1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Links Don't Give Pagerank

Discussion in 'Google' started by Mehungwaylo, Apr 12, 2010.

For the past few months I kept track of an article I wrote on Hubpages. This is the story of what happened...

1. I chose an amazon product I wanted to target the keywords. I wrote an optimized article that made the front page for the product even past being newsworthy...
    2. After the article stayed on the front page for a 100,000+ a month keyword I checked it daily.
    3. The article was ended up giving a rank of 3 during the last update.

There hasn't been a single link to that page and all my other articles ( 60 ) don't have any pagerank.

What I think Google does with pagerank sometimes is justify it's search results with a pagerank. Example, if it's an honest, optimized article that google likes and it feel it should be on the front page. Google will give it the pagerank that will keep it there.

Mehungwaylo, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  2. Stryder

Stryder Guest

Best Answers:
    When you say "There hasn't been a single link to that page", are you expecting the links to come up automatically?
    Have all your other 60 articles been linked from high PR pages? If not, then they can't be expected to have any PR. And even if they have links, it is only part of the way page rank is given to any page.

Stryder, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  3. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think that article page got PR3 without a single links into it. Since that page has been published under Hubpages then it is possible for gained PR3 because of the root domain power. I bet if those article has been published under our common websites then it would not have any PR. Because most of our common websites has no trust and authoritative status enough from Google perspective.

Sxperm, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  4. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That only happens because it is under a main domain (hubpages). Similar are the pages of the profile pages of Facebook, youtube and blogcatalog.

China_girl, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  5. Stryder

Stryder Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not just because of the root domain. When you publish on hubpages (or most similar sites) you get backlinks from 'similar' hubs or articles. That is where the page rank of the page comes from.

Stryder, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  6. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I think Google PR also gives good weight on the content and not just on it's backinks. The content also shows how important the page is...

WishBone, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  7. Bompa

Bompa Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Stryder and Sxperm.

@Mehungwaylo

Have you checked the page for backlinks with yahoo explorer?

Bompa

Bompa, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  8. babeh_orayz

babeh_orayz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah.. I agree with that cause hubpages is self got PR 6
    maybe that the reason why your article in hubpages got PR 3

babeh_orayz, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  9. abuzar345

abuzar345 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree with above comments as hub pages really got high PR consequently your article also got high PR due to root domain. Because increasing PR dramatically do not prevails for long time.

abuzar345, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  10. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think people need to stop focusing on PR.

larysmith711, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  11. imassassins

imassassins Guest

Best Answers:
    PR ISNT THAT IMPORTANT

And links can give you pagerank, but the source of the link determines how much PR it gives so make sure you check where your link is.

imassassins, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  12. weng

weng Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many factors that Google uses in deciding how much PR will be given to a page. The quality of the content is one of the and that is what I think happened to your page.

weng, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  13. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    If it was on Hubpages there will be lot of back links ... just because you can not find them does not mean they don't exist :)

links from your Hubpages profile, similar articles on other pages, their "topics" pages, their "hubs" pages etc etc.
    Chances are your page was listed on one of those pages when google crawled the page and used that to base your PR from at update time.

NO way can you say it did not have any links

Please refrain from making ill informed statements like "Links Don't Give PageRank" as it only confuses newbies who don't know better and come here to try to lean things.

vagrant, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  14. aaronr

aaronr Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is just my advice from years of chasing pagerank. Stop worrying about it and keep doing what you're doing. If what you're doing isn't working, stop wasting your time and do something else.

Pagerank is not even close to being an exact science. A lot of people get pagerank without working on their sites at all, and others get no pagerank after tirelessly working on their sites.

I've seen plenty of guys getting PR1 sites into the top 5 SERPS, and I've seen others literally build tens of thousands of backlinks and barely ever achieve PR2.

Once you learn to quit worshipping pagerank, your internet marketing life will be a lot easier. :)

aaronr, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  15. 365171383

365171383 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with wen. The content and not just on it's backinks that Google PR also choose to decide on

365171383, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  16. Mehungwaylo

Mehungwaylo Peon

Best Answers:
    OKAY! Obviously I gave you guys credit and thought you would assume I meant external links.

Now, your theories would be correct except YOUR WRONG 30 times before your right once. If you know the link structure on hubpages then you will know most pages have the same amount of links. However, a link is never in the same place twice except on my profile page ( Which is pagerank 0 ).

FROM WHAT I WITNESSED it was actually pretty amazing, I wrote an article which was optimized for the keywords and it was put on the front page then stayed there. Then suddenly I had a pagerank of three....

Consider it A Hypothesis and please refrain from posting narcisistic suggestions when you really shouldn't be talking.

Also, Yes I did check Yahoo Explorer.

You guys can verify also, keywords "The Game Of Things" it's around seventh.

Mehungwaylo, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  17. Mehungwaylo

Mehungwaylo Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I said thanks for noticing.

18. Mehungwaylo

Mehungwaylo Peon

Best Answers:
    Making assumptions makes you look like a prick. I never said I cared about pagerank it was an observation that arised when I was curious as to why I just wrote an article and it was treated the way it was by google.

19. Mehungwaylo

Mehungwaylo Peon

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't know what quality is.... It can write this FUNNY MONKEY JUNGLE FUNNY and it doesn't know that people won't understand it.... What happened was I optimized the page perfectly to google standards.

20. Mehungwaylo

Mehungwaylo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should stop thinking. It was an observation I posted for everyone and obviously your a presumptious person.