1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

First Time Marketer, Boss Says Increase Leads... BUT HOW?!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by rcalderoni, Apr 20, 2010.

So I'm normally a programmer but the boss says I have the 'skills' necessary for doing internet marketing. He wants us to increase our leads and website traffic to obviously increase sales. The problem is I have NO idea what could work. Especially since we are targeting business more than consumers for our product. The other catch is that there really isn't anything I can spend money on, he says they've tried paid advertising and it doesn't give the results they want, so now they are putting the money on staff to do marketing.

I can tweak our sites SEO, which I've done, and keywords, etc, I don't think there is anything else to do here. Or comment on blogs that are relevant with link backs, this seems to me like a quick way to get banned from a website... other than that, I have no idea how to increase leads, this is not what I went to school for but I do want to take on the challenge. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? What kind of things does an internet marketer do on a day to day basis??

Thanks.

rcalderoni, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  2. proson

proson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is your site? What you are selling? Before I can give you the suggestion, it is better to understand what before the how.

proson, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  3. rcalderoni

rcalderoni Peon

Best Answers:
    www.keystonelearning.com

rcalderoni, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  4. kidsko

kidsko Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No offense but your boss sounds like an idiot. He put money into advertising before but it didn't give them the results they wanted, so instead they are having inexperienced individuals who they are paying hourly to generate leads? Yeah definitely a smart.

Anyways, if I was you I would spend some time learning the basics and from there do what everyone says to do initially which is a lot of ground work. If you have a lot of videos which your site seems to do, why don't you just cut pieces of them and put them on youtube as teasers? You would definitely start drumming up traffic that way if the tutorials were of value to people

kidsko, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  5. jinmin

jinmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the most effective way you can do increase leads and traffic is by using video marketing. You may create a short video talking about the product and training that your company offered.

Create 1-2 video /day and submit it to video sites. The video no need to be long, just make sure it is around 20 - 30 seconds which is good enough.
    You need to setup a simple dedicated squeeze page to collect leads. so the process flow will look something like this :

visitors -> squeeze page (collect their info) -> follow-up

you can expect to get 50 -100 additional leads easily if you keep submitting videos consistently. As they become viral, the viral will duplicate itself and thus increase its exposure as well.

jinmin, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  6. TOC

TOC Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe,you need to understand target,then make an plan before you do

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home decorations & Home collection Manufacturer

TOC, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  7. fr@nc!z

fr@nc!z Active Member

Best Answers:
    fr@nc!z, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  8. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    We advertise.

That, next to word of mouth, is the only real way.

Like the other poster said, your boss is an idiot. In more ways than one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Perry Rose, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  9. desperateboy

desperateboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Suggest to boss that take a expert seo service from seo company. If you do programming & marketing then a lot of time you would have to invest and waiting for result.

desperateboy, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  10. Ric Hayter

Ric Hayter Peon

Best Answers:
    Start an affiliate program.
    Open an Adwords Campaign (easy to get a $100 free coupon).
    Add content to your site others will find worthy of remarking about and link to (remarkable content).

Ric Hayter, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  11. coluden

coluden Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think that this is not a smart idea on the part of your boss, but you know how that goes. He is the boss. I suggest that you go to the Google Adword keyword tool, put the website into the designated slot, and see which keywords come up. Try to concentrate on keywords that get over 10,000 searches per month. You can then go to Google again, and search for those same keywords in quotes, eg. "keyword phrase", then see how much competition you have. I think that if you can ignore anything that has over 50,000 competing web pages.

So, once you have the list of qualified keywords or search phrase, you can start writing articles of 300 - 400 words each. Make sure they are not selling stuff, just giving information. Your link toyour company's website will be in the author's bio section at the end of the articles. Then you can submit those articles free to the top 5 article directories (search for them). This is totally free, and guess what? Given 4 - 6 months of doing this for your boss, you'll see how you can quit the job, do this for yourself, and make more than you earn now! Seriously!

coluden, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  12. rcalderoni

rcalderoni Peon

Best Answers:
    Sooo... It seems like there is a lot of writing involved in this type of work?

rcalderoni, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  13. TOMCCO

TOMCCO Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the quickest and easiest way for you to generate leads in the short term would be to write articles and submit them to sites such as ezinearticles (.com) or you can use software that will rewrite your articles and submit them to various article sites, a free one (if still available) is found at (http://) cashflowfunnel.com/vsubmitter.html (no www.).
    My other suggestion would be to do link exchanging (which you can do from this site under the Business Section).

Wish you all the best - by the way the other suggestions re. video is also an excellent way of generating traffic.

TOMCCO, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  14. rcalderoni

rcalderoni Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the advice, looks like we are going to bring on a 'rock-star' advertising guru after all. I'll still probably be working some on marketing but maybe like 50/50, gotta get back into developing new features for KeyStone OnDemand.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  15. Ylva

Ylva Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to have a target audience/Market First.

Ylva, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  16. rcalderoni

rcalderoni Peon

Best Answers:
    The target market is businesses and enterprises. Pretty much the same target markets as ZendDesk and BaseCamp, for example.

17. jon2010

jon2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like the problem has been solved - work along side the "expert" if you can and then they can offer you some great tips of how you can help :)

did your boss read this thread and get 'insulted' into taking someone on ? :)

jon2010, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  18. rcalderoni

rcalderoni Peon

Best Answers:
    hahaha! very doubtful, it seems like I had jumped the gun with my assumptions that's all, well at least I got the hints that I needed, thanks everyone for your replies

19. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I 110% agree with this guy. Marketing is a science and an art and and it can take years to master and perfect. I have lots of tools feeding me statistical data 24/7 and I plan and react to what the information is telling me, secondly I understand the customer and therefore I provide a better solution than 99% of the people out there that think they understand the customer but they really don't and can't work out why they are going bust when they have a product or service in demand.

Even if you just took the time to first understand these three things you'd move yourself into a small group of people, who make all the money in internet marketing and do get it and understand how to manage and offset risk and maximize reward. I'm still shocked at people who think they understand this business and they really don't and they still question why they never make any leads or sales.

Seqqa, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  20. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    * Create a Google/Yahoo! Local Map listing (FREE)
    * Get listed in the Vertical Directories (FREE)
    * Set up AWeber, write a few auto-responders (NOT Free)
    * Now place a Lightbox or email capture on the website (FREE)
    * OnPage SEO (Title tag, Meta tag cleanup will suffice, FREE)
    * Free Press Releases (scribble something and post it up, FREE)
    * Free Blog
    * Facebook FanPage
    * Free Twitter account
    * Write some Free Articles and post to Ezine (FREE)

Now, implement it all and get your company some leads... By doing the above, you will definitely get more than just leads.
    You will boost your sales, by minimum of 30% (if done correctly) by the end of the year.

GuruCreation, Apr 21, 2010 IP
    seeknulfind likes this.