1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What else I need when setting up an e-commerce site?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by teohcl, Apr 14, 2010.

Im planning to setup an e-commerce site soon, I have domain name, site, payment gateway and what else I need to have? Other than that, can I using blog instead of normal website? What is the advantage and disadvantage if I don't go for website? Any idea? Thanks

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    teohcl, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  2. wwesley

wwesley Member

Best Answers:
    There is no disadvantage if you go for a blog over a website. Just make sure you are hosting your own blog. In fact wordpress blogs have some plugins that help you so certain things much easier and faster as compared to a normal website.

wwesley, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  3. edywen168

edywen168 Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that will depend on how you want your site to be. If you just wanna users to view your products and order manually, yes, you can use WP without having shopping chart. I am not sure if WP has shopping chart plug in.
    But if you want to add shopping chart, there are a lot of free software out there and I recommend using Zen Chart. It's free and widely used.
    Good luck with your project.
    edy./

edywen168, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  4. dan_matt

dan_matt Peon

Best Answers:
    Just read the e- commerce book and follow the instruction will get idea.

dan_matt, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  5. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    A good accountant is always a handy plus, together with some solid legal advice.

diggathedog, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  6. truz

truz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you plan on using a shopping cart or a plugin for wordpress to enable a shopping cart feature?

I highly recommend cs-cart (paid software) it's full of features and supports drop shipping.

You will need an SSL Cert so I would google "SSL Cert" and pickup a $12.99 godaddy cert from the sponsored links.

Make sure whatever shopping cart you use that your payment gateway is supported (authorize.net, paypal, ect..)

truz, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  7. osdude

osdude Peon

Best Answers:
    Seconded: a good accountant is a must in my book

osdude, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  8. peddu

peddu Peon

Best Answers:
    tep 1 - Get A Domain Name
    (web address) For Your Online Store

Your first step will be to get a domain name (web address). By having your domain name, you will establish your own identity on the Internet. This provides surfers with an address to your website. By typing in your domain name they are able to come to your online store.

Click Here to sign up for your domain name

Step 2 - Sign up with a Web Hosting Company
    to Host Your Online Store

You will want to sign up with a web hosting company (such as ours) so that you will have the ability to display your new online store on the internet and have the ability to use your domain name. Our web hosting company provides you with storage space on our servers for the products/catalog pages that you will create. WebBusiness provides hosting services as low as $3.95/month. Included with our Plan 1, is SiteBuilder. It is easy to use and has many store designs, templates and a page editor for you to build your site. SiteBuilder can be used to create business, personal and Eshop type websites.

Use Eshop to buiild your online ecommerce store in just a few hours.
    For more information about our web hosting services, please click on this link

Step 3 - Design Your Online Store

Create an online store that displays your products, describes them and indicates the cost, sizes, etc.
    Save money by creating your own Eshop web site. Eshop is a feature that comes with SiteBuilder and is free with your web hosting account(Plan 1). SiteBuilder requires no knowledge of html, you can create your eShop yourself. Make money selling your products online.

One should take the following into consideration when setting up your online store:

How many products do you wish to display and the type of products

Do you have pictures of products and the ability to scan them and a digital camera.

Prices of items and discounts.

The ability to input information on your products that may include: Item Number,Category, Product ID, Description, Price, Weight (for applicable for shipping rates)...

Don't forget to get your domain name first
    (Click Here for Domain Name Registration)

(Click Here to See Sample Sites)

Step 4- Accepting Credit Card Transactions
    via the Internet

Your online ecommerce store will need to provide a shopping cart for your customers so that they can place their orders.

What is a "Shopping Cart"? A shopping cart is the software that gives your clients the ability to place an order for your product(s). They can indicate what they want to buy, the quantity and color. It also calculates the price, shipping amount and any applicable taxes and provides them with payment options, i.e. credit cards, check or money order.

Eshop will allow you to input your products, upload images of your product and integrate with your Paypal account. By using Paypal you will be able to process credit cards, checks and payments.

Paypal provides merchants with an easy and fast way to create "Buy Now" buttons, process credit cards and/or use Paypal methods. The processing fees are low and the service is easy to set up with your store. Click on the banner below to visit their site and sign up for an account for your store.

Also, if you are already able to process credit cards in your retail business, you cannot assume that your current bank will allow you to accept internet orders. You need to talk to them first to see if they allow the processing of internet type orders.

Additional payment sytems that work with eShop are 2Checkout, WorldPay, Authorize.Net and BluePay.

Click Here for Information on our
    Web Site Hosting Prices and Ecommerce Web Hosting

Step 5 - Advertise Your Online Store

Once your site is online, you will need to let others know about it by advertising. You can use various media, i.e. newspapers, radio, tv, cable, flyers, etc. Also, it will be important to register your web site with search engine companies. Some of the popular search engine sites include Yahoo, Google, Bing and AOL; and exchange links with other sites. There are also PPC (Pay Per Click Programs) and Google Adsense.

Click on Banner to Set up Your Paypal Account

Peddu
    Hostcats.com

peddu, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  9. kishor212

kishor212 Guest

Best Answers:
    Be professional Buddy.. Get a Domain.. it doesnt costs much..!

Ecommerse site on blogs makes visitors think that the site owner is just playing with them..!

Go Get a domain yourself..!

kishor212, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  10. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    There are other areas of concern also.
    Look at your merchant account agreement fine print. You will find out that you can be fined up to $20,000,000 if you accept Credit cards and are not PCI compliant. https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/index.shtml
    This is an area they are cracking down on so be compliant.

Fraud prevention is a major concern also. Once your site starts to get known you will have daily attempts at fraud. F'n thieves are everywhere and some are fairly smart. Believe no one when they give you a sob story and anyone trying to rush you into processing their order deserves a closer investigation.
    Look up their IP, their address, etc and if you have any doubts whatsoever refuse the transaction and don't let the money rule your common sense. It is much cheaper to turn down a purchase than it is to pay for the product twice along with the chargeback fees. When it comes to dealing with people's information and money you can never be too safe.

Good luck!

HomeComputerGames, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  11. overskyhigh

overskyhigh Peon

Best Answers:
    If you prefer to setup an e-commerce online store, I recommend you using zen-cart. It's great as said before me.

overskyhigh, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  12. xiaoniou

xiaoniou Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This can take the dropship more popular, a Web site called achinaseller recommend this company to support dropship function

xiaoniou, Apr 24, 2010 IP