1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Copyright of the webpage

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by photomoon, Apr 8, 2010.

Hey!

Don´t know if this is the right place to ask, but I do it.

I want to know how you do when a client want a webpage from you.
    Do you do the webpage and the client have to be satisfied with it, or do you work together with the client until the client is satisfied? How much do you people "control" the work?

How about the copyright of the webpage? If you´re paid (or not) for the webpage; thas it matter?
    Is it just you that can make changes to the page (after you given the webpage away)?
    Or is it then up to the client what he/she wants to do with the webpage?

I am a little bit afraid that my client can have somebody else to do the changes, to the webpage I have made for he/she after I´ve been paid. Is that okey?

Other thouhgts about this? Have I forget something?

Thanx!! :cool:

photomoon, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  2. snorkel

snorkel Peon

Best Answers:
    Typically when you do freelance design the sale contract involves the client taking over all rights to the content, in exchange for payment. Therefore they can do whatever they want with it.

If commission design were as simple as making one version you think is good and showing it to a happy client, I'd do it a lot more... usually what happens (not all the time though) is a back-and-forth process where the client has (usually) indefinite, vague, slightly stupid ideas, you put something together, it might be what they wanted, they pick out details to be changed, you do more drafts, etc. Really it's different from client to client, some just want you to make anything that looks nice and trust you to use your judgement, others will want to have every detail redone.

snorkel, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  3. khawari

khawari Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah Snorkel i agree with you!

khawari, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  4. Areol

Areol Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Snorkel . What i tend to do and this does vary from client to client or project to project. Is first and foremost get as much detail about the project before you actually start . That sounds like a logical thing to do but you have to keep in mind that you must actually understand what the client wants in the first place by asking specific questions , ask about what idea's they personally have then give your professional opinion which may differ from what they wanted . This will make the process flow more fluidly and quickly also it will result in better work hopefully.

At the end of the day the clients decision is what matters but if you think something would benefit them and they say they want a bright orange huge box for example somewere that distracts attention & that doesnt look good, then give your opinion argue your point and give it from a user side perspective.

The phrase " give whatever your client wants" should never be taken literally. Your client doesnt have your professional skills or design flare. They havent been trained neither do they posses the artistic , knowledge or background to give you an exact or accurate description of what they want or ideally need.

This is were it gets tricky and can infact become a nightmare. This depends on your client and there personally . Some clients as suggested above will let you have full creative freedom but at the same time can restrict you to certain boundaries. Others want to have things look exactly as they want even though it looks not so good and may even be against what you would have suggested. Other can completely disregard your work and you may need to start again or lose out on your valuable time. I suggest having an upfront non negotiable prepyament which is also non refunadable. This protects your time and work to a certain extent.

Its all very easy to just give the client what they want but to successful and really have the clients best interest at heart you should always give your own personal opinion in all matters and justify those.

Also when you come to actually doing the work watermark your work also you may need to do many revisions that the client suggests that can sometimes become tedious.

As for copyright ownership. If the client pays for your services and you deliver exactly what was contracted then they own the right too all materials ( to a certain extent ) . Ie they payd for it so they off course now own it.

As for making changes its upto the client if he / she wants other individuals to alter or make changes . As for say voluntary work then thats a complete different matter all together. The clients own the right to a certain extent provided they agree to certain terms if you have any.

Hope this helps & PS longest post i have ever made :DD

Areol, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  5. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, if someone has hired you to design something for them, then that's exactly what you're doing. Designing it how they want it, and not how you want it, though most people appreciate some input from the designer since they have experience in the field.

Piggy, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  6. pixelbatch

pixelbatch Peon

Best Answers:
    The client ultimately has all the control but decency usually drives him/her to work with you to make something "better" rather than simply rejecting a design. Unless explicitly agreed upon to do otherwise prior to purchase, the client can remove your copyright; however, decency once more drives the client to usually at least keep a link to your page. An analogy I like to use is: One wouldn't paint over an artist's name on a painting, although one certainly could.

pixelbatch, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  7. ahass

ahass Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless there is a prior agreeement, the client has full owenership and copyright of the design

ahass, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  8. fixesign

fixesign Member

Best Answers:
    Thats right. Voluntary work then thats a complete different matter all together.

fixesign, Apr 24, 2010 IP