1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how hard is it to rank on first page for keyword "laptops"?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by atiqi36, Apr 20, 2010.

yea basically just want to know how hard is it to rank for keyword laptops on the first page of google? and how do you define a competitive ness of a keyword?
    Also what do you think should be a realistic budget for this?

Thanks

atiqi36, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  2. HydroJohn

HydroJohn Active Member

Best Answers:
    do a search in google with quotation marks so for the search term laptop there are
    Results 1 - 10 of about 156,000,000 for "laptop"
    so this is one of the hardest keywords to compete for!
    you want to try keywords with less than 50,000 compeiting if your new.

HydroJohn, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  3. atiqi36

atiqi36 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    to be honest I can understand how hard would it be to rank for laptops as only on the first page of google uk there are companies like amazon, laptopsdirect, pcworld, currys etc i was just wondering how much would you realisticly have to spend to be on the first page?

atiqi36, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  4. werner77

werner77 Peon

Best Answers:
    this keyword is extremely competitive, hydros advice is correct look for keywords with less than 50 000 competing pages. a tool like micro niche finder can help you with that.

werner77, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  5. whiteeaglet

whiteeaglet Peon

Best Answers:
    Climbing Mountain...

whiteeaglet, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  6. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't ever think about getting close to first few pages. If you perform google search, you will see that there are tons of result just for this keyword alone.
    Not sure about the budget but if you analyze those websites which are listed on the first page, they probably already spent a lot just to maintain their position there.

lycos, Apr 20, 2010 IP
    kidsko likes this.
  7. asghar.paracha

asghar.paracha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you go for it and optimize this keyword then u need to wait for a long time, better is to get a domain which is cotains the keyword and then try to optimize,

asghar.paracha, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  8. atiqi36

atiqi36 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    any rough idea about budget? £1000/month or something? just want a wild guess from SEO masters.

atiqi36, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  9. logicsofts13

logicsofts13 Peon

Best Answers:
    depends on the age of the domain, no of pages, product searches etc etc.. however , lets say your domain is 3 years old and you have around 50 pages then i would say it will take atleast 1 year to get top 3 page ranking on £800-£1200/month... if you need more info PM me..

logicsofts13, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  10. HydroJohn

HydroJohn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say a budget is out of the equation here. If it was that easy anyone with money could buy into seo. If your working on a budget of £1,200 per month average SEO contract being 18months,

so thats a total of £21,600.

there are 37,200,000 globally searching for a laptop each month, on average 3 page views per user and if your top spot 70% of organic traffic means 78,120,000 page views per month,

if you had a 0.1% referal rate for selling laptops thats 78,000 laptops sold which is a commision of over £500,000 with a £7 commision rate. That means huge profit to be made but unfortunately its not as easy as you think otherwise we would all be doing this!

you require an elite seo expert which is nearly impossible to come by because they dont offer there services to anyone except themselevs where they tap into hard niches and make fortunes.

you answer is to learn.

i've spent 4 years in the seo game now and would find it hard to break into the first 10 pages so give it up!

also i would reccomdn you never hire the services of anyone over the internet. find a local company offering seo services!
    try a keyword like,

"laptops under £300"
    "budget laptops"
    "quadcore laptops"

hope this post helps.

HydroJohn, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  11. leepee

leepee Active Member

Best Answers:
    For keyword "laptops" there are 65,000,000 result pages in Google,so it's very difficult to get top ranking for this keyword because there are strong competitors like bestbuy & wikipedia for this keyword.But with best SEO techniques everything is possible on my opinion,it'll take time to get top ranking.

leepee, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  12. digital29

digital29 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don`t think you stand a chance...those are very old and trusted websites, so you can`t compete with them with a new website...

digital29, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  13. social-media

social-media Member

Best Answers:
    Searching for single keywords with or without quotes yeilds the same number of results. And simply looking for sites that have "my keyword phrase" SOMEWHERE on the page is a very poor measure of competition. You're better off searching for things like:

intitle:"my keyword phrase" (number of pages in index with that exact phrase in the title element)
    inurl:"my keyword phrase" (number of pages in index with that exact phrase in the URL)
    intitle:"my keyword phrase" inurl:"my keyword phrase" (number of pages in index with that exact phrase in BOTH the title element AND URL)

These are sites that are REALLY trying to rank for "my keyword phrase". A simple search for "my keyword phrase" only shows pages that contain that exact phrase SOMEWHERE in the content... frequently just in passing and are not even trying to rank for the phrase.

And BWT, if you want to rank on page one for laptop, you might as well hang it up unless you have the marketing $$$ to buy and otherwise aquire tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of inbound links with "laptops" as the link text. Go after longtail related laptop phrases instead. You'll have a MUCH better chance to rank well.

social-media, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  14. selectsplat

selectsplat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As others have said, it would be next to impossible. I don't think you could do it without a $20,000 - $80,000 per month advertising budget and at least a few months to work with.

However, the other part of your question is a little easier to answer.
    There are a couple of different ways to gauge competitiveness.

first, you can use the 'intitle' command in Google to see how many other people are actively optimized on that key word. If they have the keyphrase in the title of the page, then you will be competing with these people directly. For this keyword, there are about 4,520,000 other people that are actively trying to get on the homepage of that SERP.
    http://www.google.com/search?source...tnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

My rule of thumb is that any SERP with over 100k results from the 'intitle' search is pretty competitive. anything with over a million, and you can pretty much forget it.

Note that this search is different than just searching for you keyword, or ever searching for it with quotes. if you don't use the 'intitle' command then you will get many more results, but in almost every case, the ones it doesn't show in the 'intitle' command ones are ones that you can easily rank higher than.

The other way that you can gauge competitiveness is to check the google keyword tool.
    https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

This tool gives you a measure of how competitive a term is in Adwords. And almost always, when a keyword is competitive in Adwords, it is also competitive organically.

Hope this helps.

selectsplat, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  15. freddythom

freddythom Peon

Best Answers:
    First this is not possible in a short period of time, the quickest maybe 6 months. But otherwise, you need to do longtail keywords..like "cheap hp laptop sale" then you stand a chance

freddythom, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  16. AirForce1

AirForce1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to rank for one word keyword for any purpose, IMO. Also, one word keyword would usually have a worse conversion rate. You might want to pick up some relative long tail keywords or local targeted keywords at the beginning of your sites. They would usually have higher conversion rate, too. :)

Thanks,

AirForce1, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  17. internetpassion

internetpassion Peon

Best Answers:
    in my opinion laptop is considered a short tail keyword ( a keyword with either one word or two) which you will find really competitive to get into the first page. What you will find is if you go for more of the longer tail keyword (3-4 word keyword) for e.g new manufactured laptops you become more specific thus resulting with less people to compete for that keyword. The only problem with going for a longer tail keyword is that you might not get enough search volume. So it's a balancing act. You want a decent keyword that you can compete with and has decent amount of searches (i usually go for 30 000 local and global using the google keyword tool)

internetpassion, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  18. seo555

seo555 Peon

Best Answers:
    if you want to result on "laptop" keyword so its very easy idea make high PR back link like your site on 5PR 100link, 9 to 6PR 100 links, and 1 to 3 PR type 200 or 300 links and all links are stable on same page. also do some paid submission like on PPC, submit your store in high popular website like amazon.com

seo555, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  19. justin.helloall

justin.helloall Peon

Best Answers:
    Realistically for a one man team it would be near impossible, your working against every computer store out there and every online computer store aswell. Amazon, Bestbuy, newegg to name a few.

justin.helloall, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  20. niroshana35

niroshana35 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is hard to compete for a single keyword for the first page in Google. It depends on a few facts such as the

1. Competition for that keyword.
    2. Age of the domain.
    3. link popularity.
    4. Google PR.
    5. Off page optimization for the specific keyword.

It is possible to get rankings but it may take time and effort.

niroshana35, Apr 20, 2010 IP