1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[Experienced Webmaster + Newbie Forum Admin] Starting a forum and need some advice.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by arpitagarwal82, Apr 16, 2010.

I am an experienced webmaster, but never been a forum admin. I am planning to start a new forum with my friend and did some extensive research about the same. Now I have a broad idea of things but bit confused over few points.

1) I am very sure that vbulletin is the best choice of forum software so I will go with it. But should I use vb 4 or vb3.x?
    I am not a great coder, and as per Shawn's suggestion 3.8.5 is good option for ppl like me

2) What about VBSeo? Should I go for it?

3) When I buy vbulletin license, say vb4, will I be able to download and use vb 3.x versions? (I know its utterly noob question :D)

4) Any other suggestions and advice or precautions before starting a forum? Especially regarding SEO and mistakes which can't be (easily) rectified later.

EDIT: One more question. About hosting. Will my hostgator shared account be able to host my forum, or should I go for dedicated resource.

arpitagarwal82, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  2. rockinaway

rockinaway Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, the best thing to do is to download both versions so that you can have a play around with them. I personally am still running vb3, as I am not ready to update to vB4. However, one thing you must consider is that although it may be easier to use vb3 at the moment, there will come a point where you must upgrade to vB4 and this will mean ensuring your modifications work and you can get a good style. When you consider this, you may want to just start off with vB4 so that you save yourself from the mess later.

As for vBSEO; again it's up to you. Many forum admins have had great success with vBSEO and forum optimisation and I must admit, it does handle a lot of key issues. However, there are a number of free modfications which you can download to do similar jobs etc. Take a look at this forum - it's a huge forum but there URLs haven't been rewritten. It really depends on if you can afford to get it (after all it is a substantial payment on top of your vBulletin license).

There are a whole number of issues that can occur and a lot of needs to be considered; you will have to be more specific wth which aspects. One key rule though, that I will state, is Content is King! Make sure you have plenty of content every day so that members have new things to read. I wrote an article on my forum a while back, which is lengthy but covers A LOT regarding forums: The A-Z of Forum Construction

Finally, there is no issue whatsoever with using your shared account. Maybe once your forum is rather large etc then you might think of getting a dedicated server, but to start off with, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you want further help, feel free to ask here, or for more specific help you can ask at my forum.

rockinaway, Apr 17, 2010 IP
    arpitagarwal82 likes this.
  3. HellBomb

HellBomb Active Member

Best Answers:
    as a long time user of vBulletin I would say go for it.

** I would say that vb3.8 is better then vb4 and will stay that way for a long time because their is not as many mods/support for vb4 yet **
    ** Yes it helps so much and can even help reduce website page load times by a lot along with massive increases in SEO **

** Yes you can **

** vBulletin is quite good about making everything fixable so nothing you can do will permanently mess up your forum. **

** I am not sure how good host gator servers are but I know the current host I am using working very well on a shared plan. Once you get about 100 users or more on at a single time you will need to upgrade to a better server **

PM me if you have any further questions :)

HellBomb, Apr 18, 2010 IP
    arpitagarwal82 likes this.