1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So much NONSENSE about link building and backlinks...

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by GeorgR., Apr 26, 2010.

The longer i am doing SEO and the longer i am researching link building strategies, the more i realize that there is a lot of nonsense and false information around. I honestly think that many so called "SEOs" and "link builders" don't know a lot at all.

1) Noone ever said or has proven that *.edu or *.gov links are better. They are the SAME kind of links like any other link, and if people sell EDU and GOV because they THINK they are "better links" they are really morons.

The only reason why EDU and GOV might be "better" is simply the fact that some of them might be less spammed since they have less OBL (outbound links) - but this is not always the case.

2) MOST of the people selling link lists or link services like Angela/Pauls claim that their links are PR5, PR6 etc. while the big majority of those profile links is not worth ANYTHING, the are mostly PR0 and never get indexed. You would have to ping them at least to get recognized by google...but most still dont even have ANY PR.

3) Most self proclaimed SEOs and link sellers dont even know the difference between domain PR and page PR...and if you google and look for backlink lists its always the same: People telling you you get a nice PR6, PR7, PR8 link because the DOMAIN has that page rank.
    Usually, the actual pages are PR0 <--- worthless. This is with most of the lists i can find online.

4) To be honest, i think that blog commenting and especially profile links have VERY LITTLE value. For blog commenting the huge majority of links is NF (nofollow), almost ALL wordpress blogs are Nofollow which is most of the blogs out there.

There are only a few blog platforms like blogengine, drupal etc. where you can find DoFollow...but you have to scrape BIG lists (eg. with scrapebox)..and then if you filter out anything PR5 and up you HARDLY get any blogs higher than PR5 which are DoFollow. Very, very few! For a serious link building campaign this is very slow and tedious since you really cant do more than a few per day, ASSUMING that your comments even get accepted and stick!

GeorgR., Apr 26, 2010 IP
    lifeplayer likes this.
  2. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree slightly on #1, the rest of your points are valid and spot on.

The reason IMHO that edu/gov sites are better is the plain fact that they have thousands upon thousands of quality sites linking to them, making them (the edu/gov) valuable and 'authoritative.' Most edu/gov sites have been around for at least a decade and we all know that domain age is a factor that plays into the ranking algorithm. The only thing I can think of that is worthless are the blogs/forums/etc. on edu/gov sites that have tons of crappy spammy comments which worth diddly scratch.

It's been my experience that a link from a quality site that has quality content and relates directly to your site is the best kind of link to have, regardless of the TLD.

SCLocal, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  3. zoom

zoom Peon

Best Answers:
    I think anyone who is on this forum for a while knows this staff about links.

zoom, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  4. indosp

indosp Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes.. im agree that many people dont understand about pagerank. They buy link in domain with high PR but their link appear in page that has low PR.

indosp, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  5. tata_capl

tata_capl Peon

Best Answers:
    Disagree with your first point because .edu and .gov are most trusted links. rest og the points are fine.

tata_capl, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  6. will dc

will dc Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that as a percentage of total .whatever sites, there are more .edu and .gov sites that are of higher value than .com sites. But I am not sure that they categorically are better than others.

will dc, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  7. GeorgeKuipers

GeorgeKuipers Peon

Best Answers:
    GeorgR, I have just spotted what proffi know for a long time already. Besides, there are so many other ways to build really high-quality linking, that only mostly newbees are using blog-posts and forum signatures in desperate attempts to get good backlinks network.

GeorgeKuipers, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  8. thebitbotdotcom

thebitbotdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    In reference to point number three, a backlink that can be found on a page with PR0 in a domain with PR10 is worth PR0. Agreed.

thebitbotdotcom, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  9. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no one ever said that edu/gov links are better means they are all right...:)
    most profile links are worthless but blog commenting can be very helpful if done right. its just a matter of selecting blogs that dont have nofollow added to external links and posts that are not spammed. even with nofollow links form blog commenting, they still have value. google is not the end of the world, yahoo and bing still count those links

sultanofseo, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  10. jimmypagesolo

jimmypagesolo Peon

Best Answers:
    And that's why my site always is low rank than its competitors while my backlinks are richer than they have. I spent almost time to comment blog, use link building services and create link in PR0 page (#2). I think i have to start all thing at zero again. Thanks for your information. Nice post!

jimmypagesolo, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  11. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So why do you disagree with #1? As you said before edu/gov links are good because they come from authority websites and TLD has nothing to do with the quality of links? A bit contradicting...
    At the end of the day it's quality of the website and not TLD that's important... totally agree with OP on all points and I just hate profile links as they are just pure spam.

praetserge, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  12. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I gave this thread 5* for actually making a lot of sense, it's difficult to find on DP these days :p

Pixelrage, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  13. gurvinderpal

gurvinderpal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the way DP is gettin spammed I dont see any future for serious members here...

gurvinderpal, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  14. dionysus1

dionysus1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I never realized that most blogs were nofollow. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time :(
    Oh well, now I know to always check before I invest too much time into commenting on someone's blog.

dionysus1, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  15. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt the OP knows much either or the next guy in the seo business line. I see this post just more of an angry give me attention than actual value. I agree with some that have responded to the thread and said that there is a significant amount of spam on DP, but one has to take into consideration that DP is a large community and spam here and there is expected.

tercede, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  16. websitemarketing

websitemarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    No follow can still be beneficial not to Google which of course is the most important but you don't want rule out all other SE's who will still follow the links for indexing purposes.

websitemarketing, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  17. sickmarketing

sickmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    edu and gov used to be good, some still are. the biggest issue now is that when they are found they are spammed to death adn the admin quickly takes them offline, or ads preventative measures.

Sick

sickmarketing, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  18. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of the great post.
    Agreed that many so call "SEO" dont actually know about this
    And therefore many people are doing SEO in wrong way

lifeplayer, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  19. Herbs01

Herbs01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree on the on the so called gurus of SEO great article BTW

Herbs01, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  20. Dracs69

Dracs69 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Citing number 3 - I have given work to a number of self-proclaimed SEO experts and they did not get the job done! whew!

I think a mix of everything - blog commenting, SB links, directory and article submission, etc. is actually beneficial in SEO. Blog commenting by itself holds less value and so are the other methods just by themselves.

Dracs69, Apr 28, 2010 IP