1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need opinions on how I should continue with this?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Jordan260, Mar 21, 2010.

I am creating a new website and my programmer told me that I may be best creating:

Full Homepage Design

General Header/Footer theme

and then purchase some of the Web Elements online (web forms, buttons, error messages etc..), have them coded and then he’ll be able to quickly piece together the rest of the pages (in the middle/content area of the Header/Footer template I created)

Does everyone agree this is a good way to continue? I used to try create every page in photoshop and then have them coded. This did take me Ages however but proberly because I take alot of time on each page. This new website would require alot of pages as its a Image/Video uploading website (with a twist =). So I thought the path of piecing together the rest of the pages quickly using the web elements (which look Great by the way and would match my site) may be a good option if people agree?

Regards Jordan

Jordan260, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  2. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well yeah, that's pretty much standard method. not necessarily on the purchasing form elements, but coming up with a base style for forms in general and the coder should be able to extrapolate what's desired from a mock form. Header/Footer/Menu/Sidebar (if present) , all of those elements shouldn't be changing from page to page. A mock up of the content page, a form page, front page and you should be good to go.
    And there's little need to buy form elements, free ones are out there. Go to yahoo's developer's site and I believe it's in the YUI section they give away PSDs for form stuff and sprites too.

shallowink, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  3. LittleJonSupportSite

LittleJonSupportSite Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I disagree. When using cookie cutter applications such as wordpress or joomla based sites you are subject to possible security holes on a massive scale.

IE: When a big 0 day exploit hits the net you are in the line of fire.

Whereas if you coded everything inhouse the code would hopefully be rock solid but more importantly would not be advertised on the web.

I am not saying Joomla or Wordpress are not great CMS portals and from time to time I have even installed them on others servers but for my own projects I simply take the extra time and do it myself.

In the end it is cleaner and you will always have a better handle on things vs. trying to make it fit or work within your template.

Just my opinion.

LittleJonSupportSite, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  4. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    uh think we took the OP two different ways there. Was under the impression he was talking design work not actual coding.

your points are valid though but custom programming isn't fast and the security of your site rests in the hands of a single coder and you better hope he's more familiar with security than average.

shallowink, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  5. Jordan260

Jordan260 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great replys.

To answer the confusion I am Not using any type of CMS system (Wordpress, Joomla etc) its all being built from ground up I have a couple of great experianced coders waiting for the front end to be completed.

I completely agree with the fact once a exploit is found in wordpress for example then Everyone using wordpress could be affected/hacked etc. Thats exactly why im not using anyone else's system.

The web elements I purchased were Very cheap and I got a good amount of them too, Yes there are others available for free but I just felt the ones I found earlier were a perfect match for my site plus the fact there were about 100 in the PSD. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Jordan260, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  6. webdev95

webdev95 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this ... it's really best if you've got the time, save yourself some money and learn programming languages that'll teach you how to do it yourself. There's so much information out there to help you.

webdev95, Mar 21, 2010 IP