1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

quality score 1/10 - poor landing page quality, help?!

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Smoothie2, Apr 28, 2010.

Hi there

I've been running adwords on 3 websites for several months now and everything has been fine, but today all of a sudden, all ads across all three sites have been hit with a quality score of 1/10 citing a low quality landing page.

my sites are www.slr-lens.co.uk, camera-buyer.com and tech-saver.co.uk and they are a combination of reviews and links to ebay and amazon for buying either cameras or computer stuff.

I did set-up an ad campaign pointing to this page earlier on in the week for buying the new ipad:
    http://www.tech-saver.co.uk/?query=21&categoryId=171485
    I'm wondering whether this has prompted the 1/10 low quality score across all my sites.
    I also have a huge amount of keywords 45k+ across 400+ products - would the amount of keywords cause this problem?

So basically, i'm just asking for help, does anyone have any advice or suggestions about what I can do?
    Am i screwed and there's no point in trying to rectify this problem? I gather google doesn't like affiliate sites, but I was hoping that the mixture of quality content and affiliate links would be o.k.

Any replies would be gratefully received as I am very stressed by this!

Many thanks

Smoothie2, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  2. thesharc

thesharc Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure this would cause a degradation of your landing page score, but internally, I recieved this error when I loaded a page:
    Notice: Undefined variable: currency in /home/thesquas/public_html/slr-lens.co.uk/standardApiCall.php on line 302
    Notice: Undefined variable: currency in /home/thesquas/public_html/slr-lens.co.uk/standardApiCall.php on line 302
    Notice: Undefined variable: currency in /home/thesquas/public_html/slr-lens.co.uk/standardApiCall.php on line 308

all from www. slr-lens. co.uk /?type=canon&query=72&categoryId=31388 (im new so i can tpost a live link)

I got this message when i tried to load the second URL:

Notice: Undefined variable: currency in /home/thesquas/public_html/camera-buyer.com/standardApiCallFrontPage.php on line 298

Notice: Undefined variable: currency in /home/thesquas/public_html/camera-buyer.com/standardApiCallFrontPage.php on line 298

thesharc, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  3. Smoothie2

Smoothie2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for letting me know about that error. I think, i've sorted that error out,aAlthough I don't think this would be the source of the problem. As nearly all my adwords traffic targets the UK - and the error above I believe is due to the fact that you're in the states. Either way i've corrected it!

4. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the kind of errors above may have something to do with your low QS but I'm not 100% positive. The Adwords bot may be coming from outside the UK. In fact, there's a good chance it did and encountered the errors. So the fact you are targeting only the UK has no relevance.

Lucid Web Marketing, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  5. signupmakemoney

signupmakemoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't really worry too much about quality scores. What is more important is whether or not the keywords you're paying for a converting or not. That's what you should be looking for.

signupmakemoney, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  6. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    If his QS is 1/10, he will and should worry. His ads will not show much if at all at that level. If they do show, he's going to be paying a lot more than necessary.

Lucid Web Marketing, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  7. letsflycheaper

letsflycheaper Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know where I can find what score I have for key words?
    Appearently i'm average a 7, but where do they get that info

letsflycheaper, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  8. Riversway

Riversway Peon

Best Answers:
    When you are in the campaign there is a little icon in the 2nd or 3rd coloum(i think from memory) when you click on it the score and any issues come up.

Riversway, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  9. Smoothie2

Smoothie2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I've had a quality score of 7/10 for the past 3 months.... I don't think it particularly means anything.

I've fixed the above problem, but everything is still showing a 1/10 low quality landing page..... :-(

10. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    Your QS will readjust when the robot visits your page to re-evaluate it. It visits every 9 to 10 days.

Lucid Web Marketing, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  11. circus_freak

circus_freak Peon

Best Answers:
    you check out on your keyword status row, and find a small call out symbol above your keyword status, and put your mouse cursor on it, it will show your quality score

circus_freak, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  12. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    I believe he's asking how QS is figured out, not how to see your QS which he does say is 7. The answer is in the Adwords FAQ.

Lucid Web Marketing, Apr 29, 2010 IP
    citrustech likes this.
  13. Gaz7

Gaz7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have much content on your sites?

Google is trying to get rid of 'bridge' or arbitrage sites that sell straight away.

I personally don't understand why they're doing it - very annoying.

Gaz7, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  14. Noahdeck

Noahdeck Guest

Best Answers:
    The best way to figure out how to improve the quality score is basically by optimizing the pages. Sometimes even if you think you have already evaluated your keywords, there seems to be problems regarding ad placements.

Here are detailed instructions from Google Adwords:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=tips.html

Make sure to follow them! :)

Noahdeck, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  15. gasura

gasura Active Member

Best Answers:
    That has happened to me not once, not twice, but 6 times on 6 different landing pages. One of them had a PR 5 and I only bidded on a handful of keywords that were in the title and all throughout the website to keep things VERY RELEVANT. Just like you, all my QS had dropped to 1/10 due to poor landing page when I logged in to my account one fine day. All the other websites were the same. The only explanation I could come up with is that a G employee comes along one day and reckon that since you're an affiliate marketer then whatever you're selling is 'PROBABLY' a scam of some sort so they just canceled it for fun. And I mean FOR FUN. Google has millions of employees working for them and from the replies that I've been getting from them, it's really not hard to tell that most of them are idiots who are losing money for the company.

gasura, May 1, 2010 IP
  16. citrustech

citrustech Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd be worried with a QS of 1. Indeed I'm pretty worried about some of my keywords with QS 3/4. This certainly affects how many times you're shown since for these keywords I rarely see myself on the search page, even if there are only 3 other advertisers there. I'll be taking a look at Twilight Vanquisher's FAQ to try to sort those out as best I can.

citrustech, May 3, 2010 IP
  17. Kiss33

Kiss33 Banned

Best Answers:
    Quality score will determine where and if your ads are being shown...So it's extremely important to make sure that you have congruency with you campaign...meaning headline. ad copy, landing page, and URL are all relevant to each other.

Kiss33, May 4, 2010 IP
  18. citrustech

citrustech Peon

Best Answers:
    Just read Lucid Web Marketing's FAQ (which I'm sure he won't minf me linking to: Oh it turns out I can't yet, sorry). His link is a couple of posts higher up.

Not bad at all. Thanks for posting that.

I think my problem is CTR. I really/really need to get better ads. Anyone fancy providing any pointers on how to write a decent ad for a technical product?

citrustech, May 4, 2010 IP