:
    @KeithM2011 I'd advise that in future you let them know that they either pay for the samples, or that they do not on the rights to them. If they complain just explain that it's your policy: you own the intellectual rights to your own work until it is purchased. You could offer a discounted rate for samples but that's up to you. I'd strongly advise setting up a portfolio or blog so that you can show them samples that you already own and they can't plagiarize.

As for the 'you disturbed our executive while he was in meetings' <why on earth did he have his IM chat on in a meeting? That's pretty unprofessional! It sounds to me like you were very unlucky and came across a really harsh client. It happens, it wasn't your fault - just have some personal policies in place before you start dealing with anyone (e.g. I ask for 50% up front payment for the first order with a new client. It builds up trust and protects you against scammers).

lucyaw, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Lucy: I agree with your advice and helpfulness to others asking for advice. There are actually 8 levels that start with writing and then professional copywriting at high wages. Even with an article, most people here think that an article is an article period. That goes for the writer and the buyer. There are writers that write terrible, then the buyer who takes this and submits it. Most article "authors" do not know the internet value of an article, and just want the cheapest writer, and mass distribution. That fake author deserves to get burned.

My question to the poster is this: Do you want to be a writer, or a writer that benefits someone who knows the value of the power of the article you wrote.
    1. Is it written in proper English?
    2. Is the headline providing an impulse to read the article?
    3. How well does the article stand up against the competition?
    4. Is the article at least 500 characters long? If you know Google stop words, you would see the value.
    5. ----this is where the true value lies to the person paying you
    a. how many keyword phrases ranked #1 in Google?
    b. How many keyword phrases ranked in the top 10, first page of Google?
    c. how many keyword phrases ranked in the top 30 of Google?
    d. after 90 days how many people have read the article?
    e. after 90 days, but many people did the article drive to the website?
    f. after 90 days, how many outside sources picked up your article?
    g. after 1 year, are blogs still grabbing your article?
    h. how many times does your name appear in Google for writing that article (lasting links) ?
    i. after 1 year has your article been read a minimum of 6,000 times, and hopefully 60,000?
    j. has the article contributed to sales and adsense revenue?
    k. what major trade magazines have published your article on their online blog?

The majority of articles cannot pass step 1, yet they are submitted. Then they are accepted by cash hungry article directories making adsense money and bragging rights off you.
    Now compare that to an article that covered well 15 areas.
    The one single article, at the high level is worth 40 to 80 times more to charge the client. That client then will make $2,500. So $150 to $250 is possible for you. So is $4.00.

Now according to a recent study in Google the average yearly wage in India is $500.00 a year. Article writing can be a misery, or be rewarding. My programmer from India will be making near $500 this week. (That includes my bonus.)

You can see the reason for the pay scale raising. There is a crowded overflow at the 1 stage. However there is an employment market wide open at the high level.

Remember step one writing has 7 more steps to being considered to writing good copy. Copywriting includes many areas. Professionals hire professional copywriters and are in need of more. With the internet today, you find people using where they live as an invalid excuse. I paid my worker from India higher than many Americans are earning. Remember also that America still has, in my area, many unions. Union members rant buy American. I live 1/4 mile off the road, and have an iron gate. My 10mm Glock will go through a cop's bulletproof vest. So I choose who does the job the best, at the fairer rate. Yet, your fellow country people try, but fail to shoot me down.

Please give it some thought, reaching level one is like dogs fighting over a bare bone. Be determined to be different, or look for a different occupation.

Please, to other readers. Quit asking me for a job. I am going to be giving you a chance to know how to do those other items, and prove it step by step. I feel it is such a pity how you cut each others throats, instead of listening to someone like Lucy and start to rise up.

dyadvisor, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  9. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The important point is to make your aim clear: Learn Writing. If you are about making money, then it's too early, there are no engineers that start working from their first day university; they need to learn first. Nevertheless, you can still write for the $3/article rate here on Digital Point. While it can make you some $$, I don't agree to do it, since it'll not motivate you a lot and you'll be more focused on getting the article done rather than improving your writing skills.

Learning a language (to perfection) is a long time process. Reading, Writing (on Forums and Blogs) can be a lot of help. You might also want to check out if there are any accelerated courses in learning English. I took 2 months of such courses and made a pack of English Grammar and Syntax documents.

For the training here are a start point

- Nearby English Centers
    - Forums (choose quality forums)
    - Blogging (Create a blog and publish posts)
    - Read, Read, Read (Create a list of favorite blogs)

omarabid, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  10. copy4you

copy4you Peon

Best Answers:
    1. register to websites offering opportunities to place orders, reply them, and advertise your services (i.e. Freelancer). You'll be able to see and compare what price ranges people charge for a particular number of words or characters with spaces and so on. The rule there is people bid for an order giving their price and time they would be able to perform a certain task (for example to write an article). I would advise you not to put yourself in one line with the ones who offer the lowest prices. Dumping is common in this business, nothing can be done about it except for not reinforcing it
    2. you should charge as much as you feel is reasonable, taking into consideration the time you will spend doing research, preparing for writing and the process of creating a text itself. Remember you are not just a craftsman producing a piece of something anyone could imitate. You are providing your customer with a unique, professional piece of writing. Add this value to your price too :)

copy4you, May 3, 2010 IP
  11. fakankun

fakankun Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, thank you all for your responses and replies, i didn't think so many people would even find this post

fakankun, May 7, 2010 IP
  12. fakankun

fakankun Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, do any of you know how many posts i have to have in order to be able to make a post in the buy, sell section here?

fakankun, May 7, 2010 IP
  13. jay12341235

jay12341235 Peon

Best Answers:
    25 :) Posts is what you need

jay12341235, May 7, 2010 IP
  14. palmerlarryray

palmerlarryray Active Member

Best Answers:
    you have to have 25 posts and be a member for 14 days

palmerlarryray, May 7, 2010 IP
  15. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Feel free to ask questions. I personally know it is difficult to find about the regulations. Too many would rather give you an infraction, then answer your simple question. Remember you can contact those you trust, two other ways, outside of the actual postings themselves. The choice is yours.

For your own safety, look for those like Lucy, who keeps moving up, learning more, and sharing.
    Others get pleasure with attacks, or idiotic comments, or just stupid honest mistakes.
    There are a few of us that do it with no stings attached, or money involved, wanting you to be the best that you want to become. That is I why constantly receive heat, but am numb to the dumb.
    Welcome to those I do not yet know, I know a lot, but still learn from ALL levels of true writers.

dyadvisor, May 7, 2010 IP
  16. fakankun

fakankun Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool, thanks. man that seems like a lot though to do naturally. but i guess im more than welcome to make posts or reply to comments about things that im interested in right?

fakankun, May 9, 2010 IP
  17. fakankun

fakankun Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks i will keep a look out for your name here

fakankun, May 9, 2010 IP
  18. palmerlarryray

palmerlarryray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes all of your posts count towards the 25... Just don't try to do them all in one day because I have heard that can get you tagged for spamming. Hope this helps.

palmerlarryray, May 9, 2010 IP
  19. fakankun

fakankun Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool, thanks again

fakankun, May 9, 2010 IP
  20. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Fakankun:

You are not doing this right, not checking the Q&A twice, and the Santa RedCarders are coming to town.

Unless there is a reason for it, do not keep responding back to every posting, including this one. There is a crackdown on this, where you will see pretty red marks by your account. Those are not presents from Santa, the tooth fairy, or miracle workers.

Call it the Grinch, Godzilla, or the Nice people with Red pens. They are given out free to members. These glittery fireflies of red, can easily stick around a couple months and multiply faster than doo doo.

This is the copywriters forum, and there is simply nothing wrong to respond back every few posts if it is for some needed insight about writing skills, techniques, writing for more money, or even requesting answers on" how would you ______ something relating to writing. Otherwise you could find yourself sitting in a corner, locked out.

There are many people here with skills to answer or discuss writing and copywriting topics, however trying to cheat on getting "points" might get you and the other person red carded. So please start another post, learn, and do not worry about points. No awards are given for them, but lifetime awards are gained for learning more about skilled writing.

I personally will be looking tomorrow for your new post. With so much to learn in this area, it is certainly not hard to think up a winner.

dyadvisor, May 9, 2010 IP