1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Blog Commenting Good for Rankings?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by digitalkev, Apr 8, 2010.

Hi all.
    I've done some basic SEO to my page, waited for it to be indexed, wrote some articles and posted them, and now I'm doing blog commenting on some PR2, PR3, and PR4 blogs....

The thing is that these blogs I'm posting on are blogs that for some reason, the moderator fell asleep on... i mean, they are not moderated. The information they give is good, though they are not related to my niche.
    And also, a whole bunch of spammers are also posting there... the comments they give are very general, like: "Great post.. very good information".

So, is posting on these PR2+ blogs good for SEO?

Thanks,

digitalkev, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  2. alliwant

alliwant Peon

Best Answers:
    it's not gonna hurt, but it's also not gonna do toooo much good. Especially if they're nofollow then you're only gonna get anchor text relevance trickle through. (or if you believe google's info no help at all)

People will tell you that you can lose ranking for leaving comments on these spammed blogs. That's 100% wrong, I have data to prove it. In fact it will help you but not much.

You're gonna get more return with article marketing. Comments are devalued because of spammers. Make sure your links get found automatically by google as well. Don't force the issue.

alliwant, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  3. digitalkev

digitalkev Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply and information. The blogs I'm commenting on are all Dofollow. I have installed the firefox plugin that verifies links.

digitalkev, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  4. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've noticed that if you can get a Top Commentator website with high PR, and get listed consistently, Yahoo! will rank you pretty well. Google on the other hand doesn't think much of these links.
    The only problem with getting a sitewide link is that Yahoo! Site Explorer gets flooded with that single domain- making it hard to see where else you're getting links.

zac439, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  5. Boomachucka

Boomachucka Member

Best Answers:
    Depends where you go. .edu blogs always get preference from google, they have mad link juice. If you comment spam a country though, you'll end up with lots and lots of backlinks and a mediocre PR score anyway. I'd recommend building a backlink funnel, that is- crappy sites that collect visitors that link up to a semi-decent site that link up to your money site. Much more effective.

Boomachucka, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  6. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You didn't cite your sources.
    Look at this: http://www.stephanspencer.com/search-engines/matt-cutts-interview

Read it all and decide if .edu domains really have "preference." :)

zac439, Apr 8, 2010 IP
    digitalkev likes this.
  7. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is. I would recommend these for maximum output on blog commenting

1. Only useful related to topic comment and no spam
    2. Focus on relevancy and cached page status. Ignore PR for both homepage and inner pages.
    3. Avoid using anchor text as most of comments with anchor text will be looking suspicious by blog moderators. They are likely not being approved
    4. Avoid given url in the comment. Most of them will be filtered automatically by spam protection system such as Akismet
    5. Even some blog has marked all comment link back as "nofollow" but it is still worthly enough to do a comment if that post is really relevant. Google would still crawl on those link with or without nofollow attribute attached, just not leak on PR and link power.

Sxperm, Apr 8, 2010 IP
  8. seolinks99@gmail.com

seolinks99@gmail.com Peon

Best Answers:
    @Boomachucka @Sxperm thanks for sharing. Your posts are really very informative.

seolinks99@gmail.com, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  9. digitalkev

digitalkev Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for the comments. Zac, thanks for that resource,

digitalkev, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  10. cellgsm

cellgsm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are many tools called search engine friendly blog commenting software. Blog comments, when relevant, can help greatly with your sites search engine optimization.

cellgsm, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  11. devseo

devseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes with the help of blog comments you can find a good back link.

devseo, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  12. advertise

advertise Peon

Best Answers:
    digitalkev, You know I do not get tired of saying it but people worry too much about PR, and you noticed yourself how these blogs apparently are not being maintained by their moderators. Although linking to high PR sites CAN be beneficial, considering all that you have said about these blogs would not even make your link there there be worth much. Remember that high quality content is also essential in order for your links to be taken into consideration by Google crawlers. Not to mention that site relevance is also important. If I were you I would not even bother, concentrate on quality over quantity, QUALITY blogs that are being moderated, quality forums and of course writing quality content articles.

advertise, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  13. faraz_pcc

faraz_pcc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Quality content writing helps a lot but it takes time to do so. Finding relevant blog posts is good way to attract customers. Well if you ask me i dont prefer commenting on moderated blogs some blogs owner do not see their sites for months, commenting on auto approve site is a better idea.If you are commenting Flooding the blogs with links is not a idea. I have done some blog commenting for my clients recently and had achieved very good results.

faraz_pcc, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  14. cellgsm

cellgsm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In deed, content is king, write good and quality content and others will mention you and give you backlinks for free. Also when you post comments on blogs, try to be relevant in order to keep your post. It is also recommended to post on blogs that are niche related.

cellgsm, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  15. ContentArticleWriter

ContentArticleWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I too agree that commenting on blogs is beneficial as long as the blog is kept up to date. YET I disagree with what you say about commenting on auto approving sites. There is a very big disadvantage to auto approved blogs which refers back to what digitalkev is worried about, "Spammy comments". If the blog is auto approved it is more likely to be full of "Thanks... Great post" types of comments, which not only do not add valuable and quality content to the blog, but DEVALUE what ever important information it MAY have.

ContentArticleWriter, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  16. openmindz

openmindz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Edu blog comments will help you tremendously but you have to make the comments meaningful. If you even get a few to stick per day you're going to see upward movement on your sites. Don't ever pay for such a tool though. Use a free .edu blog finder like http://www.edublogfinder.com

openmindz, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  17. rainier

rainier Peon

Best Answers:
    blog commenting is good in driving traffic to your site plus it adds credibility but make sure you posted only to relevant niche or related sites.

rainier, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  18. ebrahim3enab

ebrahim3enab Peon

Best Answers:
    thank's very much , great information !

ebrahim3enab, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  19. mlastimoso14

mlastimoso14 Peon

Best Answers:
    BLog comment can give you backlinks if it is dofollow and traffic as well. But more of blogs now are comment moderated.

mlastimoso14, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  20. D79312

D79312 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, commenting is good for search engine rankings. You must make sure that they are "do follow" links so that PR passes through. "no follow" links only pass visitors and no PR just FYI.

D79312, Apr 13, 2010 IP