1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help: Does this article meet Seventh Grade vocabulary requirement?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by howtoblogformoney, Mar 21, 2010.

Hi,
    I am a non US writer. Hence I am not familiar with what could be the vocabulary of a seventh grader in the US (or any native English-speaking country).

I am posting a link here. The link is to an already published article. I would be most obliged if members could share their opinion on whether it is easy to read and can be easily understood by a seventh grader in the US and/or any of the native English-speaking regions.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Article-Writing-Tips---Ten-Tips-to-Creating-Quality-Blog-Content&id=3524449

Background for request:
    =================
    I am posting this question because I have been told by friends that writers in places like the New York Times are asked to write on the assumption that their average reader has the vocabulary of a seventh grader. (In Asia, it is the opposite.)

I assume that what works for the print media would work for the Internet too. Only I am not sure what is seventh grade English :)

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

howtoblogformoney, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  2. dorothydot

dorothydot Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Here's a website that analyzes your words... for free! Just copy your text then paste it in the little window. Presto!

http://www.addedbytes.com/code/readability-score/

Generally, your copy does need to read easily, meaning on a 6th grade or 7th grade level. When writing for the internet, it's important to use shorter sentences so computer-screen-reading eyes don't have to work so hard.
    Dot

dorothydot, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  3. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some of your words are definitely above a 7th-grade level: These are some of your more "complex" words: refrain, pen (when you really mean write), hence, primer, daunting, and dearth.

latoya, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  4. shydimp

shydimp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Overall, i believe the article is above 7th-grade level.

shydimp, Apr 7, 2010 IP