1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

99% chance of listing on DMOZ - I Gurantee it

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by hoodedwebmaster, Feb 18, 2010.

?

Is getting listed on DMOZ a BIG deal for you?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2010.
  1. Way Yes.

86.7%
  2. What's DMOZ.

13.3%
  1. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm, Snooks? Unless you work for all those other directories... suggesting 'payment almost certainly guarantees inclusion' is baseless conjecture of the kind frequently used against Dmoz... and FTR, it's just as inaccurate. Please stick to things of which you have first hand experience. ~ Gracias

robjones, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    HI Rob :)

I can see your point but i do believe that payment to some of the directories mentioned does almost certainly guarantee inclusion. I do also believe that because we do not have paid submissions that this is one of the aspects that makes us unique.

Cheers.

snooks, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You talk as though we are a business! We are amateurs that work in our spare time pursuing our hobby. We have no concern for any value that might be added to a site because of a listing with us. That's why we are not interested in how commercial a site is in its set up, style or anything else. A suggestion waits for an editor to choose to review it for a possible listing.

What value would there be in knowing that we had not used a site? Except that it would generate more heat than it already does when we tell you that we do not have any order about looking at suggestions. Most sites not used would have to rebuild from scratch the material that it uses to get a list and if the siteowner cannot see that from reading the guidelines, why should we offer our free time to do it for nothing by giving information about why it was not used? Most siteowners would also argue that their site is the best since sliced bread and we had no right not to use it.

But if you mean checks on sites we list, there are plenty, like no editor has a category as 'theirs'. The last edit I did had another editors name at the bottom of the category. Every site listed by an editor, altered by an editor or deleted by an editor is associated with that editors name and any other editor can view that log. But if you mean in the sense of how long a site waits to be reviewed when submitted, then you have completely misunderstood the model we work upon.

snooks
    There are many directories that do not charge for submissions, but they do set out to review their submissions with a view to listing as many as possible usually to attract advertising. DMOZ does not do that. Neither do we have any commercial basis. BOTW etc do, I believe, try to make money. DMOZ has no such aspirations the motivation for the directory and its editors is to categorise and collate links for those who wish to search the internet using such tools.

For my money, if you will pardon the pun, the thing that marks us out is that we do not seek to make money or indeed operate on a commercial basis. And I still think that is why Google did and do use us for their directory.

Anonymously, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Snooks - I'm on staff for one of those directories. I know for a fact that we turn down submissions that do not conform to our criteria.

Believe whatever you want, just pointing out that believing it doesnt make it true.

robjones, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If that is addressed at me, Rob, I have not suggested anything else. My suggestion is that you operate on a commercial basis and part of that is to make money.

edit to add, I should learn to read, Rob, sorry I can see that you picked up on a comment by snooks.

Anonymously, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  6. hoodedwebmaster

hoodedwebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Anonymously, you stated I quote,

What about services? Do you have a criteria to accept service sites with no content like Google?

hoodedwebmaster, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  7. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Does being listed in DMOZ even matter any more.

soniqhost.com, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry I didn't see blank pages last time I looked at Google, have they changed it?

Anonymously, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  9. hoodedwebmaster

hoodedwebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, I think I understand what youre trying to say Anonymously, its not update of content but it actually being there, Thank you for that.

And Soniqhost, although the poll I setup up is a little biased since visitors to this thread already have an interest in DMOZ, looking at the results currently I would say it does matter to over 90% and for me personally its an achievement because not anyone gets listed and it was the very first Human Edited Directory and for those very reason I find it a big achievement for a site to be listed in DMOZ.

hoodedwebmaster, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  10. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not agree, I have few sites listed on DMOZ on the same email ;)
    I think the most important thing is quality of site, quality of content, how old your site is.
    Regards.

intro, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Quality of site...DMOZ is not interested
    How old the site is...DMOZ not interested unless its a blog or forum etc and has to show it is being well used.
    Quality of content....DMOZ is ONLY interested in unique content rich sites.

Anonymously, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You mean like Topix? Ya know, that site with tens of thousands of deep links with NOTHING but syndicated (i.e. DULPICATE) content?

Qryztufre, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  13. fathin1

fathin1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ?? That's like star on the sky... i want catch it.. but :(
    until today after 1 years ago my site never watch by their editor or...??
    now, i never drean about it... just bloging and get money that is the point...!!

fathin1, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  14. Learners

Learners Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, Very well said and I couldnt have said it better myself,

for certain Nothing is guaranteed and this is nothing but merely the starting foundation and is maybe the least expected to get listed, but if its on the right path then I would never believe it to be discarded, and then again every situation varies as you so correctly said.

And time, well there is wisdom we can learn from philosophy and I never forget when the all mighty created this universe in 6 days when a mere command from him could have it created with what our minds can comprehend as a blink of an eye, then I guess time is irrelevant to the final goal. And you so correctly said, following the guidelines can only but ease the process and make it move in a faster harmony.

Learners, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  15. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, only because it automatically feeds your link into Google Directory.

Pixelrage, Apr 30, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.