1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it ok to use other website images for your own site and...

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by lotstosay, Apr 15, 2010.

then link them back to the original site? ( I am creating a directory site with Daily News, Entertainment, Social Media etc. So say for e.g I grab an image from CNN, then I write a sentence about that particular image and then say "Read Full Article" which will be linked back to CNN. Is that legal?

lotstosay, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  2. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    no its not.
    You can NOT use images from any site without the permission of the site they are on.

lcwadminbj, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  3. kishor212

kishor212 Guest

Best Answers:
    ITs not just a Matter of Their permission..!

For each image you use.. they get notification... i mean they get trackback..!

So they can Do whatever they want.. if they just go and complain it to google... the next day.. your site wil be thrown to bin..!

kishor212, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  4. instant87

instant87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, you cannot take any image you want, that would be copyright infringement. Your best bet is to contact the website owner for permission.

instant87, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  5. palmerlarryray

palmerlarryray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Using the images like that is not legal. The reason it is a problem is twofold. First, you're using the work of someone else without their permission. Stealing. Second, when you hotlink to someones graphics, every time someone loads the image, they are using the other webmasters bandwidth which gets expensive. Many webmasters are employing code on their sites to eliminate the possibility of even doing this now. Most of the time, if you just ask, we are happy to share images with a suitable backlink to our sites though so please ask before you just use an image.

There is an exception to the hotlinking taboo. Most websites that offer an affiliate program will have a banner ad which they host from their own servers. They usually don't mind if you hotlink them.

I hope this helps clearing things up a bit.

palmerlarryray, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  6. Narrator

Narrator Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is not okay to use images without permission.

But what your describing could be done legally with RSS feeds. There are several news websites that offer RSS feeds with images, many of them allow you to display their feeds on your site.

This is from the CNN's RSS page:

Narrator, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  7. luckyv172

luckyv172 Peon

Best Answers:
    No . Its not allowed . You have to ask them before you can do that. But many download image and host them in their site . unless its a small site wont be problem i guess .

luckyv172, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  8. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    images on the net are now for public usage so i guess its okay unless these images are watermarked which you might need permission

etc, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  9. bobtully1

bobtully1 Peon

Best Answers:
    it will be better to contact the particular website's webmaster. I hope they will allow in most of the cases, because you are providing link to them.

You can consider the RSS option as well.

bobtully1, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  10. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Time you woke up and smelled the coffee. Your statement is complete and total garbage. If you do not know the rules then dont post in the legal section with BS like this.

lcwadminbj, Apr 20, 2010 IP
    mjewel likes this.
  11. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Damn! You beat me to it. I couldn't believe what I was reading either.

RonBrown, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  12. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Ron,

I am not a lawyer but I have been on the internet since 1998. and I have to say I still amazes me how many people think they can do just as they think fit, and say to hell with ethics and morals.

They think they are protected sitting anonimously behind their keyboards and screens.
    Just like the thugs and hooligans in the streets they will eventually be caught and have to pay the price.

lcwadminbj, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  13. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Peon

Best Answers:
    wtf ?!??

images do not even need the copyright sign, every i repeat EVERY image found on the net (or elsewhere) is protected by copyright with or without watermark/copyright sign!

flyingdutchmen, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  14. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think people had best read the fine print when they upload pictures to the internet. If you want copy write you had best buy it or implement code so people can not copy your images. Check out Google images. It states picture may be copy write protected. Not that it is. Using a watermark on your pictures will discourage most who want to copy them. I do no dot care how long you have been on the internet. Read the policies in place when you post pictures.

globegenius, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  15. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As everyone with sense has said, images belonging to a person or company are their property and no-one else has the right to use them as they see fit. Just because they are in the public arena for viewing it doesn't make them public property for anyone to use. Ownership is automatically granted to the person creating or taking the picture which includes their automatic copyright. There's no need to mark it "copyright" or watermark it to retain copyright.

You're suggestion that every copyright image should be watermarked is spurious. Watermarking an image degrades the quality of that image and you can't expect someone to place low or compromised quality images in their sites or portfolios to protect their copyright. The "Google" arguement doesn't hold water either because most people do not object to Google displaying their images: mostly because they rely upon Google to help maintain their visitor numbers. More importantly, you can easily stop Google indexing your images, and they will remove these images from display if requested.

I concede there are exceptions such as when you post an image to a site where the Terms of using that site means you forfeit your ownership or provide others with a perpetual licence to copy/use that image, but that isn't the kind of site the OP is talking about. He's talking about taking mages from another person or companys site without their explicit permission, and that is not legal in most countries.

RonBrown, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  16. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Peon

Best Answers:
    this is so wrong!
    have you even borthered to read the wikipedia on this subject?
    like i stated above THERE IS NO NEED FOR A COPYRIGHT SIGN,
    all images are protected with copyright with or without a sign.
    the only occasion in which you may be able to copy an image is wenn the website states something like ... all images on this page are free to use. if this is not the case it is a big NO

here (source:wikipedia):

Copyright notice is required in about 20 countries for a work to be protected under copyright.[41] Before 1989 all published works in the US had to contain a copyright notice, the (c) symbol followed by the publication date and copyright owner's name, to be protected by copyright. This is no longer the case and use of a copyright notice is now optional in the US, though they are still used.[42]
    In all countries that are members of the Berne Convention copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.

flyingdutchmen, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  17. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not take wikipedia as legal advice. I also do not believe everything I read. As stated you best read the policy rights when you upload a picture on a public domain. How do you think all those dating sites that resell get members photos to post from other sites? When you signed up you forfeited the rights to the photos. People never read the fine print in most cases. It is very personal using your picture and its legal what they do. I would consult a internet lawyer if you want cold hard facts. Not from members in a forum.

globegenius, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  18. AzzX

AzzX Peon

Best Answers:
    AzzX, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  19. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is a difference between putting a snipplet with a link to the article and use of an image you don't own - but a site may opt out of google news and google has also licensed the content from some of the larger sources (after they were sued). Google has also been sued, and lost in court, for use of low-res thumbnails in google images. If the OP wants to try and claim they are a legitimate news source and claim "fair use" then they should be prepared to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in court arguing it in the event the owner of the images doesn't agree with the usage.

mjewel, Apr 21, 2010 IP