1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's New Link Filter

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by joeychgo, Apr 7, 2005.

Found this article, thought I would share.

New incoming links are much sought after by every website owner and blogger. It's generally agreed that having abundant relevant incoming links provide a boost to a site's search rankings. Conventional search engine optimization wisdom, coupled with experience with incoming link power, would seem to bear out that fact.

Read the rest of this article here

joeychgo, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  2. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    I just read the same article.

IF this is true. It would then spell the end to the benefits of the ad co-op, Google wise that is.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  3. kewler

kewler Peon

Best Answers:
    There is definately a link filter...
    the sheer high number of COOP ad links you get help you anyway...

but instead of those tracking images we need

- a themed link assignment
    - placement of links for weeks time, now hours

kewler, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  4. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Like shawn said. The coop is for advertising. The links benefits is a side affect.

sadcox66, Apr 7, 2005 IP
    fryman likes this.
  5. rushy

rushy Peon

Best Answers:
    That is if the ad network was designed for SERPs or PageRank - for which it wasn't.

As an aside though, the weeks time link placement would devalue the benefit of an ad network as less ads would be displayed and thus reduce their exposure to what would have been [potentially] wider audiences.

A themed link assignment is a good idea as that meets both the requirements of relevant advertising (though somewhere I'm sure there'd be patent issues <?>) and SERPs. If there was somewhere we could bottle up our ads on DP, like a directory structure, and then have that particular directory of ads displaying on our site, that may be a way round it.

I dunno, I'm a noob :D

rushy, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    This is currently in development. You are required to select a category right now and there will come a time according to Shawn when there are enough members of all the categories to put this system in place.

Hopefully the categories will be expanded then as the network continues to grow.

yfs1, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  7. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The again, why not let the co-op evolve along side the search engine's link filter evolution?

I believe the themed link assignment would be a very smart moove for the co-op.

Likewise the time frame could easily be up'ed to suit (or defy in a never ending filter-time-war) the search engines.

Maybe we could get a team of dp'ers to try working on it a little - preferably for and within the dp world.

miko67, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  8. rushy

rushy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats a brilliant, sound strategy. Fill up the bath first then distribute it to the bottles :D I like the theory behind this and its good to see that their is huge time, effort and thought going on behind the scenes here. Makes me WANT to be part of such a community.

rushy, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  9. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ahh. I jumped last two posts... yfs1 you're right, its slowly coming into themed linking directory structure I guess. And that IS an anticipated moove by many.

miko67, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What's odd is that google and the other engines love "relevant content" but studies have shown that people -hate- reading text on a site, they want pictures or bullets of information. The disconnect is really between engines (who love text) and people (who hate it).

lorien1973, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  11. Svato

Svato Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the categories feature should have been in place long time ago. We should be ahead of Google, not the other way around. I don't see a point in waiting until the network will be big enough. I think we can start with what we have now and grow on the fly.

The links should be be placed on relevant (themed) sites (in categories), and IF there isn't enough of sites in the category, THEN the rest of the links should go to unrelevant sites (just like they ALL go now).

Another suggestion - we can try to have say 3 links permanent for 6 months and other 2 rotating (if you're showing 5 ads per page).

I don't see a reason to wait until the sites will start dropping in SEPRs and start working on it then...

Svato, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  12. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I have never heard that that is the reasoning :confused:

yfs1, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  13. whitedovecleaning

whitedovecleaning Peon

Best Answers:
    can you not link text into pics and so forth making that the next logical step! since img names are used in the linking, they to are searched as text!

whitedovecleaning, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  14. ScottDaMan

ScottDaMan Peon

Best Answers:
    I wont join the co-op because it isn't themed. It would be nice if the co-op did a theme option that allows me to just show site links related to "computers" or "gambling" or something along those lines.

ScottDaMan, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  15. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    The author says there are studies done, but doesn't show any results...i'd be interested in some studies proving his theory.

Brandon

AfterHim.com, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  16. Jordi

Jordi Peon

Best Answers:
    Very insightful statement about the psychology of the web!
    I am sure that in the future internet will change drastically and become more user-orientated.

"Anyone who loves in the expectation of being loved in return is wasting their time." P. Coelho

Jordi, Apr 16, 2005 IP
  17. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    It's moving in that direction and already half-implemented.. setting the groundwork.

Eric

LinkBliss, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  18. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    When joining several mos. ago, I was very skeptical because of the same reasons the article states. There is a delay in the link gaining its full power. Links with Age are much better.. random links I thought it would be worthless. BOY was I wrong. the fact that the ad network spreads so many little links around, there is some smaller benefit to have each of the links and they are on many different IP's/web sites. The sum effect is still powerful.

Eric

LinkBliss, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  19. bnaze13

bnaze13 Peon

Best Answers:
    at least this will improve relevency

bnaze13, Apr 19, 2005 IP