1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rapidshare Shutting Down Accounts With Infriged Content

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by proxywhereabouts, Mar 27, 2010.

Did you read the latest news about Rapidshare? Looks like they are going to do serious damage to their own business by choosing a drastic action in order to fight piracy. Yes, they are up against people who are downloading copyrighted material using their webservice. Well, we all do know that piracy is not a good thing (well, most of us) but as the biggest or should I say the most famous file hosting company, they should know that everybody knows the reason they got rich was mainly because people buying accounts to download warez (argue if you want but that is the naked truth). With them planning to redirect people who are looking for a illegal files to a page where it sell the legal files, I'm not sure how many days would they survived.

Hmmm..not looking to write about this much longer, will need to save some for the article for my blog.
    Anyway, for more information, you can find this story on the page where it was originally reported.
    http://torrentfreak.com/rapidshare-aims-to-convert-pirates-into-customers-100326/

proxywhereabouts, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  2. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    its about damn time. bravo...

sawz, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  3. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    just becoming lag dogs to the crops, pathetic, turning on pll who actually made them and took them where they are there now . a redirect = a slice of the pie , we drop u lap it up . lol how long will they stay. not much i guess. and as if ppl who share files don't know where to go and buy DRM filled crap . the whole point is nobody wants that. and at that price . !!!

i wonder when the crops tell to roll over and die , will they do that do ??

allthatjazz, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  4. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been wondering about rapidshare for years how they continued or allowed what they do for so long. Obviously they are not the only ones out there, maybe one of the more popular but many others that allow similar. Might be interesting to see what happens.

gameutopia, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This stems from losing multiple lawsuits and the court decision that failure to comply would mean prison time for Rapidshare management.

mjewel, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  6. killaklown

killaklown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    upset much?

killaklown, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  7. kardels

kardels Peon

Best Answers:
    My premium account was just disabled week ago with 72Gb uploaded files gone with it. Im so sad, I spend sleepless nights when I upload those files. I emailed their technical support but they did not return my account..

kardels, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  8. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    lol no, i don't even use it, am too much of a hardcore file sharer to use RS :p but like the poster above me, so they will not refund kids who have bought maybe a 6 month of a pre a/c ? am sure not !! so another scam , but covered under the guise of wait you were indulging in copy right infringement, and this what made RS and when it came to pressure from courts and crops they caved in . they should have learned something from TPB, but there is much difference here too since TPB does something they believe in not like RS who there to make money .

hardly matters , it falls another 6 are ready which give better service too.

allthatjazz, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  9. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    'Were you uploading warez? If yes I can assure you that a lot of developers and coders have spent more nights awake trying to complete their software or scripts. I was a victim from a warez script before and I know how much it hurts a coders business.

wptheme, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  10. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    kardels, are you uploading 72 GB of legitimate files or warez? 72 GB uploading may be tough for you. But can you imagine the amount of work that goes into creation of these 72 GB?

wisdomtool, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  11. zacdavis

zacdavis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you sit there and watch it upload?

zacdavis, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  12. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose it is good thing they do it.

Ibn Juferi, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  13. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    --crops?--

These kinds of sites always come to a turning point - or fork in the road.
    Should we keep trying to eek by and dodge the legal bullets, or try to go legit?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    simey, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  14. article.writing.pros

article.writing.pros Peon

Best Answers:
    I think he means cops...aka authorities...

article.writing.pros, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  15. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think he does means "crops", like a group of people.
    Yeah, pretty much rapidshare do the right thing and it is good for all the developers and owners around the world. But, are they really sure they want to do this as I 100% sure this will pose a very big impact on their earning.

proxywhereabouts, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  16. article.writing.pros

article.writing.pros Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I now what you mean..."just becoming lag dogs to the crops, pathetic, turning on pll who actually made them and took them where they are there now"

Not "crops".....CORPS..as in corporations. Like Sony, BMG, Warner Brothers etc.

article.writing.pros, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  17. crazyblogger

crazyblogger Active Member

Best Answers:
    It a good move by RS. RS is now becoming the top warez uploading site. As other have mentioned, it really hurts the developers who have devoted countless hours of work and thinking on development.

crazyblogger, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  18. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    ohh that was like typo i meant CORPS lol not crops :p

offtopic but am i the only one missing a edit function on post

and on topic RS would be history in sometime, the main traffic or hits were cause of warez , don't get me wrg am all for indie devs and file sharing as long as you don't make money from it but not the blood sucking media MAFFIAA who thinks which can tell me how to use my net . the nature of Internet is free and not controllable .

coming to file sharing MOST of artists themselves prefer their work to freely available as some recent inde groups have themselves released their works and even movies on net and RIAA themselves is facing a 6 billion dollar lawsuit from various artists regarding copy right infringement on their works by various studios , laughable i guess :p

leeme post another article from TF which shows the height of sickness these so called copy right organizations call fall upon,

http://torrentfreak.com/world-war-i...tm_campaign=Feed:+Torrentfreak+(Torrentfreak)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    allthatjazz, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  19. No Cigar

No Cigar Member

Best Answers:
    http://rapidshare.com/news.html

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    No Cigar, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  20. kardels

kardels Peon

Best Answers:
    I uploaded those files from ftp and http via remote upload option. Rapidshare banned the account because the number of IP's using they account exceeds the limit (16).

Btw, good news...! Two days ago rapidshare returns haft of my uploaded files (36Gb). They return the files to my collectors account.

kardels, Mar 30, 2010 IP