1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think of HTML5?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by cnzjgxg, Apr 11, 2010.

What do you think of HTML5?
    What's the time of HTML5 will be popular?
    Do you think of HTML5 can Substitute Adobe Flash?
    Do you think of HTML5 in W3C?

cnzjgxg, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  2. Oceanus

Oceanus Member

Best Answers:
    I think it will be way more popular at the end of the year.

Oceanus, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I hate a LOT of it... I even blogged about this case of nerd rage. (which I blog maybe once every six months normally)
    http://my.opera.com/deathshadow/blog/2010/01/09/why-i-hate-html5

They added more tags undoing all the progress STRICT has made with web development, forgotten the original INTENT of STRICT, and in general the whole project seems to have been hijacked by people who want to take us back to 1990's browser war style coding. The new "semantic" tags appear to be the exact opposite, and if anything are PRESENTATIONAL in nature, they've overcomplicated a great many things we were SUPPOSED to be having simplified down, and thanks to all the new crap that the majority of Internet users will not be able to use (IE), I don't see it being practical to deploy for a production website until sometime around 2025.

Of course, the free***'s will automatically start ranting "OH, IE use is going down - it will be irrelevant in just a few years". We call these people idiot fanboys for a reason since they usually lack enough brain power to comprehend the statistics they use to support their position; See, there's a problem in looking at IE's declining "share"; 90% of 1 billion is less than 54% of 2 billion. In fact over the past five years the number of people using IE has gone up by over 300 million - despite the 'loss' of market share... Meaning they haven't "LOST" a damned thing.

Which means we will likely have to support IE8 just as long as we have had to continue supporting IE6, possibly LONGER since we really have to keep supporting IE6 if you give a damned about 300-400 million internet users, almost a full fifth.

The changes made to HTML5 the past four years from it's original intent are nothing short of disgusting - and I want no part of it.

deathshadow, Apr 11, 2010 IP
  4. etoners

etoners Peon

Best Answers:
    According to me HTML5 is the next major revision of HTML and It is currently still a draft but expected in 2012.

etoners, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  5. zerophean

zerophean Peon

Best Answers:
    HTML5 is awesome, I think not all browsers support that.

Chrome, IE9, Opera 10, and mozilla 3.6 was support HTML5, but others browser like linux browser was not supported.

zerophean, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  6. Mentalhead

Mentalhead Active Member

Best Answers:
    HTML 5 might be awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of it ( I hate learning new tags and such).
    Anyway it won't become a standard until 2020.

Mentalhead, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You would have said the same thing about IE4. The fact remains, IE is a dying product and the number of NEW internet users is increasing but FEWER of them are using IE, a fact you seem unwilling to realize. While you state, correctly, there are more IE users, you ignore there are more users of other browsers also. You also ignore what I just said, that more of the new users are NOT CHOOSING IE as their browser.
    Another incorrect assumption on your part. You can't go on pretending these IE6 users are the every day user. Who uses IE6 beyond those who use older software that won't work with anything else? Probably large corporate users who, even then, may use newer browsers for outside access*.

That brings up another point. Are you willing to restrict functionality of your web site for IE users, specifically IE6 users? Many people still claim it's necessary to take into account those who surf with javascript and CSS turned off but don't consider the fact that such people are aware of the problems of doing so. They know how to turn it back on just as easily but are you willing to spend the time/money to restrict functionality for such visitors? I just now looked and was surprised to see my restaurant site does get 5% IE6 visitors yet has never had any calls about problems with access or functionality.
    I think the whole working group needs a supervising adult. It's interesting to see the only serious problems seem to come from Adobe and Microsoft either fighting issues already decided upon or raising issues only they have problems with. It took Tim Berners-Lee himself to resolve the last one with Adobe which quickly decided it was what they wanted all along. Microsoft shows up years late to the game then files a long list of objections to what had gone on while they were sleeping.

*I do know that one of my restaurants largest customers is across the street from the biggest stock brokerage in the country and they do not use IE6 to visit that site.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    CSS 2.1 only became finalized two years ago. Would you have waited till then to use it?

Standards are based on usage. Nothing will be in the final HTML5 document that is not implemented in at least two browsers.

9. NickM

NickM Peon

Best Answers:
    HTML5 will take a big amount of Adobe Flash market and I think it'll become popular as soon as Microsoft lunches IE9 with full support of CSS3 and HTML5

NickM, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Then it won't happen. IE9 will NOT have full support for either and will be far behind all the others in such support.

11. GreenT

GreenT Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish Microsoft would just base IE on WebKit, help funding Chromium or Firefox and just stop developing "browsers". That would save us some headaches...

Apart from that... the latest HTML5 and CSS3 - although certainly not comprehensive or perfect - will take the web into the right direction. There's always some downsides to every standard they've developed so far... but I believe there's more great ideas in this package than bad ones. Let's see what remains of that when it's released... and hope that browsers will support the full range or at least most of it as soon as possible.

GreenT, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  12. DOCtriN

DOCtriN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    HTML5 + CSS3 is amazing. There's a lot of new syntax that can improve your site flexibility.

DOCtriN, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, your hatred is so rabid you can't even accept that they are finally changing all that? Spoken like someone who hasn't tried the current tech preview release.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

Hell, the current tech demos runs faster and smoother in IE 9 Tech Preview than any other browser out there, including chrome.

In a lot of ways HTML5 could get IE back into the game - they can use the HTML5 "lip service" doctype as a TRUE standards compliance trigger just as they did tried with IE6 and the box model (which for the most part worked) so that it gives them a 'clean break' between legacy site support and modern standards.

Wow, did I just come up with a legitimate reason to use HTML5?

deathshadow, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  14. ajinkyax

ajinkyax Peon

Best Answers:
    let 1st users need to understand abt CSS3, then move ahed.

ajinkyax, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    No. My knowledge is so much that I realize that they will NOT change all that.
    You mean spoken by someone who doesn't just look at their demo release and, instead, reads what it cannot do. I'm not dazzled by the flashy, blinking lights.
    The current tech demo runs what Microsoft wants you to see very well. Unfortunately, Microsoft won't show you what it cannot and will not run.
    This is not new. IE8 does that.
    Incorrectly but it worked...yeah.
    Microsoft already states there will be no such thing.
    IE9 is no reason to use HTML5. It will continue to be the worst browser on the planet when it's release....sometime next year. It's hilarious how people rave about IE9 yet its features were available in every other browser years ago.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    drhowarddrfine, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  17. mrpaisa

mrpaisa Guest

Best Answers:
    Its much better than HTML.

mrpaisa, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    HTML5 is HTML so your statement doesn't make sense.

drhowarddrfine, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  19. Oceanus

Oceanus Member

Best Answers:
    I like the video functionality. It makes a lot a lot easier. Should allow for faster site builds.

Oceanus, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  20. devabby

devabby Peon

Best Answers:
    Html 5 sure will become popular coz it save designer and developer time, but i dont think it will fully substitute flash

devabby, Apr 17, 2010 IP