1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SH404 sef has killed my joomla site

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by neeshu, Feb 20, 2010.

I have tons of pages on my site which were indexed by google, but due to some reason when I purged the urls I found that incoming links to many articles are hitting 404 for no reason, despite the fact that page exists with that url it shows a 404 error

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIN309IN309&q=site:neeshu.com&start=50&sa=N

all pages on this search result exist but opening them shows a 404 error but if you browse the page internally through a website the page starts working.

My traffic has highly decreased because of this whats the answer to this problem, I tried the in built joomla sef but it shows me post ids in url :( help some I am ruined sh404 has destroyed my joomla site

-------------
    Finally I found that there is a bug in sh404sef

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    neeshu, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  2. neeshu

neeshu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it seems that each time I purge the url database it again has to cache the urls and hence if the url is not cached it gives a 404 either you save the article with that url again or you should browse through that article from the front end of your site what a bug and these stupid guys charge you 40 dollars for that silly component it is not recommended at all

Is there any alternative to this bug in sh404 or should I just go on with it :(

neeshu, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  3. LongBeachIsland

LongBeachIsland Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been using joomsef from Artio so far so good I like it. Althought I haven't been daring enough to click the purge urls yet, primarly because i am not completely sure of what it does. it does have a nice backup feature though which will can export the database of sef urls and 301 re-directs. I believe it was under $40 not sure though, I think it was money well spent. It covers allot of plugins and extensions as well.

LongBeachIsland, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  4. Nick252

Nick252 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i had the same problem with SH404sef

for some pages it creates 2 links , one working and one wrong

go to View/EditSEF Urls and finf double links and delete the wrong ones

Nick252, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  5. PalladiumHosting

PalladiumHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Once you purge the URL's sh404sef needs to rebuild them in the database. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to visit your own sitemap.html page.

PalladiumHosting, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  6. ravenx25

ravenx25 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes this has happened to me before, i learned my lesson and i never use that component....it has been like that for a few years i am surprised they have not figured out a workaround for this.

ravenx25, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  7. article.writing.pros

article.writing.pros Peon

Best Answers:
    Are there any good non problematic SEF apps? I used Artio SEF and had big troubles!

article.writing.pros, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  8. gian22

gian22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was seriously thinking of buying this component for my website (see below). But after reading this I'm afraid of buying it. Please PM me with your honest opinion. I want to have friendly SEO urls... but I also have a site that is constantly changing because I add new content everyday.

gian22, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  9. article.writing.pros

article.writing.pros Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are going to install one of these SEF programs then you should make sure to have someone professional help you or handle the install completely. Also its best to install an SEF app. when you build your site...Install it from scratch and your site will grow with it in place.

article.writing.pros, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  10. ebyun84

ebyun84 Peon

Best Answers:
    That component is very unstable. I resorted to 301/mod-rewrites.

ebyun84, Apr 1, 2010 IP