1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Redireting a .com to a .co.uk?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MattUK, Apr 8, 2005.

I currently have a .com domain that is ranking very well in the .com Google SERPS. The domain is primarily UK based though and not ranking as well in the local search. If I buy the .co.uk version of the domain and redirect there will I see an increase in rankings in the local search and will it be at the expense of the .com results?

MattUK, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HI matt, if your not appearing in the uk only searches it is probably down to your hosting. Do a check on the physical location, and if it shows up as anywhere other than uk then move the com PDQ.

I suggest you use the physical locator on this site (digital Point). Then regardless of what your hosting company says this tool is right. Many companies think that the physical location is wherever the server is physically located, WRONG! The physical location is the place where the IP finally resolves, and this is often Germany or the USA with a couple of the big so called UK hosting companies.

Old Welsh Guy, Apr 8, 2005 IP
    MattUK likes this.
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help OWG, from you're saying that if I move the .com to a UK host then it'll show in the google.co.uk index? Is this correct?

I was under the impression that a .co.uk would over-ride where the hosting was located, ie. if a .co.uk was hosted in Australia then it would still show in the UK SERPS. I have been told that the location of the server was important, but does this overide the TLD?

MattUK, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  4. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have any other thoughs on this? In particular I'm looking to get a definitive answer on this.

>>If I buy the .co.uk version of the domain and redirect there will I see an increase in rankings in the local search and will it be at the expense of the .com results?

MattUK, Apr 11, 2005 IP