1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying basic plan shared cpanel hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by lowcostlux, Mar 16, 2010.

Can anyone recommend quality host that is here for the long term and just works?

Long term = has been around 3 years+ - no change in domain registration in that time would be the best test of that (difficult to cheat).

Just works = really 99.9% uptime and everything in cpanel that's supposed to work just does what it says on the box without any support requests needed. 99.9% = max 1 hour in 1000 down = 1 hour in 40 days.

Disk space and bandwidth should be limited, other stuff (add on domains, subdomains, etc etc) not.
    cpanel, pgp, MySQL

Support [answering my questions] not important. Providing consistent quality hosting important.

An example package (cut and paste from one that doesn't meet the long term criteria yet):
    Disk Space 10GB 30GB
    Bandwidth 65GB 100GB
    cPanel
    Features Unlimited
    Monthly $2.50 $3.50
    Annually $18 $22

Thanks.

I can recommend one host that I already use who would qualify on the above criteria but want a second one.

lowcostlux, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  2. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    your specs are asking for an overseller. You'll keep finding hosts that don't meet your long term criteria. And most likely, you'll end up getting disappointed sooner or later.

How much space/bandwidth do you actually need? If it's a basic site, I highly doubt it'll use up anywhere close to 10gb

njoker555, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  3. abhijit

abhijit Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 8
    As Buyer:
    0.0% - 0
    abhijit, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  4. WebIntellects - Rob

WebIntellects - Rob Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    What for are you going to use that web hosting account?

WebIntellects - Rob, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  5. toniya

toniya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Better check a dedicated hosting or VPS. It will be difficult to accommodate you in shared hosting.
    Btw take care of CPU usage as well.

Good luck
    Toniya

toniya, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  6. hranitel

hranitel Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You may shared services from webhostgiant.com, this company has provuided resourceful palns at low prices.
    Just check out their plans to see that.
    I do hope it will suit all your needs all right.

hranitel, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  7. lowcostlux

lowcostlux Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Sorry I probably shouldn't have posted that cut and paste offer. It was an example rather than a spec. As you say they are clearly overselling.

One host I already use for 18months+ and I am very happy with is http://www.newgenerationhosting.com/hosting.php
    They have been around much longer than that too. I understand part of their ability to offer a good price is due to being based in India, that's fine with me.

So 5G/50G $4/mo would be a better example.

Am curious ... are you guys doing personal sales patter from mostly high cost countries still going to tell me that's an overseller or not?

At that price level I am guessing it only works (makes a profit) if you are running a completely automated system and/or from a low wage (low living cost) country.

Anyway I am not looking for a specific spec but for a few quality long term hosts and so that I can compare their offers.

I also specified:
    I guess I could have added limit should be realistic however I've no idea what realistic is.

Seems to me that your industry in general has painted itself into a corner with unlimited offers now replaced with silly numbers such that a consumer has no way to judge what is an offer that will not be honoured (except that unlimited obviously will not be honoured at some point).

lowcostlux, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    At the prices you are asking. Expect to get exactly what you do not want:

Someone less than 3 years old.
    A service that just does NOT work.
    Oversold bandwidth and overloaded servers.
    Consistent poor service.

e.g. CRAP.

I'd suggest raising your budget, or dealing with the "CRAP".

Mia, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  9. lowcostlux

lowcostlux Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Budget raised to unlimited as stated already
    - I am looking for what is on offer not a specific budget. Require:

Someone more than 2-3 years old.
    A service that just works.
    States a realistic limit on bandwidth and disk space. If you want to tell me what you think that is, please do so.
    No support service desired except making sure it works.

I have one host already that is all of that. Their service is EXCELLENT.

So anyone who says that sort of budget delivers crap is not 100% correct [In fact I would say they are talking crap]

I now want a second supplier that offers similar. Exactly because I am aware of the potential problem of any supplier cheap or expensive - they may sell up or change. Having a second supplier already used for some sites provides a fast solution.
    I also had a previous host who also delivered excellent service (one that just works ) for several years before selling the business to someone else who suffered too much maintenance downtime.

IME move expensive often does not mean better and sometimes means much worse (measured by downtime, broken setup etc. Someone who sends support in good English within minutes is always offering much worse service than someone who never had to reply to a support ticket because nothing was broken!)

I have one pm from someone who seems not to have a website but has a high itrader. Leads me to wonder why there is no website. Doesn't inspire confidence for long term even though he seems to be making enough people here happy. Reflects my general feeling that hosts on offer in general become less and less trustworthy. There is some sort of logic in this quest for someone who has been around a long time!

lowcostlux, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    13 years of experience.
    You pay for what you get. That's no cliche' ;)

Mia, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  11. lowcostlux

lowcostlux Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well in general I just agree to disagree with you. [45+ years of life experience ....]

You definitely don't get what you pay for (in many areas of life).

On overselling - another observation ... I took a different tack of looking at a monitor site for suppliers who've been monitored for several years and have 99.9% uptime.

Came across these guys who host ING and Toyota (they say).
    This is a similar offer to what you guys are saying is definitely overselling. Is this overselling or not?

No-one has answered what is overselling.

They are Belgian so site in Dutch.
    http://www.1-eurohost.com/

5GB webruimte

150GB dataverkeer
    Ondersteuning voor PHP5, MySQL5, POP3 en IMAP e-mail en meer.
    Slechts
    €25 per jaar

incl. BTW.

(so about 35$/year incl sales tax)

lowcostlux, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I'm talking about experience in this industry, not life on earth.

And, yes, you do get what you pay for. If not, why would you be looking elsewhere.

Look, if you want crap, go for it. Just look for it in the freebies section. ;)

Mia, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  13. lowcostlux

lowcostlux Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    As I already explained I have one host who I am happy with. See above posts. My experience as a user of hosting is also 10years+

I want a second host.

Have tried several hosts in last 1-2 years at different costs (namecheap hosting for example was 2-3x the cost of a small indy from digital point, I tried them because they are a trusted brand who I use and I wanted to see if paying worked). At the time I tried them they were expensive but technically not great (not good enough).

The guys I use [who give the cheapest price] are great. See post above.

BTW There are ancient hosts out there who are really really expensive. They just never changed prices of 5 years ago. By your logic they must be really really good.

I don't know why you come back constantly with the "crap" remarks. I can only assume your reason for pushing the idea that expensive is good is that you are selling expensive crap? Sorry for the remark but please see it as a favour to let you know what other people might think of you based on your comments.... [Disclaimer your sig mentions stuff I have no interest in so I haven't looked.]

lowcostlux, Mar 24, 2010 IP