1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you take a .net over .com?

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by AffilateRook1, Mar 18, 2010.

If you found a great keyword for a website you want to start, but the .com is taken would you use the .net version of it, or try to find a different keyword? The search is relatively high and the .com is just a parked page. Looking for suggestions.

AffilateRook1, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  2. puremonopoly

puremonopoly Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the .com is a parked page and the .net is an excellent keyword that I felt I could develop then I would go for it. A .net isn't as strong as a .com, yet it still has a lot of traction, especially if the .com is being parked. PM me the domain name if you'd like and I'll give you my valuation undeveloped.

puremonopoly, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  3. AffilateRook1

AffilateRook1 Peon

Best Answers:
    well its a 135,000 search term and i can get the actual keyword just a .net form. Worth it?

AffilateRook1, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  4. Guttu

Guttu Peon

Best Answers:
    It's worth it. Content is much more important than the TLD. Go ahead and start developing th domain. Good luck

Guttu, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  5. puremonopoly

Best Answers:
    ahh... thats really hard to say without knowing the actual domain name itself. Is it a single keyword or is it a combination of words? I would say... ...if the domain name is more than 12 characters then you're really pushing it and I wouldn't purchase this domain name. However, if its a single word thats really catchy or a short phrase that makes sense to the target demographic that you're going for then I'd say buy it. Yet, don't buy it unless you're ready to develop it into a website.

Also, you really only have a max catch time of 72 hours or less to acquire the domain name you're asking about b/c if it really is a great domain name someone else might catch the domain from viewing recent domain searches.

If you'd like a better examination of your potential domain, PM me the domain. I'm not going to catch it from you. Otherwise, think about the domain name you're planning on purchasing. If you'd be willing to develop it and see it though, then it obviously is worth the Registration Fee to embark on that adventure.

6. puremonopoly

Best Answers:
    If you have a bad TLD your content could dilute and suppress itself. That is the same for having a bad domain name.

Content is everything. Domain name is everything. The TLD is everything. If one is lacking it could weaken the entire website.

Its a .net though so it shouldn't be much of an issue since that TLD is still very strong.

7. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on kind of site you are planning to build, if its a review site or micro niche site, then its ok to have .net or may be even .org if they are available as keyword, but if you plan to set up authority site in certain niche, then its always a good option to go for .com.

getjimmy, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  8. johnjohn24

johnjohn24 Peon

Best Answers:
    the content is more important

johnjohn24, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  9. peter250

peter250 Active Member

Best Answers:
    A dot net is still very good. Specially with the .com being parked. I would go with it. Search terms, keywords, and content count for much more.

Goddluck

peter250, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  10. tonysanders

tonysanders Member

Best Answers:
    i personally never go with anything other than a dot com. but the explanations above have their strong points too.

tonysanders, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  11. petyard

petyard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what do you mean by strong? a net is as good as a com...

petyard, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  12. TigerPublishing

TigerPublishing Member

Best Answers:
    COM, NET or ORG are fine with me.

TigerPublishing, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  13. oxandrolone

oxandrolone Peon

Best Answers:
    it doesnt matter if its com or net even biz or info...depends of your job how u will promote it...

oxandrolone, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  14. VasserPro

VasserPro Peon

Best Answers:
    The suffix means nothing to SE's. It means alot to humans. If the .com is parked, you should consider buying the .com vs registering the .net, as the .com is preferable to humans and it is not brand new, which Google is always suspicious of. If other keywords .com URL's are available, that should be considered, too.

VasserPro, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  15. J1218

J1218 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The suffix doesn't mean anything to humans either if they are just the average web browser. I could care less if the page says .com, net, org, info, or biz as long as it has the content that I'm searching for and I'm sure most other people feel the same way.

Do you think someone would ever search for something and land on a site with the exact information they are looking for but then say, "ah damn, this is only a .net domain, I think I'll look elsewhere." No, that would never happen.

Now if you're talking about the value of a website and how much it will be worth down the road, then yeah a .com is going to be worth more. As far as everything else though including search engine rankings, the TLD means nothing.

So yes, if the .com is taken, you could either try to buy it off the person, or just get the .net. It won't matter at all as far as your rankings go and how people see your site except for the possible value down the road if you wanna sell it.

J1218, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  16. puremonopoly

Best Answers:
    .com's are generally worth more than .net's mainly because they captured the domain market early and created a strong worldwide following that continues to grow substantially faster than any other domain extension. Nothing is wrong with being below #1... everything else just doesn't compare!

Here is the IANA TLD list:

There are a lot of extensions. However, all extensions are not equal. The best TLD's are the most widely used and understood one's;

.com
    .net
    .org
    .edu
    .gov
    .mil

There are some other good extension, however, even they are rather weak;

.mobi
    .us
    .tv
    .co.uk
    .ca
    .biz
    .ru

I wouldn't use any of these domain extensions though because any TLD here and beyond is too weak for macroscale recognition.

.com is worth more because it is essentially the window into online commerce.
    .net is weaker because it had been established for more personal websites and a more generalized group that did not fall into commercial business.
    .org had been established for organizations, groups and not for profits; 501(c)(3), etc.

In economic theory, a square foot of a commercial lot is generally worth more than a square foot of a residential lot. .com is the commercial property, .net is the residential property, and .org is the general community property (i.e. parks, clubs, groups). Using this logic, .com essentially becomes the hierarchy because of already established worldwide socioeconomic variables. 0_o

puremonopoly, Mar 23, 2010 IP
    Ganceann likes this.
  17. Calbert

Calbert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    go for the .net

It makes no difference when it comes to tld. As long as you have a good quality content, some good seo skills you will be ok. Look at one of the most popular blogs on the net - problogger.net - When Darren created the site, the .com was not available. He only recently purchsed the .com version. But he had built up an excellent blog that is making him plenty of money.

the only problem I see with a .net is from a type in. ie someone types in keyword.com before keyword.net

Calbert, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  18. alexs464

alexs464 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If .com is available - get it.
    Many people share their thoughts on the subject, I have actually tested it soooo many times.
    Dot COM will always rank better in SERPS (provided that other domains have similar quality and quantity of content and backlinks).

alexs464, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  19. tswartz

tswartz Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried checking to see if you can purchase the .com? If it's parked, maybe they don't want it and don't perceive value in it.

tswartz, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  20. Super_Vendor

Super_Vendor Active Member

Best Answers:
    .com is always better than .net if the option of choosing is available.

Super_Vendor, Mar 23, 2010 IP