1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What happens if I double-submit?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tintumon, Feb 27, 2010.

1. underpay

underpay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When I have looked at competitors websites backlinks, those listed on DMOZ are getting the most juice link from DMOZ. I definitely think it would be worth getting a listing there. Although I still haven't been listed.

underpay, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly for you we are not a listing service and we are not interested in any value that getting a listing might give to the site. But if your site is listable then reviews for a possible listing take from a few days to a few years.

Anonymously, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  3. s521545

s521545 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. I was just worrying about my site being considered as spam coz I have submitted more than once to DMOZ

s521545, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  4. biscayne

biscayne Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is the ODP, it's a human created directory,... it does not effect when u submitting in a twice... it's a First IN - First Out processs.....

biscayne, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is absolutely No "first iin-first out" involved. Suggestions merely go into a pool and although they have a date stamp on them, if they are reviewed it certainly would not be in chronological order.

To me, i look straight at the submitted title and description. If an attempt has been made to write a decent title and description, MINUS the stuffing and hype, it is more likely to attract my attention and be reviewed. Nice simple edit for a decent website, rather than sorting through the hugely hyped, spammy suggestions. Bear in mind that we source sites from many places, not only the suggestion pools.

snooks, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Aren't statements like this amazing! Where do people get this kind of nonsense? Its not even remotely close to being true!

Agent000, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  7. wm00.com

wm00.com Peon

Best Answers:
    that might be the reason.. I submitted my site many times..
    so its not listed

wm00.com, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Certainly not a wise move as the guidelines clealrly advise you to submit once, to the most appropriate category. Multiple submissions can certainly have you flagged as being a spammer, it significantly increases the work for volunteer editors and hinders everyone.

snooks, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    certainly? Are you certain they would not be looked at in order? I'm sure at least one editor looks at them in order, which would CERTAINLY make your certainly a false statement... right?

maybe probably would not be or even possibly would not be but certainly would not be? How can you say that for sure, unless there is some process that disallows such a thing. They are all placed in a suggestion pool, and each one is dated... so why can't the two go hand in hand?

what if there were only three suggestions and all of them fit within your preference...
    Is there even a remote possibility that you could check them in order, or would you certainly never do such a thing?

Qryztufre, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  10. Learners

Learners Peon

Best Answers:
    Your application might be considered spam so if you got the submission toold working and delivering your request you should better wait before trying again.

Learners, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mmmhhh......You must have a hard time reading plain English so i will confirm for you :)

My comment was

So what part of that are you unable to understand? I know you cant read fast so i'm typing very slowly for you :) When i said certainly, I actually meant certainly, not possibly, not probably.....but CERTAINLY.

Please advise, then i can provide further information and if it helps you, let me know and I will use smaller words so that you can understand them :)

snooks, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Interesting... so what you are saying is that editors can in no way shape or form check them in order? FASCINATING!

if they are reviewed it certainly would not be in chronological order.

That IS what that means ya know... that they WOULD NOT BE REVIEWED IN ORDER. No wonder you guys has a tiff when we were calling it a Queue... it's an ANTI-QUEUE! lol

Qryztufre, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like we have stated, it is not a queue, it is a suggestion pool. Sites are not reviewed in any specific order, it simply depends upon when a volunteer decides to visit the pool and what site attracts his or her attention.

snooks, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  14. hwebb

hwebb Peon

Best Answers:
    But isn't the default unreviewed listing chronological? If so, it would seem logical, as well as fair, to review the oldest suggestions first. If things were done this way, that would reinforce the argument that it is best not to submit more than once as subsequent suggestions would overwrite old ones sending them to the bottom of the "queue". If it's a pool, then it shouldn't matter if old suggestions are overwritten because they'll simply be in the pool equal to all the others. In other words, it shouldn't matter if suggestions have been overwritten a hundred times (contrary to the usual official advice) if only one submission in the end is left in the pool.

hwebb, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well now that I know it's not even possible to check them in order, I am sorry... but what strange coding that is? Why on earth did they make it so editors could never review sites in the order they came?

Qryztufre, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sometimes editors will go in deliberately to clear out or use very old suggestions. But at other times, and this is more true for me, I will see if submitters have bothered to read the guidelines and tried to write a correct guideline compliant description and title, if so I will review those sites. That seems more logical to me, why should I waste my time on the site if they can't be bothered to waste some of their time reading what will help editors?

Don't forget the results by list might be the same but the filters also spot multiple submissions as spam.

Anonymously, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  17. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    .... and that is why better than DMOZ directories use one line of code that check submission
    for duplicate domain and advise submitter that domain is already in database thus preserving
    and in the same time keeping the original order in which sites has been submitted intact.

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Better that they should read the guidelines, that way they also have an insight into
    how we want the suggestion titled and described
    why it may take a long time for a review
    that they won't have a reply either way
    Infact save many questions on here and a good deal of frustration in the web owning community.

Anonymously, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  19. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If people cannot read the guidelines and submit multiple times, they can face the consequences of their actions, which may be that they are flagged as spammers and their sites banned. People do not "accidently" submit multiple times :)

Regarding order, we do not care one bit about order....the suggestion pool is simply that, a suggestion pool of sites that may or may not be reviewed at some stage. We are not a listing service, nor do we guarantee inclusion of all sites.

snooks, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  20. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    @Anonymously @snooks

How dare you to blame people for submitting multiple times just because you script was developed by
    drunken sailor who forgot to add 1 simple function and your submission form tells them that their site
    will be added in 2 weeks?

You should be ashamed of yourselves

If you want to talk to me about Rules, then do it here
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1769908

:mad:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 28, 2010 IP