1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How is OnlyWire'ing any different from spamming?

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by Smitten, Mar 29, 2010.

I am well aware that many of you people use Onlywire to bookmark each article, blog post, 2.0 property etc. you ever release. I've been doing so myself, but all the while...

I play this game in my head sometimes when I'm doing my affiliate stuff, it's called "if I were Google would I enjoy this?". Every time I contemplate this question while conveniently clicking my handy top-right Onlywire button, the answer than invariably comes to mind is... "most likely, probably not. you dirty spammer, you."

How is the automatic and utterly selfish, systematic submission of caboodles of random links/pages to the same accounts in 25+ social bookmarks any different from outright randomly spamming the web? Will these 2.0 links really bring about any positive effects? Won't it actually end up hurting rankings?

So, I'm hoping some of you seasoned marketists can help me figure this out.

Smitten, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  2. Dan Bainbridge

Dan Bainbridge Active Member

Best Answers:
    I play the same game sometimes, it' why I stopped posting Angelas backlinks a long time ago... its basically 1 step removed from Spam...

Back to onlywire though, I think it is a little better than spam, and would be much better if they gave the ability to write different titles / descriptions... but I do use Onlywire, only because I can't be bothered to do all this social bookmarking manually - I don't think it is worth it... but still worth it to do a little automated (?)

My rules / method though is to basically not go overboard with it - I NEVER mass submit anything actually on my main site, I only use it for external sites i.e. article sites / web 2.0 sites which link to me, and most of the time I don't submit to all of the sites on the list, but select just a few randomly each time... When playing the game of "will google like this" in my head I do this because I think "well this will be ok with google and its not too spammy" :p

Dan Bainbridge, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  3. evelinawilliams007

evelinawilliams007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You might have noticed already that onlywire mostly has nofollow social bookmarking sites.

There's tons of other places to get high pr links from, don't only stick to onlywire.

You might want to have a look at www.addthis.com, a service with hundreds of socialbookmarking sites, and not to forget about last.fm...

Anyways, long story shory don't only stick to onlywire try to implement all strategies in your link building campains.

Al.

evelinawilliams007, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  4. Dan Bainbridge

Dan Bainbridge Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yeh, if you want just to submit manually to a few dofollow ones then social marker is pretty good for this:
    http://www.socialmarker.com

It will pre-fill some of the info for you and load the sites one by one in its browser based system for you, and you can filter it down to only the dofollow ones if you wish.

Dan Bainbridge, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  5. matthieuim

matthieuim Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use onlywire for fast indexing

matthieuim, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  6. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those are some good tips, I'm remarkably curious about building links through add.me and last.fm

BUT

The issue here is whether Onlywire-submitted links do more harm than good.
    Simply put, my SEO sense tells me that using this very convenient mass bookmark service will eventually start yielding negative results.

I mean, has any of you ever took a moment to browse through your profiles in the services associated with OW? Those profiles get real ugly and spammy looking all too easily.

Smitten, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  7. matthieuim

matthieuim Active Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is that anybody can use onlywire on your site, so if google started penalizing for using onlywire, then people would start trying to bring other people's sites down by bookmarking them.

matthieuim, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  8. jacky8

jacky8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's correct. And you are Social bookmarking things for not just the links but the traffic too. It helps get the web 2.0 properties indexed that won't be indexed on their own.

jacky8, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  9. digitalkev

digitalkev Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been thinking the same way, "will google penalize me for using onlywire?" But i've used it since February and my sites get ranked and are still ranking.. I haven't spotted any negative effect yet. I've tested that by using onlywire, my sites get indexed in 4 days. However, I think that I'll begin using onlywire only for external sites that link to mine, as someone posted here... because it does looks kinda spammy.

digitalkev, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  10. JimBoom

JimBoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Matthieuim makes the right point here... the game to play when thinking about what Google will do is to think of whether it would be easy to be sabotaged by a competitor by doing a particular action. It's obvious to think that anything that would allow one site to sabotage another is not something that Google would allow, or else the WORST of human nature would be unleashed all over the web (it's easier to bring others down than to build yourself up, at least that's what my Dad always said). So Google won't hand over that power by automatically penalizing sites that use social bookmarking services, even if they could detect it.

My feeling is that whether it's spam depends on the quality of what you are distributing. If I write an interesting article on Ezine, I think people should read it, so I will post it in 25 places... it's not spam because these sites are designed to distribute content, and that's what I'm pointing them to. I think SPAM is in the eye of the beholder, and also in the quality of the content, NOT necessarily the degree of distribution. Now if you all enjoyed reading my post you may also enjoy reading my article on How SEO Works ;-). yes, that's a backlink for me... spam? Hardly... it's a GREAT article!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    JimBoom, Oct 15, 2010 IP