1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is Europe so racist?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Blogmaster, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Monty

Monty Peon

Best Answers:
    You compare US to Europe and you think Europe is more xenophobic than US.

Well, maybe, I don't know, I only went to NY and not long enough to be able to judge.

(BTW I'm french), but I think it's could be easier to be black or jew or whatever you like in Paris, Madrid, London (or NY) than in some part of southern US state. (but I repeat, I don't know those regions).

What I know (because I went to school) is that, for instance, not so long ago "segregation laws" were still in use in US. Long after racism was considered a crime in most european countries.

Even if your starting post is perfect for a "fight", I don't really want to be involved in such topic. What I want to say is : if you're right when you say US are not racist, and improved a lot this way, I'm glad to know that, really.

But please don't state that a "whole country" is "more racist" than another one. Everywhere there is suckers, you can't help it.
    What you can do, if you want, is trying to teach them not to be suckers.

I'm not sure such a post as yours will help things going better...

Monty, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  2. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Racism is a human condition and will eventually fade away as people get accustomed to growing up with people with different color skin and different cultures.

Segregation is what causes racism.

There are parts of Europe where people have never seen or spoke to a non-white person so you can't really blame them for exhibiting some behavior that may be seen as racist.

I'm sure America has its race problesm too, its just that its not seen by the average middle class white person.

ps. hopper, i live in Holmfirth.

mistermix, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Fair enough :) Don't get me wrong, racism in the US is far from gone. But the changes that have occured in the last century compared to the mindsets of so many Europeans is something that makes me wonder how much progress can be made. I believe that people are not born racists. But when you have old people make enough comments, it does influence the younger generation. And in central and northern Europe I have seen older people have a strong impact on the younger generations.

Blogmaster, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  4. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:

Nah, it was nothing too bad :rolleyes: But i end up spending to much time on these sort of threads! lol

Notting

Notting, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Britain is about to explode into a race and religious war, and anyone who can not see that is blind. Hopper, I can't speak for Huddersfield, but I can speak for what I am seeing with my own eyes on the streets, and getting feedback from many others via my forums.

People are sick to death of the way we are being taken for a ride with regard Asylum, and ignorantly they are lumping in legal immigration with asylum seekers. A clear case that raises race tensions is that of the hijackers.

For those who do not know, a group of Afghans hijacked a plane, flew it to Britain, held people hostage for 3 days, then when they were arrested, they claimed asylum! They were locked up, but claimed their human rights were being infringed. so they got legal aid to pay to sue Britain, AND WON.

The government then said they were dangerous so electronically tagged them. AGAIN they sued with legal aid, AND WON. The goverment tried to deport them. YEP, you got it. They sued and won the right to stay, oh and while they were at it they sued for money to live AND GOT IT.

So the war on terrorism is fine, unless you hijack a plane into the Uk and claim asylum, as then you get a nice flat in London and enough money to live there.

Am I bitter about this? YES you bet. I have lost friends in these wars, and to see scum like this walking the street hiding behind the very law they seek to bring down makes my blood boil, it also makes life harder and more dangerous for those decent people who live in the UK, as they get tarred by the same brush via ignorance. Most people are educated enough to NOT confuse all these issues, but there is a minority in these racist parties that are getting bigger and more powerful. These human rights laws have gone too far, and decent law abiding people are being put at risk because of it, be they legal immigrants, or British Nationals who have to live in the same communities.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 11, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is quite amazing how far the US has come in just over 200 years. I'm not sure where all the racism in other countries comes from, outside of the fact that most European countries were not originally founded or built by immigrants, but rather the people that were "born" there. The biggest difference, or advantage really that the US has is that fact that we are the big "melting pot". We are made up of just about everything under the sun when it comes to races, religions, etc...

I know my grandparents hated Sicilians for some reason... I mean really hated them. To this day I have no idea what that was about. I think the eventually these feellings will die with those that had them as new generations forget the old ways.

Anyway, I don't think your statements here are in any way off base. Certain people in certain European countries do have an aire about them. Their noses are held a bit too high. Not all... But those that do. It's pretty freaky.

Mia, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    true ... and it's tough to stay away once people start responding to your posts :)

8. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not racist.

Quite happy with the French.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Polish.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Hungarians.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Russians.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Germans.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Italians.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Americans.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Australians.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Belgiums.......in their own country
    Quite happy with the Spanish.......in their own country

etc...

Long live the queen!

(only light hearted - so don't be offended if I missed your country out!! :D )

Notting, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  9. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ...dont what you're talking about!:rolleyes:

Notting, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  10. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I just KNOW I shouldn't be posting in Politics and religion. You rarely if ever get balanced debate. :(

11. redz

redz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    been to poland? we do have hooligans, and skinheads, but hey, we had a black guy on our national team and we all liked him, heres a video ;)(Theirs always room for improvement and acceptance) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKC2iiuaXDo YOU WILL FIND HIM IN ONE OF THE GOALS.

Their are also many people on the airport from different countries, i saw asian, black, white, all in poland.

redz, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Your posts are great. It's good to see input like yours coming from a whole different angle. teaches me a lot.

13. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hear Hear! :)

Outside of the UK, the media generate a different picture, whilst British people are waiting on a list for 3/4 yrs to get a home, asylum seekers are getting housed within a short period of entering the Country. Part of the problem is that our Immigration laws are so slack, and people from Africa are rowing (yes rowing!) from Africa to the Canary Islands, then travelling through Europe to the UK.

I love travelling and meeting new people, and getting involved in their cultures, I'm not racist, but they are taking the piss when they think they can (well they can) get an easier life in the UK with handouts from the Goverment, which comes from our pockets in Income tax.

Hopper, I'm just up the road, in Leeds.

DarrenC, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  14. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    The crime they committed is seperate from their claim for asylum in the UK.

Are you saying the courts got it wrong and you know something that the jury wasnt told?

15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    That's almost as bad as the 9/11 hijackers getting their visas approved a year after the attacks.

16. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would leave the decision to a jury and a judge rather than having an opinion on something without actually knowing the facts of the situation.

17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    True, but can you see where people may be pissed off about criminals being allowed to immigrate into their countries?

18. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:

Did I post that? NO so am I saying that? NO :D

What the courts actually said to the government was. You need to change your laws to deal with scum like this, as these people are a serious danger to society. Sadly though British law is overruled by European law, so you are buggered. Apparently now the government are rushing through the new laws, and are going to risk getting sued by Europe.

It is interesting to see why you think the crime commited is separate from their asylum claim. WHY did they fly over the whole of mainland Eurpoe to land in the UK? WHY did they hold these people hostage for 3 days, and ONLY claim Asylum AFTER they were stormed. WHY if they were genuine asylum seekers did they originally ask for the plane to be refuelled? These are dangerous people, and what we SHOULD have done was shot them on sight. They could then have a nice funeral with all the human rights they deserved!

Can you honestly tell me hand on heart that teorrist hijackers deserve to wlak the streets? If yes, then things have changed in the country in which I live ;)

19. ideas_man

ideas_man Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with both of you.

I think people resent the fact that people can freely move to this country with the only aim of being looked after by the tax-payer.I don't know why, but the government does have a tendency to look after the idle and screw the hard working....regardless of race.

I also think that the government fears to be called racist itself and bends over backwards to please ethnic minorities.

Here's a true life example that happened just outside London in my relative's school...

------
    An young Indian girl was in school having recently moved from India and her English was very poor. Some other students were having trouble learning some of the work because of inadequate staffing. When parents suggested that they should hire another teacher so that the students could receive more tuition on the troublesome subject, the school said that they didn't have the funds.

When the school broke up for the summer, the young Indian girl flew back to India and to help her learn english over the summer in preparation for the new school year....they flew an english teacher out to India to spend the summer with her...all expenses paid.
    ------

In Britain we call it "positive discrimination".Now, how is any discrimination positive?Things like this do spark rows and I think rightfully so. On the one hand you have people banging on about equality, yet ethnic groups do seem to be the government's priority.I think people resent this more than the colour of a person's skin or the religion they subscribe to.

If you want to change people's perceptions and make people realise that we are equals... surely we all need to be treated equally.Lead by example.

But that's just my 2 cents....I mean pence :D

ideas_man, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  20. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Criminals aren't generally allowed to immigrate. Unless they are a criminal that hasnt been prosecuted. The full story is alot more complex than what has been posted here so far.

I believe in the rule of the law. Justice that doesn't involve shooting people on site.

I don't know the details of the court cases (neither do you) so I can't really express an opinion on what should have been done.

If they were found guilty of hijacking the plane then deportation or imprisonment would have been the only options. I remember this story and think you might have confused some of the facts, can you post a link to the full story?