1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Twitter Research Shared...

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by thebitbotdotcom, Mar 22, 2010.

Hello everybody. Just stopping by to share a little Twitter research and throw some numbers around. I recently opened a twitter account...@thebitbotdotcom. I searched for friends and began following people recommended using various keywords relevant to my niche. I am the administrator of thebitbot.com.

So far I follow roughly 2000 people (the max twitter will allow with my number of followers). To date, a little over 400 have followed me back. I post ads, usually something referencing a service, like...

"Market Yourself - The Bit Bot Article Directory" (with a non-shortened link such as "http://www.thebitbot.com/articles/")

Every time I do this, I notice that the number of users online spikes from about 2-3 to about 10-15 immediately. These are possibly just curiosity visits, but I am hoping that over time person by person and day over day, they will stay and use the service.

So here is my marketing tip. If you are in to article marketing, build a twitter following by following a ton of people in your niche. Submit relevant articles and then post a link to them in twitter. You should see a traffic spike. It will be short lived, but these are the beginnings of driven traffic and marketing in the traditional sense.

Does anybody else have a similar experience? I know these are very humble numbers, but I am just starting out.

Mark (tHE bIT bOT Admnistrator)

thebitbotdotcom, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  2. Noddegamra

Noddegamra Peon

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you need to add more users that are related to your target audience, rather than just following a huge load of random people.
    The 400 may include mostly automated "follow back" accounts. Adding 2000 followers, and only getting 10-15 visits for new content/links seems like a poor conversion rate.

Noddegamra, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  3. ikidunot

ikidunot Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have twitter friends in the humour niche.
    Thanks for this & good luck.

ikidunot, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  4. thebitbotdotcom

thebitbotdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that is not a great conversion, but it is a start. This was basically meant to show that marketing gets results, no matter how big or small. The main thing is to get started and try. Optimization follows. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated...:)

5. webtarded

webtarded Peon

Best Answers:
    While you may actually be getting occasional visitors, i wouldn't get too excited, those are mostly bot visits.

webtarded, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  6. biglegg

biglegg Peon

Best Answers:
    Well done you have to start somewhere. Through time and experience you will be able to fine tune your marketing but at present you are just starting out so again well done and keep at it.

biglegg, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  7. thebitbotdotcom

thebitbotdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    Trust me. I don't get excited over a few hits any more. I'm looking for quality articles and they are beginning to roll in.

8. nowimhere

nowimhere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Twitter is dying because there is so much spam on there now and days
    although I have made some sales, I would not rely to much on it.

BTW I have about 8000 followers...

nowimhere, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  9. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a wordpress plugin that posts each blog post to twitter. It works rather well and on a good post I can pick up about 5 followers. On the best articles around 10-15. It really has to do with the subject of the post. On average about 1-2 per post or blog.. Something to consider in your research.

reapr, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  10. thebitbotdotcom

thebitbotdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    8000! That is excellent! I don't think twitter will die anytime soon. It does provide a useful service. Now I can see them refining their formula to increasingly limit spam though.

11. joshvelco

joshvelco Peon

Best Answers:
    I have experience some similar results

joshvelco, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  12. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The disparity between the number of accounts you are following, and the number that are following you, is something you need to address. Following a lot more than follow you - especially in a short period of time - is one of the metrics Twitter uses to evaluate spam accounts, and every few months they have a sweep and close loads of spam accounts. Use tools like friendorfollw and twitcleaner to weed out the ones that don't follow back, and/or are clearly spam accounts and stop following them.
    And if you use a shortener that gives you data on who has followed a link, I'm afraid you will see that up to 20 at any time, are bots.

magda, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  13. itsgreen

itsgreen Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been twittering for about 6 months and I think it is a total waste of time.

itsgreen, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  14. moonshine

moonshine Peon

Best Answers:
    Twitter is like anything else if you put the time and effort in it will work. I have a network of over 100 thousand users, granted I have a number of accounts, all with targeted friends in various niches however it defiantly works.

A huge tip would be to network using channels, Twitter works on a real time bases, Google does not. Twitter has real people talking about various things that you are able to tap into.
    Here is a quick example.

Could you do a search on Google to find another human being who wants to buy a holiday and then directly talk to that person who is wanting to buy a holiday in let’s say Scotland? I think not, with Twitter you can.

Twitter is faster than anything online due to its simplistic values, granted the famous ‘fail whale’ appears from time to time but hey do we really care, again I think not.

I could find people all talking about Twilight New moon and then offer to sell them posters, T-Shirts or the DVD and convert that chat into an actual sale, in fact we did and we did it well. With a little knowhow and a huge following of everyday people you can do it.

moonshine, Mar 25, 2010 IP