1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Server Specification for a Social Network Website

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Quicko, Mar 27, 2010.

Hello,

Guys can you help me by telling me which server's specification is best used for web hosting server.

The website is in PHP/MYSQL.

Tell me about the server RAM, HDD, Processor type.. and so on..

I just need you to tell me about a server and its specifications that would suit a website that is intended to be some how growing social network.

and please can you tell me about how many servers i would need in future? in case the first server gets loaded with users.

Please tell me about that.

Thanks in advance and much respect to everyone.

Waiting for your replies guys. :)

Quicko, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  2. Quicko

Quicko Member

Best Answers:
    guys can anyone replay me please? i'm stil waiting for any replay seriously.. please help me with this.

Quicko, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  3. superfrankie

superfrankie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't have traffic you can get the worst host that will work on, You should concentrate over how to get users later on you will easily find youself what are your requirements, It wont be good to buy a Dedicated from Start go on VPS.

superfrankie, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  4. Quicko

Quicko Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, some people say that VPS is not good as start, what do you think?

Plus, can you tell me the best requirements for VPS that can help the site work?

and what number of users you are talking about that will finally make me go for Dedicated Server?

Please replay me..

thanks.

Quicko, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  5. superfrankie

superfrankie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even you have 50,000 Users and hardly 1000 come online you wouldn't require anything more than a Medium Dedicated, 1GB RAM should be enough and 3GHZ of CPU. Space and Bandwidth doesn't matter at all as we know one can increase it up

superfrankie, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  6. Quicko

Quicko Member

Best Answers:
    So you saying at least I need something close to 2000 people online in order to move to Dedicated Server?

Please confirm from your experience with a number of users that should be online altogether before I move to Dedicated Server?

Thanks.

Quicko, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  7. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not put a little into effort into it first? What are you telling us? A site with PHP/MySQL - you mean like the 100 million other sites who need resources that range from practically nothing to whole datacentres?

How can you expect anyone to give any advice on the information you are providing? At the moment you need precisly nothing, and you won't need anything until you build it. Once you build it and test it you'll get an idea about how many resources it uses and how scalable it is. Then you can start to think about numbers of users and members - which you will get completely wrong. It will either be a roaring success and you've underestimated your needs, or it will grow slowly where a shared hosting plan might be enought to start with.

It's like me saying, I'm going to build something that will have doors and windows how many bricks will I need? And then expecting you to come up with answers without any more information.

RonBrown, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  8. Quicko

Quicko Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info.. I understood this point long time ago, still I'm always looking for info about approximately number of users needed to be online together in order to say that a server is loaded.

Quicko, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  9. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the point, there is NO definitive answers until you know more about your site. I can think of a couple of customers I've dealt with today. One makes very little from their sites and traffic isn't high, yet their server is always working hard. The other customers does medium traffic levels (3-4mbps - between 900 -1200GB a month) but invoice - literally - millions of pounds per week with an average sales value of less than £30 in sales to consumers, and have a server that is doing little more than twiddling it's thumbs, yet both servers are the same specification. Strangely enough, the first one uses php/mysl, and the second asp.net and MS SQL, but I'm sure that's just a co-incidence. It depends on quality of code, size of pages, complexity of code, what it does, numbers of visitor, average page size, processing required.

You won't get a definitive answer, because with the information you have to hand it is impossible to say. It's even impossible to guess. I could say at 4,000 users you'll need a dedicated server but that could be completely wrong. We have shared hosting customers who run e-commerce sites with more sales than that per day, and they don't impact on the server at all. It might scale to 40,000 users, but who knows.

Here's something else to consider. Last week we had a customer with a problem with MySQL timing out occasionaly on his main site. When we investigated we found they had installed a forum on their hosting plan, set-up automated sign-ups, and then forgot about it. Within 3 months it has attracted 20,000 members, 750,000 posts (I'm not kidding), in 735,000 topics - all of it spam. We didn't even notice as it made no visible impact on the shared server 's resources (CPU usage was less than 5% average with 14GB of free RAM) and no real impact on general traffic to that server. Even the database size wasn't that large and we had no reasons to worry. Actually, when we found it, watching the post numbers increasing was fascinating given the speed they were increasing when constantly hitting the page refresh button.

So there you are, 3 different scenarios, all real, and all having different set-ups, and no way of knowing in advance what type of resources they will need until they are working. So, to re-iterate, at the moment, you just can't tell.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    RonBrown, Mar 27, 2010 IP