1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Maguma Workbench PHP IDE

Discussion in 'PHP' started by T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005.

I'm about to buy Maguma's Workbench.

http://www.maguma.com/?id=5

I like it because of the direct on-server editing and file browsing. It's also modular so you can make extensions yourself or buy them (20 Euros a piece-ish).

I've looked into all the free ones like PHPedit, PHP Coder Pro etc. This is the only one I like. Nice and clean interface (unlike some with like 8 different panes), fast and stable (PHP Coder Pro gicing me hassle after a few hours coding).

Just wanted to see if anyone had used this before since they seem relatively unknown.

The entire package I'm after is 119 Euros and would save us quite a bit of pissing about between FTP clients, explorer browsers and IDE's.

Any feedback on this? Know of another IDE with direct FTP file editing access functionality?

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  2. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I read someone's review on it a while ago and they were not impressed with it, I'll try and find it and post the link.

PS - Good luck with the affiliate link

l234244, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  3. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    TOPS30: Maguma is okay IMHO, but, I personally prefer Zend Studio, it's much easier to use and the GUI is not as confusing as Maguma. Don't get me wrong, Maguma is a great program, but, for my money I prefer Zend. Zend however is a bit pricy, so, if your looking for a lower price and your comfortable with Maguma, I say go for it :)

palespyder, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Thanks but it isn't. It's a link I copied from their internal navigation structure. I would've made more of an effort hiding if I were to gain from it.

Thanks Palespyder, I'll have a look at it. That's one I haven't looked at yet.

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  5. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you do purchase it TOPs make sure you give us feedback on it :)

l234244, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  6. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    TOPS, you might also have a go at PHP Designer 2005, it's a free IDE, cannot remember if it has FTP capability, but, the guy is always releasing new versions and his forums are full of ideas he plans to implement. The site is at http://www.mpsoftware.dk/ and for what I have seen, it's a great free program.

7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Tried that and lacks the FTP abilities I want.

Zend seems good but would need the Pro version for the FTP functionality but the rest seems overkill. Looks liek that's more for people running their own Apache server etc. However, the direct MySQL connection, does that mean it can do what PHPMyAdmin does?

The screenshots of Zend show me what I don't want. Dreamweaver like filled pages with a hundred tools and panes. But I guess you can close those.

l234244: I have been using the trial Studio for a week now and like it a lot.

The only other one with good direct FTP support is TOP something, TOP Design ? from some Turksih team of developers but that shat itself after 3 minutes with loads of windows errors.

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  8. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    Yes and no, it is actually kind of cool, it will let you edit and add tables and such, I am making a screenshot and will post it for you.

9. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O likes this.
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

I just rang them in the States but the support guy had never heard of PHPMyAdmin. Makes me wonder how good the support is... I mean who working with PHP & MySQL has never heard of PHPMyAdmin?!!

If it does have the functionality of adding, deleting, emptying, dropping, optimizing, altering, entering data etc. then it's a whole different sory. I might be willing to go Zend Pro then. Or is it all command line SQL after you set the connection?

I may just have to download the trial and have a play over the weekend...

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Nice, cheers! So can you then click an entry and edit it on the fly?

Can you do without PHPMyAdmin when you have Zend Studio?

I'd basically like to develop everything on the remote server without having to install PHP and MySQL locally. With SFTP it should be secure enough and with fast broadband it's almost as fast as writing a file locally so to avoid PHP version differences etc. I'd like to develop 'live' in my online dev shed.

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  12. redking

redking Member

Best Answers:
    I know you said you want to develop online, but have you looked at Eclipse? It's a Java based IDE that was open sourced by IBM and you can add modules to it including PHP for development. Its very configurable but there is a steep learning curve. However once you start using Eclipse you can use it for Java, C/C++, ASP...anything that there are modules for. For Eclipse to work as a PHP editor, you have to install PHP/MySQL locally.

Just wanted to let you know about it in case you haven't heard of it.

redking, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Never heard of Eclipse but I'd like to stay away from local development because it's a team effort and I don't want stand alone, segregated efforts on each developer's machine.

I won't have a need for any other languages anywhere soon either.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I've bookmarked it for future perusal.

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  14. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    TOPS, it appears to me that yes you could do without myAdmin completely. As far as FTP, one of the beauties of Zend is that you can add a remote folder to a project and work it just as if it was local. I don't do anything locally, everything on both my work and home machines are remotely done.

15. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That's great news palespyder. I'll delay my decision for a few days and give the Zend trial a go. $299 vs E119 might be worth the jump.

T0PS3O, Apr 8, 2005 IP