1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Opinions on Thesis theme. Looks a little bare doesn't it ?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by 1gn1t0r, Apr 25, 2010.

I have recently purchased the renowned Thesis Theme for my blog. I did so because the Internet is cluttered with posts pertaining to the SEO effectiveness of this theme. So I purchased it and applied it to my blog (Link in sig).

While the Blog has tons of features, especially SEO targeted features, I was somewhat dissapointed about the visuals of the theme.

Have any of you got the Thesis theme ?
    I am no php programmer, but can someone point me in the right direction to customize this theme ?

1gn1t0r, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  2. Joshua Pitts

Joshua Pitts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The default thesis skin is pretty ugly, but that can simply be fixed by googling for some "Free Thesis Skins".

Joshua Pitts, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  3. Blogington

Blogington Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I don't know what all the fuss is about with the thesis theme.

It doesn't seem to give you anything more than many other premium themes do, yet people seem obsessed with it.

-B

Blogington, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  4. Hollow

Hollow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thesis, in case you haven't noticed is a highly marketed theme, and thus is just an affiliate product made to be sold like so.
    After you buy it, you have the option of selling it through your site so others can waste their money on it and you'll get a percentage.

Hollow, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Hollow, good point - the makers of that theme just simply did a great job of overhyping it. I personally have seen much better alternatives. The whole "SEO friendly theme" thing is total BS - themes have absolutely nothing to do with SEO. Only the content you put on a site and the backlinks pointing to them do.

Pixelrage, Apr 26, 2010 IP
    Lastbutnotleast likes this.
  6. 1gn1t0r

1gn1t0r Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I agree, it seems to be totally overhyped. But I have found that there is some truth in the SEO friendliness of the theme. It's mostly like a premium theme and the All in One SEO pack bundled together.

Thanks orc_dragoon, I have Google for Thesis Skins and have found various awesome thesis skins and customizations.

1gn1t0r, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  7. theredsheep

theredsheep Member

Best Answers:
    I gotta admit. There's many things about this theme, it is as mentioned before, heavily marketed and thus the hype all over the web. With that said, it is a solid theme. It requires more than beginners understanding and even practical use of php, I don't care what anyone else tells you. The approach it takes on upgrades is brilliant and worthwhile. Its very flexible if you know what you want to do and are brave enough to get your hands dirty and risk breaking your site, even for just a little bit. The problem with is is what the OP said, the default look basically sucks. Yeah you can throw in a free skin and be done with it but then what is the point of paying such high price for someone else's design? You might as well pay a designer for a custom unique theme. The SEO options are actually really good and very customizable, if your site is heavy in content, I think Thesis is worth the price just for the SEO customization without having to worry about a plugin being abandoned, or not updated or whatever.

You have to remember that Thesis is a framework but unfortunately it is marketed as a theme. It really just gives you places and easy locations to drop in your code and widgets without having to modify a lot of files. It also lets you change styles via CSS in a single file. If you don't want to mess with PHP and or CSS, Thesis isn't right for you, unless you're satisfied with the Options from within the UI, which I must say are awesome, but just not enough to get you a wow theme IMO. The support in the forums is great as are the people there and you can build a great site with Thesis, but also with Carrington, and Thematic, and Atahualpa and... its more about what degree of customization and level of difficulty you're comfortable with.

theredsheep, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  8. jaydipparikh

jaydipparikh Peon

Best Answers:
    You can google "Free Thesis Skin" if you are looking some good looking skin for free else there are few paid but nicely looking skin are there in market.

jaydipparikh, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  9. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    This is it. Fortunately I did not buy it! :)

Lastbutnotleast, Apr 28, 2010 IP