1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

An alternative to Obamacare, starting with advice from Whole Foods

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Reseg, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    - ....do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Sovereignty for individual states is explicitly denied in our constitution - Corwin must be referring to states rights which are described but limited and are precluded by the duly elected gon't of the United States of America.

- And, if you don't like the laws of your State, you are free to move to another State, like I did.

Love it or leave it but needing to move is not in the cards.....again.

Breeze Wood, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    BW, you really need to study and understand the concept of enumerated powers and the 9th and 10th Amendments:

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The American people just got ass raped, again. But, it seems not to bother them. We get the government we deserve, so it's all good.

I'm going to queue The Talking Heads Burning Down The House and read some Gibbon.

Will.Spencer, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  3. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    Are those the ones the loyalist believe vindicate their holy king of England?

Breeze Wood, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  4. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BW, sorry, but you are wrong. See below.

What is at issue here, today, with the Obama administration, is the above two amendments.

Except for certain departments like Social Security and the SBA, the Federal Government is only equipped to deal with the States.

Back when Bill Clinton was President, Louisiana reached a corruption height so big that the New Orleans police force was in the business of murder for hire. No exaggeration.

President Clinton wanted to send in the FBI to take over that police force. But according to the U.S. Constitution, and according to his lawyers at the Justice Department, he did not have the authority to do that because it would violate state sovereignty. Despite the fact that Louisiana was completely run by Democrats, they refused to let Clinton in.

Fast-forward to the state debacle that was Katrina. The state initially resisted permitting President Bush to send in troops to help with disaster relief because the Democratic governor would rather let her own citizens die, than let Washington see how corrupt the state was. Bush was not permitted to send Federal troops into Louisiana to help until a formal request was made and it took three days of phone call to convince Louisiana politicians of that.

Now, I forget the exact figure, but months later, of the tens of millions of dollars that were initially sent from Washington to Louisiana to help with the disaster, about 1/3rd of the millions went "missing". To cover up the graft, Louisiana politicians initiated an expensive P.R. campaign to pressure Bush to give them even more money so that they could steal that, too.

The Federal government was forced to attempt to give the money directly to the citizens of Louisiana. But the convoluted bureaucracy of the Fed and the morass of Federal paperwork was geared for State bureaucrats and not private citizens. As a result, almost no one in New Orleans was able to follow the procedures and correctly fill out the federal paperwork to directly obtain federal funds.

State Sovereignty is a double-edged sword.

Corwin, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    As Thomas Jefferson wrote, "The way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly the functions he is competent to. Let the national government be entrusted with the defense of the nation, and its foreign and federal relations; the State governments with the civil rights, law, police, and administration of what concerns the State generally; the counties with the local concerns of the counties, and each ward direct the interests within itself. It is by dividing and subdividing these republics from the great national one down through all its subordinations, until it ends in the administration of every man’s farm by himself; by placing under every one what his own eye may superintend, that all will be done for the best. What has destroyed liberty and the rights of man in every government which has ever existed under the sun? The generalizing and concentrating all cares and powers into one body."

Will.Spencer, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  6. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is, but still preferable to the alternative. It seems there would be some type of federal corruption charges which could be applicable to state officials. At the local level, if a sheriffs department is considered to be corrupt, they bring in state investigators.

Obamanation, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  7. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BEAUTIFUL, Will, absolutely beautiful!

Thanks so much for that quote!

Corwin, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  8. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people. - - Reserved does not equal sovereignty.

I agree the diversity of the US is enshrined by having State gov'ts, reserved respectively by the Constitution - they are however denied sovereignty as stated. Per the preamble and supremacy clause.

Breeze Wood, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  9. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're right, BW, "sovereignty" isn't the correct word and I should not have used it. But as I stated earlier with my Katrina and Clinton examples, the Federal government is not supposed to violate those powers "reserved" to the States.

Corwin, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  10. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    I might speculate, we both know the Supreme Court has the last say - how they read the text (with or without glasses) and the 4 radical Republican right wingers with Kennedy seem destined to reinvent this very subject in the not distant future.....the tea party, Sara Palin and conservatives at their side.

5 people with a lot of power - maybe one for every state might be a better idea and by population per state as well and of course must be liberal in philosophy.

Breeze Wood, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  11. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Health insurance costs at my U.S.-based company doubled. As a result, we had to switch from the top plan at a premium provider to a mid-level plan with a comparatively low-end provider.

We're paying more and our people are getting less.

This is the change the American people voted for. We get the government we deserve. Yay hope! Yay change! Yay paying more and getting less!

Will.Spencer, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That's what happens when you elect a welfare recipient to the highest office in the land. He knows no better. He's a product of a failed system.

Mia, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I just saw John Q last night. That will be the last Denzel Washington film I ever pay to see. It might as well have been produced by the DNC. One of the premises put forward by the movie was that, had the main character been poor enough to receive medicaid, His son would have been able to get the heart transplant his crappy HMO would not cover. It is so insulting, it borderlines on enraging. When you throw the fact that Ted Kennedy was the one who got the HMOs legislated into existence, one has to wonder how long we will try to implement more of his crappy ideas based on the failure of his previous crappy ideas. It reminds me that when this new bill turns out to be the sh*t sandwich every knows it is, the Democrats will immediately turn around and claim the failure of this bill is the reason we need single payer. Only in government does failure get rewarded. Yet another reason the size of government needs to be constrained.

Obamanation, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  14. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm waiting for Rush to leave - perhaps you can join him?

[video=youtube;GsyQ648uAIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyQ648uAIE[/video]

Of course, Costa Rica offers Universal Health Care for citizens and permanent residents. Might lower his pharm bills I suppose

willybfriendly, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Sure, when Alec Baldwin does the same.

Mia, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  16. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Too late. I've lived abroad for nearly a decade, much of that time spent in Costa Rica. I am intimately familiar with Costa Rica's universal health care. Let me just say this about it. Costa Rica is a peaceful nation filled with peaceful people. If you are going to die in Costa Rica, the two most likely causes are going to be A) you drove on their highways and B) you went into their public health care system for some minor illness. It is not just bad, it is barbaric. Anyone with money goes to private hospitals and pays cash. They are a poster child of why we don't want socialized health care.

Obamanation, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  17. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    That was quick for the above, doubled already (?????) and (of course) it was the Liberals fault....Some will / are fighting the vermin starting by enacting the healthcare legislation and carrying forwards till the battle is won. - - Sorry, its not another country's civilians we are mowing down per the conservatives expenditures but this game can be (?) just as fun.

Have not heard yet from Blue Cross on removing the rider on my back - at least I know it is the law with many other amenities and eventually absolute control by the policyholders than the other way around......All hail Nancy Pelosi.

Breeze Wood, Apr 3, 2010 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yes, ALREADY!!! We received a letter from our carrier at my company 2 days after dip shit signed the bill. They are all going up.

Mia, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  19. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    And running away from the antagonist, their using you for their fodder. The liberals are less gullible and have resources as well and the opportune moment is now.

Breeze Wood, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Try popping that bubble you live in.

Mia, Apr 5, 2010 IP