1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Article Submission Is A Poor SEO Tactic

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by moneybox123, Mar 19, 2010.

I get the feeling that rrticle submission Is a poor SEO tactic, here are 5 good reasons why article submission is a poor link building tactic and why you should publish your best articles on your own site as opposed to article sites:

1. If you submit the article to an article site and market the article on social media sites, the links will be going to the article site and not your own.

2.If you submit the article to an article site and it attracts links from other websites, blogs etc. they will be going to the article site and not your own.

3. If you submit the article to an article site then the search engine traffic will go to the article site, the readers may or may not click the link to your own site.

4. If your article is great surely you want the readers of your website to be able to read it, if you submit the article to an article site they won’t.

5. Most article sites are not trusted by the search engines so the links back to your own site will hold little if any weight.

Publishing informative articles on your own website and marketing them on social media and press release sites etc. is a great SEO tactic and the rewards can be plentiful.

Publishing the article on your own site and article sites is a complete waste of time as article sites generally generate very little traffic and only one copy of the article will be counted by the search engines.

moneybox123, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  2. pixelman

pixelman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thansk for share infomation. [​IMG]

pixelman, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  3. wilberthemming

wilberthemming Peon

Best Answers:
    Good information man. More people need to start learning alternative seo methods. It's best to diversify your techniques and not just get trapped into one certain method.

wilberthemming, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  4. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    As someone who relies on article distribution services for about 90% of his link building let me respond to these points.

#1 I'm assuming you mean an article such as a submission on EZineArticles or the like? Article marketing is actually a lot more than this. I consider this only one type of article marketing. The kind I rely on is using article distribution for building up many links with each submission. But that said, I also use EZA and I will say that what you are calling a negative on this point I don't see as a negative. This article can rank itself in the search engines (often far easier than a page on your own domain) this gives you another chance at getting a visitor from the search engines (through the article to your site.) For some keywords I have 7 or 8 listings on the top 10. This would not happen if I only put up content on my own domain or only built links to my own domain.

#2 Yes. This is part of the idea. These articles can rank themselves! That's what I love about EZA.

#3 Again, it's all about giving yourself more chances to get the visitor to finally end up on your site. If you rely entirely on your own domain I see that as "putting all your eggs in one basket." I want to give myself multiple chances to get the searcher to my site so I use article sites (and web 2.0 sites like squidoo) as "pre landers" which link to my own site and give me more chances to get people to come to my site.

#4 I almost always put anything that I write that I think is really good on my own domain. Most of my articles are very much just "written to order" ... anything that I write that I'm really proud of tends to end up on my own site... so in a way I agree with you. But only in a way.

#5 There's some truth to this, but I've also been able to get plenty of great rankings mostly through article distribution... quantity counts.

Basically I do your strategy (write good content for my own site and link to it) and both kinds of article marketing ... article marketing one (write not as good content... as quickly as possible and put up as articles on sites like EZineArticles and Squidoo... these are "pre landers" which link back to my main sites) ... and article marketing two (write/spin articles and submit via article distribution sites which link back to both my own domains and the EZA/web 2.0 "pre landers")

The point being that I don't see it as an either/or sort of thing... I see it as using everything in conjunction. But the exact amount of time I should be spending at each thing (creating quality content for my own sites vs. EZA/web 2.0 pre lander creation vs article distribution) is a debate I often have with myself - I'm not sure exactly how I should be divvying up my time between them - but I am pretty sure that they should all be a part of my overall strategy.

Zibblu, Mar 20, 2010 IP
    akki313 likes this.
  5. thebitbotdotcom

thebitbotdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    To begin, article marketing in a link building tactic, not an SEO method.

1. If the information in your article is worth anything, then quality links will point to it and as the PR of your article increases, that PR will be forwarded to your site through the link you place in your article. It is the page the links point to, not the site that matters.

2. Again, if the information in your article is useful and informative and the visitor is serious, then they will follow the link to your site.

3. Your odds of your article being ranked in the SE's is greater than your site if you are just starting out.

4. If your article is great, then you want it to be shown in as many places as possible. The Associated Press syndicates articles to countless websites and they are all indexed, if the site is reputable.

5. I am sorry, but I do not agree with this statement. I launched an article directory 1-2 months ago and Google has practically moved in. Any changes I make are indexed within 48 hours now.

Publishing informative articles on your own website and marketing them via article directories, on social media and press release sites etc. is a great SEO tactic and the rewards can be plentiful.

Publishing the article on your own site and article sites is not a waste of time as article sites generally generate very little traffic only if you do not generate relative useful content and not only one copy of the article will be counted by the search engines.

thebitbotdotcom, Mar 20, 2010 IP
    akki313 likes this.
  6. mwcole83

mwcole83 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry moneybox123, but I believe Zibblu and thebitbotdotcom are right on this one.

I also use article submission as a part of my link building, but you do make one good point about keeping the good material on your own site. That’s why I will write up a quick "summary article" and submit it to several sites as Zibblu stated above. If then the readers are interested in the material they can follow the link back to my site for more information and the rest of the article.

This tactic has been used for a long time before internet articles to get people to view other material. For instance a lot of newspaper columns will divert you to another section of the paper to finish the column and in return the reader will usually look at other columns on that page after reading the original one. Same concept I follow with articles on the web, hook the reader first then let them finish or follow up with the article on your own site.

mwcole83, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  7. AshRo

AshRo Peon

Best Answers:
    Apt Replies.Come out of the SEO world and think about it reasonably. EZA and other sources are not the end of the world. You need to separate the syndication source from the strategy (article marketing) itself. Even with EZA, many people seem to have met with reasonable success. How about what you write is good enough to be accepted on an industry renowned source like Youmoz or ISEDB or any other such site? I believe not just many end users, but other community members may too find it relevant and start thinking of you like an expert. Like with any other tactic, building the trust is essential, rest everythinng follows, Googlebot too.

Ashish

AshRo, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  8. wandu

wandu Peon

Best Answers:
    I definitely agree with Zibblu and Thebitbotdotcom.

For article marketing to work to its full potential, you have to get to know it, understand what you are using it for and then utilise it fully to discover and to benefit from its many different uses.

I am in the midst of article marketing and from experience, find it to be one of the best methods in getting huge amount of traffic to my sites.

Moneybox123 I think is just relating his experience with article submission.

wandu, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  9. luciepearl23

luciepearl23 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's true that readers may or may not visit your website, but Article marketing is still worth trying. Article marketing should only form small part of your overall link building strategy

luciepearl23, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  10. Brad Proctor

Brad Proctor Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to see that. My understanding was that Google would not put more than 2 or 3 links from the same site on the first page regardless. They promote other content to fill in the rest. They call it "Diversity".

Brad Proctor, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  11. newmoon

newmoon Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not agree if you say that it is poor link building methode, article marketing still have some unique things that we can not find else where of link building methode, it is true if we submit hundreds of same article to article directories is poor but still it is count and worth.

newmoon, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  12. thebitbotdotcom

thebitbotdotcom Peon

Best Answers:
    In terms of relevancy, article marketing offer the highest relevant links you can place yourself outside of begging the webmaster of another site in your genre to place a link on his site to yours in an act of mercy. Relevancy is highly under appreciated. IMO it outranks PR in many cases, but in terms of the quality of traffic that it generates in the long run, you can't beat it.

thebitbotdotcom, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  13. MarkAse

MarkAse Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's just be honest here: Is article marketing perfect? No.

Is it a valuable part of a link building campagin? Yes. How many other sources can give you consistent PR 2+ pages over time?

To me, article marketing is one of the most efficient uses of time if you craft 400 word articles in 15-20 minutes.

MarkAse, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  14. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    This is true, you can get an indented listing (2 listings on same page) but you can't have 7 or 8 listings on the top 10 from the same domain name. He must be referring to different web properties.

dcristo, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  15. scheng1

scheng1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of us do not rely on just one method to build links. Article submission is just one method. Actually, when the webmasters download the articles, they will keep all links, including your links and links to article directories.

scheng1, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  16. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what I was referring to! That was the point... That's one of the reasons why it's a good idea to build up links to a variety of different web properties (such as article sites and web 2.0 sites) ... it allows me to dominate a keyword search with multiple results rather than just my own domain...

Another important point is that it gives me more chances at getting a good ranking. Sometimes the search engines seem to resist ranking particular pages for reasons I can't quite figure out - but if I have plenty of different landing pages then that gives me other opportunities if one of my pages isn't ranking for some reason or another.

The OP seems to believe in the "one basket" idea... I don't. I like to spread my eggs around (so to speak.)

Zibblu, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  17. adamfoh

adamfoh Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as the content isn't duplicate, you are likely able to dominate keyword with multiple results from several domains.

Nevertheless, article submission is an useful tools for building traffic and SEO.

adamfoh, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  18. geester1

geester1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Zibblu, aritcle marketing for me has helped me get over 9 websites to #1, NO I AM NOT saying just article marketing but it was a key tactic I use.

If you are not getting any benefit from articles it could be the way you are writting them, my articles have an average 18% click through rate, with my main articles getting 48% click throughs to my sites.

geester1, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  19. albemarle24

albemarle24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having used article marketing for some time, I can say that it can be effective at link building and seems to have an impact on bringing a sites rankings up.

One major problem that has not been noted in this thread is the tide of what I term as "bullying" by EZA and a few others. Basically some of these sites have built up their reputation on the backs of people in our industry, and now they want to tighten the noose, calling for restriction after restriction, often being downright ass-o-nine in their approval process.

I am moving away from sites that demand unique content created to their exact standards, displaying 1 or 2 links that are buried under tons of ads that they get all the income from.

There are just too many quality sites out there now that offer content providers a little creativity, freedom, no hassle publishing and in many cases revenue sharing.

albemarle24, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  20. webmyne

webmyne Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing nice information

webmyne, Apr 1, 2010 IP