1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any point in Different IP Addresses if Same Whois Info?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jj1, Apr 9, 2010.

I keep reading that you should put sites on different class c IP addresses if you want to do any cross linking.

However, if the whois registrant is the same, is there any point in doing this? I mean, won't the search engines just think "same registrant / same owner" and so devalue the backlinks anyway????

jj1, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  2. Dave 2012

Dave 2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are using private whois on every site anyway it won't make a difference. I'm not even sure Google takes whois info into account in its algorithm.

Dave 2012, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  3. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As a registrar, Google certainly has access to whois, and their algorithm patent specifically mentions using whois to determine common ownership. Aaron Wall believes they may factor in other types of data - such as all sites linking having the same registrar, all have private whois, etc. I would certainly use privacy if I wanted to try and make google think the sites don't share common ownership. Google stores vasts amount of information - so that brings up the question of whether or not that keep historical whois data and whether adding privacy AFTER would work and there really isn't anyway to know.

mjewel, Apr 9, 2010 IP
    zexy likes this.
  4. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Can anyone explain what happens if you use WHOIS protection service, please?
    In that case Google's bot won't be able to determine common ownership right?

zexy, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Privacy Protection hides your contact information, so if you buy it when you first register/transfer the domain into your name, they would not be able to see who actually owns it. If you add it after the domain has already been in your name, it's possible they could use historical data to determine common ownership. Unless the sites are hosted on different class c IP's, Google assumes common ownership regardless of the whois information. If you are running the same adsense account on both domains, then it would be pointless.

mjewel, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  6. jj1

jj1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The person who registered the website is still viewable however.

jj1, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, not if you use privacy protection when you register it.

mjewel, Apr 9, 2010 IP
  8. Dave 2012

Dave 2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. Even though Google may be a registrar themselves, they cannot get around Whois Privacy anymore than you or I can, unless as the poster above said - that they use historical whois data from before it had privacy enabled on it.

Dave 2012, Apr 10, 2010 IP
  9. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it won't matter a lot.

wildogre, Apr 10, 2010 IP