1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.co domain ? does it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by links4rank, Apr 22, 2010.

.co domain began, and I knew I could register a lot of good domains.

My question:

Is it worth to register .co domains ? $29 per year.

links4rank, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  2. teper

teper Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think it's worth as you are getting lot of good options to choose from

teper, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    does it worth it???

do you mean, Is it worth it?

it's up to you, all >TDL's are the same in google's eyes

Brandon Sheley, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  4. theAdviserMe

theAdviserMe Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it is new so the options to get good names are still there...but the price is quite hard to swallow so to speak...

theAdviserMe, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  5. Cheat

Cheat Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheat, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  6. iain123

iain123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you go cheat :)
    wiki again
    cant you do any better than that that would you like me to add all the facts :)

iain123, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  7. Cheat

Cheat Peon

Best Answers:
    Your just jealous.

So... how's your "3D" .com domains doing? :)

Cheat, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  8. iain123

Best Answers:
    cheat one bit of advice
    dont give out bad advice to others just because you are hung up on the new .com lmao does not seal it as so this has a long long way to go to prove itself and tbh its highly unlikely it will even with the all the marketing and hype that has been done this is actually one of the worst things to happen in domain history if you are involved in a large number of sites.

This will definitely cause some problems. All the .COM domains have almost been used up because businesses are using those domains. So, if we already have a business running XYZ.COM, who gets to run XYZ.CO? Most people would say the same company and if that's the case then then only difference is that this company must now pay for yet another domain.

In other words, this move doesn't open up any new business names. It simply allows duplicates of existing ones, which means either a company just has to pay for more domains (and .CO domains are currently expensive) or two companies will be battling for domains with the same name.

As for ".co can stand for community, collaboration, content, connection, or commerce" - so what? It can also stand for every other word starting with "co". The whole idea with a TLD is that it stands by convention for only one thing. Nobody argues that ".org" is cool because it can stand for organ, organic, and orgy

iain123, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  9. mirturk

mirturk Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not worth. It can't compete with .com, .net, or .org extensions.

mirturk, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  10. professionalist

professionalist Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just because you have many of options ,it does worth it and even more

professionalist, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  11. Olaf

Olaf Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally not worth the fee, i've mad mistakes on .am and that was than .co. Keep your money and find .com net or .org, be inventive and find the gap.

.co just looks cheap/spam domain, dont know why it just does.

Olaf, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  12. Attraqtive

Attraqtive Peon

Best Answers:
    nothing new here. nothing beats a .com all others are just hype created by the registrars to mint money ha!

probably you'll get the typo traffic that's all. and I also feel that .co feels cheap maybe because of .co.nr etc

Attraqtive, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  13. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    It's good if you're doing business in Colombia or if you managed to get a premium domain name like food.co or shoes.co. Otherwise it's worthless and a waste of money.

Pixelrage, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  14. Cheat

Cheat Peon

Best Answers:
    Many of you register a cocktail of hard to remember characters in the .com extension as your domain name, because you are misinformed by the “it must be .com argument”, (although this is becoming less common). This happens regardless whether you are international corporations or not, you want to have a global presence or be seen as a global company. Who doesn’t? and why limit yourself to only local Colombia market right? But is it really true that having a .com domain gives you automatically global presence\reach, while .co is a sentence to republicanism?

I do not think so. I believe that in the marketing arena, the benefits of a short, memorable, easy to type, and hard to misspell premium .co name, far out weight any benefits of a medium quality empty vessel .com domain. My advise is don’t settle for mediocrity when the .com you really want is either taken, or out of reach financially. Consider a premium .co, establish a presence, and after your business takes off and you really want a .com, it will be more affordable to you then. Look at sedo.com as an example, a German company in the domain aftermarket business, they started from the German country code .de as sedo.de, later to acquire sedo.com

In making a naming decision One has to remind oneself, is it really about you or is it about your customer, if it’s about your customer then don’t you want to give them a name that they can easily remember and experience (remember they are going to type it in on a daily basis, on their iPhones, Blackberries …) isn’t that the purpose of the name after all. Also don’t forget your marketing team, and give them a charismatic name to work with.

If you area tech startup, most likely you will be in need of funding, which means pitching presentations to Venture Capitalists. Put yourself in VC’s shoes for a second, venture capitalists see hundreds of pitches, the first thing they see is your company name, most of which are horrible and easily forgettable, since naming is a type of creative process that is not a natural fit with talented people from the technical field. Making a pitch under a memorable name, makes you stand out and thus makes the VC more receptive of your business plan idea, and puts your company automatically in a more advantageous position. This is easier done with a dot-co of course.

Given the option of a premium .co and a mediocre .com, is the choice starting to look more clear?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Cheat, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  15. iain123

Best Answers:
    its does not matter what you think you have no control how things turn out and they wont turn out the way you think
    do you work for them or something ?
    sorry your arguement still has no weight
    .co will never be seen as you put it "the new .com"

iain123, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  16. Cheat

Cheat Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll never know because people tend to choose shorter alternatives.

You get to choose whatever you want for one less letter.

And shorter = better in the domain world.

This is why .NAME failed against .ME

Cheat, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  17. iain123

Best Answers:
    it has nothing to do with choosing shorter alternatives some big loooong domains have sold for big bucks in the past and will again
    before you dis that remember what happened the last time you dissed this statement you were shot down in flames
    i wish you luck in your venture you are obvioulsy well hung up on this
    i have made my point on both the threads and i might add its valid its up to others to decide if they want to rush in on this,myself i am just protecting interests as i have far too much to lose.

iain123, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  18. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Can the geotargeting get stripped from the .CO in Google Webmaster like .TV can?

Pixelrage, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  19. Cheat

Cheat Peon

Best Answers:
    Your chance for selling long ass domains is 1/1000000.
    I get more chance selling short domains.

Don't get me wrong.

If iselllongass3ddomainnames.com is taken by you and you sell it for 1 million dollars, i can still get longass3ddomainnames.com for 6 bucks.
    If 3d.com is taken, i will have hard time to get a good 3d .com domain to compete with 3d.com unless I go with 3d.co or 3d.tv which is much better and shorter then 3d.com :)

Your just shooting your self in the foot just for an "M".

Cheat, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  20. Cheat

Cheat Peon

Best Answers:
    Always remember this:

[​IMG]

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -Leonardo da Vinci-

The simplest explanation is usually the best. -Isaac Newton-

Cheat, Apr 23, 2010 IP