1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No www. with joomla?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by ElitePrime, Mar 10, 2010.

While I just installed a site with joomla however when I try to access it with the www. it doesn't load. When I access it with http://blank-mypage.com it worked but with http://www.blank-mypagehere.com it comes to a server cannot be found error. Is that normal? And how do I fix this?
    Thanks

ElitePrime, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  2. PalladiumHosting

PalladiumHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, actually this is likely your DNS, not joomla causing the issue. You are probably missing a CNAME record for www in your DNS. Assuming you use cPanel, and your host allows you to edit your DNS, open your DNS editor, go to the bottom where you create a new record. In the left box put www, in the type dropdown select CNAME and in the right hand box put yourdomainname.com (replace this with your actual domain name). Save the record and reload your DNS if it doesn't do it automatically. You can also ask you hosts support desk to do this for you.

PalladiumHosting, Mar 10, 2010 IP
    ElitePrime likes this.
  3. ElitePrime

ElitePrime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok thanks for your help, I'll give it a shot if I can't get it I'll probably ask my hosting support. +rep

ElitePrime, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  4. remeedella

remeedella Peon

Best Answers:
    Also noticed either it was sh404sef or acesef (both SEF url re-writing extensions for joomla) that has the option to enforce www. upon any direction found to your domain!

remeedella, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  5. carfanatic01

carfanatic01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello guys,

I have been searching some updates about joomla and I am happy to read this updates from yours.
    Thank you for sharing this one guys. Keep it up ;)

carfanatic01, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  6. luza

luza Peon

Best Answers:
    re install your joomla will solve the problem

luza, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  7. PalladiumHosting

PalladiumHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it won't. Joomla doesn't care, you can access it using an IP address if you want. The issue is a domain name (hisdomain.com) and a domain name with a subdomain (www .hisdomain.com). Both need to resolve to the same IP address in this case, and as the www .hisdomain.com does not appear to be resolving, DNS is not doing its job.

Luza, not to be mean or anything, but people who are trying to learn and need help ask questions here, and we try hard to ensure we help when we can with accurate information. If you are not clear on someone's issue, ask for clarification before sending someone down the road of an enormous amount of unnecessary work which would ultimately not resolve the issue. Or at a minimum couch your thoughts in a question like "maybe it is a Joomla install problem?". If you don't know the answer, or don't know a possible resolution to check on, please refrain from padding your posts.

PalladiumHosting, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  8. luza

luza Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, i am sorry.
    I think i know the problems. I have faced it before on my localhost. I can't access my site after i installed some templates. And then i delete all of my stuff and re-install Joomla. I am not using the template caused that trouble any more. And that's solved the problem. i can access the site from now on.

Anyway, if you have a problem cannot access your site _http://yoursite.com but you can access _http://www.yoursite.com or vice versa, i am pretty sure that acesef (www enforcer extension) should solve it.

luza, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  9. luza

luza Peon

Best Answers:
    P.S: @Palladium Hosting: i'm sorry, i don't mean anything but answer with the short sentence. But that's cause me trouble. haha. From now on i think i won't answer anyone question with such a sort sentence. But believe me, i have faced the problem and solve it with that way.

luza, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  10. remeedella

remeedella Peon

Best Answers:
    as I said previously acesef will in fact fix it like luza says. If not you may have to make sure how you enabled your SEF settings via joomla and then double check your htaccess file.. SHould be .htaccess and you may need to comment out some features to make it work in that file..

remeedella, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  11. PalladiumHosting

PalladiumHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    No worries Luza, with the template issue you experience in Joomla, it should not impact your admin area. If it does, FTP in, delete the folder of the offending template from your joomla /templates directory and it should default back to joomla's default template.

PalladiumHosting, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  12. prasxz

prasxz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's your configuration.php setting...just find live site setting and add www....

prasxz, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  13. PalladiumHosting

PalladiumHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, one last time. The error he is getting is "server not found". It isn't finding his server and failing to load the site, period, it isn't getting to his site and failing to load a page. Joomla's index.php doesn't care is you call it from an IP address, domain.com, www.domain.com, joomlawebsitefrontpage.domain.com or any name, if DNS cannot tell the requesting browser where to go, it won't find the server. The www in front of his domain is in actuality a "subdomain", the same as mail.mydomain.com is the subdomain "mail" of the domain "mydomain.com". DNS must have either an A or a CNAME record entry for "mail" for a browser requesting mail.mydomain.com to be able to find it. The mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com are like night and day, they could be on completely different servers. DNS will point the browswer to the right server.

PalladiumHosting, Mar 26, 2010 IP