1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help needed with my SEO. Am I doing something Wrong?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by achod, Mar 28, 2010.

Hello,
    I wonder if there are any SEO guru's out there that can give me an explanation for this.....

I want my website giftswithstyle.co.uk to rank well for the search term 'designer gifts'
    I feel like I'm doing everything right but still not doing very well in google.

Can someone explain to me why the website stylishlife.co.uk is top of google when the homepage doesnt appear to be optimized for the term 'designer gifts' at all.

I haven't found any links to that website with the anchor text 'designer gifts'
    I have been using the term 'designer gifts' alot in directory submissions etc....

Im confused :confused: any help would be much appreciated

achod, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  2. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Both of your domain are UK (.co.uk). Which one is your main target really - Google.com or Google.co.uk? Each of them have to use different strategy.

Sxperm, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  3. eugenekjy

eugenekjy Peon

Best Answers:
    Your on-page seo looks fine... u could try generating a few backlinks to your page for the off page optimization part.
    Btw Have you checked your competition ... designer gifts is too short tail and can be quite hard to rank for.

eugenekjy, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  4. achod

achod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi sxperm
    My main target is google.co.uk but eventually want to crack the international market. last time i checked giftswithstyle.com is for sale... do you think that would be a good investment?

achod, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  5. achod

achod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi eugenkjy
    I am building links, the main way i do that is directory submissions at the moment. I have just started article submissions as well.
    I've done alot of keyword research and i really need to optimize for for two word search terms as 3 word terms wouldnt generate enough traffic.

I'm just a bit confused about how stylishlife.co.uk is first for 'designer gifts' and it doesnt appear to be optimized for that term and I haven't seen any links to their site with the anchor text 'designer gifts'

achod, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  6. jj1

jj1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How old is your site? In my own experience, Google often puts an artificial penalty on new sites - I have just this week had a site rise from p3/4 to p2 at 10 months; for less competitive, loca keywords it can sometimes take 3-5 months.

jj1, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  7. achod

achod Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site is now 7 months old... I know my competitors site is 5 years old so I'm sure that is a big factor... maybe the only thing I can do is keep adding quality content and quality links and just be patient?

achod, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  8. psharma

psharma Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are doing positive work you will surely get results, sooner or later.

psharma, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  9. microman007

microman007 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you build you website day by day. such as add good content, give the good backlinks. and I think you will get your google rank in top.

microman007, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  10. ContentArticleWriter

ContentArticleWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also confused, I do not understand how, without working on your SEO, the site has already ranked. Maybe it is like someone said here, that the Google UK algotrithms are completely different than Google US. I do advice you to try to purchase the regular .com domain. It will definitely be much more helpful. Continue working on your SEO techniques both on and off site SEO. Remember that it is important to ensure that you add quality content on your site, in the articles you write and distribute and create backlinks in sites that have great content in addition to high PR.

ContentArticleWriter, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  11. gameM

gameM Peon

Best Answers:
    My 2 cents worth: Like what Sxperm mentioned, different domain i.e. co.uk & .com may target different strategies. Ask yourself - Are you targeting in google.com or google.co.uk?

Anyway, do more link building to your site with your targeted keyword from related sites! it helps! :)

gameM, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  12. bordergadge

bordergadge Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    7 months is old enough but not that old. So this is one disadvantage.

Next, your competition have page ranks 2 to 5. You have 1, so another slight disadvantage.

Although you do have over 400 backlinks to your homepage which is good, you are currently ranked 677 for the keyword designer gfts. Is this the only keyword you are trying to get the homepage to rank for? Are you putting any other keywords into the anchor text?

One strategy would be to build a page designed soley to rank for this keyword. So the url would be giftswithstyle.co.uk/designer-gifts.html

PM if you need help

bordergadge, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  13. smsinhindi

smsinhindi Peon

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, agee factor is playing a big role.. over the time you can minimize this diff & can rank hing.

smsinhindi, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  14. neovision

neovision Peon

Best Answers:
    I certainly agree with people here, it is the Google Sandbox or the Age Factor that is coming to play here. I am sure if you keep on for some time you will certainly rank in first place :)

neovision, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  15. Rituja

Rituja Peon

Best Answers:
    My dear Because in your domain name having this word "gifts" AND Second thing is you have to use this word "designer" in your website, that's why Google will showing this keyword in search result.

Rituja, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  16. achod

achod Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am trying to rank the homepage for 3 other keywords 'contemporary gifts', 'stylish gifts' (Its ranking quite well for them) and the third keyword is 'home gifts' not even ranking for this one.... Which is annoying because this this keyword is the one would generate alot of traffic. I am trying to do an even spread of all four keywords in the anchor texts of my directory submissions.

So I guess I should just continue doing what I'm doing and wait for PR to increase and site to get older...? Thats a good idea to have one page fro designer gifts... but I dont think that would work well with the site structure.

achod, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  17. achod

achod Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am targeting google.co.uk but will try and target google.com in the future... I guess I should try and scrape together some money to buy giftswithstyle.com then!

achod, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  18. achod

achod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to everyone that has looked at my website and given advice. I guess I just need to be a bit more patient and not try and conquer the world in one day :)

achod, Mar 29, 2010 IP