1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What I've learned about Anchor Text on Google.... Hopefully you find this interesting

Discussion in 'Google' started by Fbos123, Mar 22, 2010.

Ok Please post some feedback of your own experience

Here goes:

1) Ive seen sites rank #1 for say "blue widgets" .... with maybe 100 backlinks...... but maybe only 2 had the anchor text "Blue Widgets", and those 2 werent even 'strong' backlinks

So what this tells me is..... you dont need to have 90 backlinks with the same anchor text.... maybe 2-3 is ok

2) I have a feeling Google can detect unnatural link paterns. For instance.... if you have 100 backlinks... and 90 say:

Blue Widgets ......... and not:

Blue widgets (lowe case w)....... widgets that are blue........ widgets .... click here for blue widgets...... www.BlueWidgets.com ...... BlueWidgets.com.... BLUE WIDGETS (all caps) etc.

All of those anchor look more natural than a solid Blue Widgets ..... I think Google detects that

Ok check this out.... heres my main proof..... my own proof:

Right now, my homepage is targeting 2 keywords (soon 3)......

1) I come up 1st page for one keyword..... that I only have 1 backlink with that title.....

2) I come up 2nd page for the other keyword.... where i have about 100 backlinks with that title........... some from authority .edu sites you name it

So my hypothesis is... Google might discount anchor weight if its excessive

What do you guys have to say about this???

- FBos

Fbos123, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  2. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    If the link was build naturally, Google compliment them and give heavy weight.

WishBone, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  3. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's difficult for anyone else to come to a conclusion about this without knowing which keywords you are targetting, what your URL is etc. It is entirely possible that the keyword you are ranking on page 1 for is a lot easier to target than the other keyword which has a lot more targetted anchor text. Perhaps you could expand on the information you provide by giving an idea about the competitiveness of each keyword. But even then it is difficult to determine anything from this because there are so many other factors, like the prominence of the keyword on the page and its position in your page title.

You only have one example here so it's not easy to draw conclusions from just one example. I'm sure we could find other examples where someone is excessively targetting the keyword in anchor text and is ranking well for that keyword.

Having said that, I think you do raise an interesting point that it is possible to over optimise a page for a particular keyword and I'm sure that it is plausible that it can work against you in some cases if all your anchor text is exactly the same.

simpseo, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  4. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL @ "I have a feeling Google can detect unnatural link paterns"

Google is really good at this and most people have the problem of using the same anchor text too much.

larysmith711, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  5. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google knows the best :D

patco, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  6. Taranfx

Taranfx Peon

Best Answers:
    Google god does depend upon anchor tag text

Taranfx, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  7. Sweely

Sweely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If Google hates LOTS of links to a website with the same anchor... then I'm pretty screwed. Even though this information may not be correct, thanks for letting me know.

Sweely, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  8. supersi

supersi Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm, yes, I would say that Google would discount/penalize excessive use of anchor text. The problem is that we don't know exactly at what point this happens. It's best to use your primary anchor text (keywords) in about 60% of the links, and use variations in the remaining 40% of the link anchor texts.

So if you wanted to rank for "life insurance" and had 100 links, you should give yourself 60 links with the term "life insurance" and then have 40 links with variations such as:

cheap life insurance
    insurance
    cheap insurance
    domain.com
    click here
    insurance rates for life insurance
    etc.,

Doing this should keep your site from attracting undue attention and receiving a penalty/filter.

No links can harm you unless, you get a massive amount (thousands) in a very short period of time (24-48 hours) and from untrusted websites (domains with little, or no history/aging) and with the same anchor text.

This kind of "link building" is the footprint of automated software.

If you receive links gradually, with a variety of anchor text, from a wide variety of domains and IP addresses your site will be fine.

supersi, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  9. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I realised for a while is that the backlink doesn't need to come from good PR site, but the site which is google's baby (which is scanned from google every day few times - when that site publish something it's already on google).

It doesn't matter if that site from which you have backlink has also backlinks.. so you can buy better post for $5, then for $20, but again, it's even better if that site from where are you buying has both - PR and is google's baby :).

intro, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  10. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done some experimenting with this in the past and it is indeed good to mix it up a bit.
    What I have seen is keeping the anchor tags related but not always the same is the best.

So when I start targeting "gizmos" for example, I have noticed it caused me to rise in the SERPs for "widgets".
    A thesaurus comes in handy for this. http://thesaurus.com/

The same holds true for onsite optimization. You want to use related terms along with your main keywords.
    I have also noticed that once your site is aged and has built a bit of authority it is much easier to add additional keywords and terms on your site that will move up quickly even though you have no external anchor text for these terms.

HomeComputerGames, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  11. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    You hit the nail on the head!

tornado!, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  12. Fbos123

Fbos123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is actually getting scary... I really dont want to mess with them...... I might shut my curtains on my windows so they cant see what im typing from their Google Earth satelites... unless they have Google X-Ray vision which could be possible soon

Here check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKOcAePH2s

Fbos123, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  13. Fbos123

Fbos123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Fbos123, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  14. brian65

brian65 Active Member

Best Answers:
    With older sites you can do quite well in SERPs using just internal linking within a site if the terms are not too competitive.

brian65, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  15. Fbos123

Fbos123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a theory about anchor text in Google's algorithm....

I bet that Google detects JUNK links..... and while they may not harm you...... it does set off a trigger for the spiders to check your site even further.......

So then after a deeper analysis bu the spiders, if its found you have an unnatural linking pattern.... then those links may be discounted big time or to 0 all together

And if you have other authority links, then hey... you're an authority site.......

If not, then losing the juice for those over optimized looking anchors WILL hurt you by you losing the few link juice you had

Fbos123, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  16. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen similar things when doing backlink research on my competitors and finding niches that may support this but it is still inconclusive.

reapr, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  17. cristal1290

cristal1290 Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that you need about 60-80% your anchor text, it just has to be relevant to your web.
    That's my experience.

cristal1290, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  18. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So better to target more and more keywords with the same anchor text and get indexed soon.

China_girl, Mar 24, 2010 IP