1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Choice: Brand or business keyword

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wyuguy, Sep 12, 2006.

Recently I am about to launch a new shopping-cart site.
    I want to set up a short and easy remember brand name for my business and as the domain name.
    but depend on what I see on this forum,put keywords in the domain would be better sef,however it would be a long name.

Just like the following situation
    www.brand.com
    www.mybusinessname.com

Which one should be better?

Having kw in domain is still carry weight today?

Tks for your Feedback.

wyuguy, Sep 12, 2006 IP
    falcondriver likes this.
  2. everypcneed

everypcneed Peon

Best Answers:
    Keywords in the domain's name carries alot of weight with Search Engines and when performing SEO on the site.

I strongly suggest using the keyword rather then the business name unless of course you can mix the 2 for a catchy name.

Rick

If you found this post usseful ensure to provide some REP points!!

everypcneed, Sep 12, 2006 IP
    wyuguy likes this.
  3. starke

starke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have seen many sites that are not too optimized place highly in the Serps because their domain name matches the query phrase.

Tell the co that they need 2 sites, one for the word phrase, another to compliment their corporate image/company info... more design work for you.

starke, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  4. AnaB

AnaB Peon

Best Answers:
    You'd do much better with both. And both can direct to the same content. it's like having all the TLDs (.com,.net,.org) If you have a .org you generally want a .com and you'd want them to point to the same page

AnaB, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  5. britopian.com

britopian.com Peon

Best Answers:
    using a brand name will help build "long term" profiltibility and brand awareness (both online and offline).

DON'T worry about using a keyword in the domain. It carries VERY little weight.

britopian.com, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  6. wyuguy

wyuguy Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems more ppl incline to hv kw in domain,but I also agree brand is for a long run business. If I got the advanced tech like Goolges' ,I wouldn't worry about the domain any more.

BTW,if I hv with both,redirect one to the other one,Do google only count the finally one ?

wyuguy, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  7. eukhost

eukhost Banned

Best Answers:
    Keywords in the domain is just one of the many factors determining site's ranking in the SEs. You can concentrate on other factors and rank well even if your domain name doesn't have keywords in it. I would suggest you to opt for a short and easy to remember brand name for long term benefits.

eukhost, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  8. Kaudo

Kaudo Peon

Best Answers:
    GOD DAMN, Wyuguy, use your brain!

Do you really think Amazon.com sells that river? Together with ebay selling that part when the river reaches the sea?

If you are about to launch new e-shopping site, what is it going to sell?

That one item you can hide in the domain name?

Even with the simplest niche e-shop you will sell lots of items.

Are you going to register a domain name like best-refrigerators-and-freezers-and-ice-boxes.com?

Stick with the brand. If your brand name also contains one of the keywords, the better (what about www.FRIDGENIAL.com? it´s still available. Also in .net or .org).

Keep your domain name short and sticky, hitting the brain of the visitor (like DIGG.com).

It could be meaningful word(s) - people will quickly remember it (PAYPAL.com).
    Or it could be hard-to-believe-it´s-true-word, very unique, if the service you provide is unique (or leading) as well (GOOOOOO...you know what...GLE) so you will differentiate from the others.

SEs may give 1 or 2 points more to the domain containing one of the 250 keywords you will optimize your site for, but with best-vacuum-cleaners-in-the-world.com you will never reach repeated visitors typing your domain name directly to their browser each time they want to buy something.

Kaudo, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  9. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you only worry about SEO for NOW, use mykeywords.com

If you carry about online marketing, branding, and long term SEO, SEM facts, use mbrand.com

onestop, Sep 25, 2006 IP